Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dissapearing CEL on new B16A swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissapearing CEL on new B16A swap

I tried to search but the searh function sems to be down.

My buddy just put in a B16A into his 5th gen Civic DX. Everything looks fine and works great until he runs it for awhile a CEL will come on. But if you shut her down and turn her back on no CEL. Also with the jumper no CELs are shown. The CEL dosent come on when Vtec hits. So I am confused on where to look even is there a way to see what that CEL is? Well we re-ran the battery and the ECU seems to have everything it needs to be sure that the ECU has a good power and ground due to the relocated battery in the trunk but the CEL still will not stay.

It throws it after it hits operating temp, the car does not sound or feel like anything is wrong in anyway. He also installed a Teg sized radiator with an aftermarket fan. The thermo switch seems to be hooked up right. Could it be the fan switch? Any and all help is appreciated!!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dissapearing CEL on new B16A swap (Varao)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Varao &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tried to search but the searh function sems to be down.

My buddy just put in a B16A into his 5th gen Civic DX. Everything looks fine and works great until he runs it for awhile a CEL will come on. But if you shut her down and turn her back on no CEL. Also with the jumper no CELs are shown. The CEL dosent come on when Vtec hits. So I am confused on where to look even is there a way to see what that CEL is? Well we re-ran the battery and the ECU seems to have everything it needs to be sure that the ECU has a good power and ground due to the relocated battery in the trunk but the CEL still will not stay.

It throws it after it hits operating temp, the car does not sound or feel like anything is wrong in anyway. He also installed a Teg sized radiator with an aftermarket fan. The thermo switch seems to be hooked up right. Could it be the fan switch? Any and all help is appreciated!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the fan switch will have nothing to do with it. this happened to me right beofre my map sensor went out. if nothing is happening when you jump the ecu, do what i did. i drove around with a jumper on my seat until the cel came. then pulled over quickly and got the code.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt think that you could do that with the jumper? If so I will give that a try.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Varao)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Varao &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt think that you could do that with the jumper? If so I will give that a try.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think it'll do anything with it on..., but it might.

You're probably doing it wrong or something. 'Cause the ECU has a memory, and it will still remember the code after you shut the car off - even if it's a soft code (goes away when u restart the car). That doesn't make sense worth of ****...even a pending code stays stored.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I was thinking the same we have jumped many many cars and gotten codes for all of them. We are not doing it wrong. We thought it was a bad ground or power to the ECU since he relocated the battery to the trunk but we brought it back up front and re-installed it like it was stock and its doing the same thing. A bad ECU perhaps?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Varao)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Varao &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I was thinking the same we have jumped many many cars and gotten codes for all of them. We are not doing it wrong. We thought it was a bad ground or power to the ECU since he relocated the battery to the trunk but we brought it back up front and re-installed it like it was stock and its doing the same thing. A bad ECU perhaps?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry, what i meant was when i pulled over i turned the car off, but left the dash lit so i would be able to pull the code before the cel went off.

syndicate is right, the ecu has a memory, and unless you have disconnected the battery it should be there.

are you sure you are connected to the right harness.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the ecu harness and jumper are in the correct place. I think we are going to look at pluggin in another ECU and see if we have the same issues.