Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY power steering and abs

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY power steering and abs

my friend has 99 cx hatch. he really wants to put on a power steering and abs. has anyone done power steering on hatch without power steering? what do you need? post up some comments and info. on how to DIY
Old 12-07-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: DIY power steering and abs (xiLLtegRax)

um, no...abs bad, powersteering bad.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY power steering and abs (skunkwhat)

so has anyone? i think im going to have to do it myself because my friend doesnt know much about car. neither do i but i know the basics. but post some comments on DIY
Old 12-07-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: DIY power steering and abs (skunkwhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunkwhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um, no...abs bad, powersteering bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed..i would rather get rid of that ****
Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: DIY power steering and abs (JDM96SpecCTR)

i honestly think that it would be a waste of time. because it would take so much to make abs work on that car, you would need the abs system, new axles, the control unit, not to mention the entire abs unit and plumb the system.

As for PS, i think it isnt necessary, esspecially on such a small car...
Old 12-07-2004, 08:19 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY power steering and abs (JDM96SpecCTR)

second. ABS bad. PS bad.

But ABS will be a pain in the *** to do, cause your gonna need all the brake lines, hook it up to the ECU, and possibly upgrade knuckles so you can get the ABS sensor on it, not to mention the thing on the CV joint that the ABS sensor reads from. This will be MUCH more trouble than its worth.

The PS is easier, although still a pain, cause youll need the pump, belt, bracket, and gotta take off the whole steering rack and take it off the column. I hate to say it, but appreciate what a lot of us already want. I'd like non p/s steering rack. and if i had ABS, id remove it.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY power steering and abs (2.2XDreams)

well thats what i ******* said but i guess hes not use to no PS since he always had PS. im not fan of non PS either but i love it when you turn with no PS. anyways he is really trying to get PS at least i guess. so anyone has any ideas? i have the basic idea and parts that i would need but need some help.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

remove manual rack
replace w/ ps rack
install ps pump, lines, belt

thats it
Old 12-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check classified forum, you could probably scoop up all the PS stuff for around $50 from someone that has removed it.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:11 PM

R33civic is a postwhore
Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

PS = bangin with a rubber
Non-PS = doin it like the cave men.

A dirty yet good analogy. With PS yeah its harder to turn at a slow speed, but WTF, your buddy likes going slow? Tell him to buy a neon or a cavilier or sumthing. Besides you don't get the feeling you get with a standard rack with power steering. Its actually like using 10 rubbers. Tell him to save his money and get a gym membership, so he can build up them chicken arms. ABS sucks too. ABS is for grandma's that panic and slam on their brakes in a turn. It's about controlled braking. ABS will actually increase your dry pavement stopping distance = bad. It sounds like your buddy might even think about putting 18" wheels on his ridde to make it fatser... I don't know him so sorry for slammin him. At least your head is in the right place. I would tell him my analogy though.

Modified by HondaFanatic708 at 9:31 PM 12/8/2004
Old 12-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY power steering and abs (HondaFanatic708)

dam look at this dumbass posting up some stupid ****.
dont worry about how weak my friend is and if he should goto the dam gym.
i think he can lift prob more then you so why dont you save ur time posting up stupid **** and goto the gym. also i duno if he likes going slow. but im pretty sure
rice boys like you like redlining 1st gear in the dam parking lot when parking lot has full of people walking around.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xiLLtegRax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><U>dam</U> look at this dumbass posting up some stupid ****.
dont worry about how weak my friend is and if he should <U>goto</U> the <U>dam</U> gym.
i think he can lift <U>prob</U> more then you so why dont you save <U>ur</U> time posting up stupid **** and <U>goto</U> the gym. <U>also i duno</U> if he likes going slow. but im pretty sure
rice boys like you like redlining 1st gear in the <U>dam</U> parking lot <U>when parking lot has full of people walking around</U>. </TD></TR></TABLE> Ok I was nice in my first post, I even apologized for puttin' down your lover, I mean friend, because I don't know him. And honestly I don't ****** care. All I know is anyone with a peanut of a brain would have bought a car with ABS and PS if they wanted it. So now you try to come back at me like it will hurt my feelings? Please, I could barely understand what you were trying to say, with all the gramatical, spelling and other such errors. And I'm the dumbass? But c'mon have a little respect, I said YOU DO HAVE YOUR HEAD ON STRAIGHT. But now I have to take that back. Like I mentioned, I don't know your friend, but you don't know me eigther. Rice boys? WTF is that ****. Boy, no. Ricer, **** yeah, I drive a mother ******* rice rocket. I hate stupid little punks that don't know ****. Adding a component is the opposite of removing it. Get a parts list from your local dealer. Don't waste our time, your just not worth it. Read this sentence you wrote and you will realize how much of a dumb *** you are <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xiLLtegRax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but im pretty sure
rice boys like you like redlining 1st gear in the dam parking lot when parking lot has full of people walking around. </TD></TR></TABLE> I didn't know a parking lot could "has full of people". Are you sure your even old enough to drive? Maybe you should step away from the computer and find your 2nd grade teacher, because she did a really shitty job with teaching you ENGLISH!!! Get a life.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: DIY power steering and abs (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Ok I was nice in my first post, I even apologized for puttin' down your lover, I mean friend, because I don't know him. And honestly I don't ****** care. All I know is anyone with a peanut of a brain would have bought a car with ABS and PS if they wanted it. So now you try to come back at me like it will hurt my feelings? Please, I could barely understand what you were trying to say, with all the gramatical, spelling and other such errors. And I'm the dumbass? But c'mon have a little respect, I said YOU DO HAVE YOUR HEAD ON STRAIGHT. But now I have to take that back. Like I mentioned, I don't know your friend, but you don't know me eigther. Rice boys? WTF is that ****. Boy, no. Ricer, **** yeah, I drive a mother ******* rice rocket. I hate stupid little punks that don't know ****. Adding a component is the opposite of removing it. Get a parts list from your local dealer. Don't waste our time, your just not worth it. Read this sentence you wrote and you will realize how much of a dumb *** you are I didn't know a parking lot could "has full of people". Are you sure your even old enough to drive? Maybe you should step away from the computer and find your 2nd grade teacher, because she did a really shitty job with teaching you ENGLISH!!! Get a life. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:36 PM

OWNED!!

lol hes right, P/S is for pussies..if u want PS drive an accord i can turn the wheel with my pinky be a man and drive it without PS
Old 12-08-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (vg7z)

to much work to do both, without it you save weight and like the other guy you get strong muscles. and chicks dig strong muscles
Old 12-08-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: (vg7z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vg7z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OWNED!!

lol hes right, P/S is for pussies..if u want PS drive an accord i can turn the wheel with my pinky be a man and drive it without PS</TD></TR></TABLE> LMFAO

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to much work to do both, without it you save weight and like the other guy you get strong muscles. and chicks dig strong muscles </TD></TR></TABLE>
Not only is the weight a down side, but also the loss of power by running another pulley. That is exactly why my EG came from the factory without AC. AC and PS and ABS are for pussies!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

P/S is more reasonable to put on his car, but not ABS, tell him to really think about if he really wants power steering, its not that bad without it, in are little civics, And thats just another thing you will have to take care of on your car, Just use that money to get a nice set of Tires, You would be amazed how much tires will help in steering.