Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: Lower the amount of rear speaker/pillar rattling in you Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Lower the amount of rear speaker/pillar rattling in you Del Sol

Ok, I'm finally giving back to the community. It might not seem like much but I hope it helps.

Before we begin, I am not sure if this is my unique problem or if all Del Sols have this problem so make sure you check before you purchase anything.

After installing some aftermarket speakers onto my car I became aware that any bass would rattle my pillars. I guess I didn't really notice at first but I kept fading my audio back and forth to see if maybe a speaker blew or something. Apon further examination I noticed this:

Seems like the top part of the pillars were not secured with anything.

I remember when I first took my pillar speakers off that there were the clips that were holding them on. So I pulled the bottom corner out to see if I forgot to clip something properly on the top. (remember there are also screws holding the speaker panels on so don't try to pull them off without removing those.)

I noticed there was a slot and tab, but no clip.

Thinking I might have let the clip fall out behind the seat I started to look. Couldn't find it. I went to look at the other side to see how big a difference the clip would make when I found no clip there as well. I guess there were no clips there (or I lost both of them.) After scrounging around at the universal clips Pepboys had with no luck, I decided to goto Honda. Of course they didn't have them instock so I asked to order 2 (and some other things I needed.)

I received them today. part# 90611-SR3-003 (I think its less than $1.50 each)

Man these are some ugly clips.

Basically you push them into the open slot on the top of the pillar and then smack your speaker panel back in place. (no need to take out the screws and fully remove the panel for this process)

Well I hope this will make you happy for about a week until you find something else that starts to **** you off ^_^
Old 02-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: Lower the amount of rear speaker/pillar rattling in you Del Sol (deadlock32)

havent read it yet..but i wanna be first to post on a DIY..!
Old 02-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: Lower the amount of rear speaker/pillar rattling in you Del Sol (WhiteOut)

YES! i got it
Old 02-27-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: DIY: Lower the amount of rear speaker/pillar rattling in you Del Sol (deadlock32)

hey every bit helps, and pictures help newbies out a LOT.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: DIY: Lower the amount of rear speaker/pillar rattling in you Del Sol (midniteweezer)

Here are some more tips

You should put foam tape on all panels where they touch or connect, it prevents squeeking when you go over bumps, it's almost completely squeek free in my car, makes so much of a difference, just go to the door and window section of a department store.

Dynamat helps a lot too, but the majority of the rattles are the rear window track, which involves removing the window and finding a way to secure it. I have not tried this yet, I want to see what sound dedening material will do the trick first before I start trying to strengthen the rear window.

For people who say it weighs a ton, it weighs 65 pounds to do complete trunk, floor, rear window area and door panels. I'm not trying to brake 10 seconds with my car so i'm fine slowing it down less then 1 tenth of a second for comfort.

some pics

Old 02-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a DIY on http://www.teamdelsol.com which shows how to tighten the targa top to prevent squeaking as well. That DIY will save every sol owner their sanity =P
Old 02-28-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: DIY: Lower the amount of rear speaker/pillar rattling in you Del Sol (superdupervtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superdupervtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here are some more tips

You should put foam tape on all panels where they touch or connect, it prevents squeeking when you go over bumps, it's almost completely squeek free in my car, makes so much of a difference, just go to the door and window section of a department store.

Dynamat helps a lot too, but the majority of the rattles are the rear window track, which involves removing the window and finding a way to secure it. I have not tried this yet, I want to see what sound dedening material will do the trick first before I start trying to strengthen the rear window.

For people who say it weighs a ton, it weighs 65 pounds to do complete trunk, floor, rear window area and door panels. I'm not trying to brake 10 seconds with my car so i'm fine slowing it down less then 1 tenth of a second for comfort.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, how much was all that dynamat. I also put just a little bit around the speakers and beind them.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:55 PM

bump
Old 02-28-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (fodohjr)

ha ha, I gave up on trying to find all the squeaks in my car a long time ago. IMO, the best solution is to put a good stereo system in the car so you can drown them out. You'll go crazy trying to stop them all.