Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean?

I have been having problems with hesitation and power loss, after the car warms up. I have disconnected the knock sensor and now the car is running great. I never had any cells. I am running a 95 gsr swap in my ej. I have tried everything I can think of in the past, and nothing seems to work. I have replaced: Dizzy cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Also, fuel injectors, fuel filter, and o2 sensor.

Can anybody tell me the symptoms of a failing knock sensor?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (SpyderZEX)

hmmm that seems weird to me. but imma post here so itll go to my recent topics hoping someone will answer you and ill learn also. good question
Old 08-10-2004, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (VTECschmetec)

doing the same as VTECschmeterc...

good question

bump for you
Old 08-10-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (SpyderZEX)

What ECU are you using on your current swap?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (Dyzee)

95 gsr ECU. I purchased a complete swap from hmotorsonline.com
Old 08-10-2004, 08:45 AM

up
Old 08-10-2004, 10:12 AM

what year is your EJ?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (VTECschmetec)

ive got a 97 EJ w/ a 97 b20 swap in it. i was having problems with my car surging and i unplugged the TPS and the surging stopped. something wierd with the ej's and swaps, dont want to run right with everything plugged in. i havent got a check engine light either. wierd stuff these cars we build.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECschmetec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what year is your EJ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-10-2004, 04:32 PM

95 ej? i thought ej was the usdm code for the EK's. hmmmmm does anybody have that link to day codes. i need to do some more research. dammit.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a month after my LS swap i am to having the car hesitate a little when im cruzing. feels like someone sits on the hood and holds the car back...
Old 08-10-2004, 05:26 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpyderZEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have been having problems with hesitation and power loss, after the car warms up. I have disconnected the knock sensor and now the car is running great. I never had any cells.

Can anybody tell me the symptoms of a failing knock sensor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

unhooking the knock sensor does one thing...it stops the knock sensor from pulling massive amounts of timing at the slightest noise it hears inside the engine block that it even thinks remotely resembles detonation.

That's what a knock sensor is there for. Helps the ecu determine if it thinks the engine is detonating, it'll pull timing and keep pulling timing until it's happy with the "lessened" signal from the knock sensor.

However, I think we all know what happens when you pull massive amounts of timing out of an engine...it'll run like ****.

so...simply unplug the knock sensor and the ecu will just run with the normal timing table instead of pulling out timing....thus the increase in power you're feeling.

Unhooking the knock sensor is a common "free upgrade" for people with 2.3turbo mustangs and thunderbirds as the factory ford knock sensor SUCKS ***, you can actually tap the intake manifold with a pen and watch with a timing light as it pulls timing at IDLE!!!

only thing you have to worry about with your knock sensor unhooked is....hmmm, why was it pulling all that timing?? time for a thorough motor refreshening. It sounds like you did the basics with the cap/rotor, etc, etc but more likely than not the REAL culprit is your fuel injectors and your valves!

I'd go get the injectors pulse cleaned somewhere like pepboys (at the least) and start thinking hard about popping the head and pulling the valves to wirewheel the carbon off the underside of them and then lap them.

You wouldn't believe how much carbon can build up on the underside of valve seats from the shitty gas these days....and how quickly this can happen.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (stackz)

....bump....can anyone support this? i didnt know the knock sensor did that(pullled timing) damn...you make me want to go check for carbon under my valve seats

good post
Old 08-10-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (murmur9)

yeah thats what the knock sensor does. so what he is saying is completely true. but again why was it reading so much knock?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:08 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECschmetec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah thats what the knock sensor does. so what he is saying is completely true. but again why was it reading so much knock?</TD></TR></TABLE>

could be anything, could be serious, could be nothing.

I personally always like to pull my engines down every 60k or so and completely check them out to make sure I never have problems like this, etc but most people aren't **** like I am

Just remember, like I said, the knock sensor can pull timing for no apparent reason if the noise sounds even "remotely" like detonation.

however, if you unhook your knock sensor and you DO hear detonation (sounds kinda like gurgling water/marbles in a can) under full load...THEN you need to worry and think about giving the engine a once-over to clear up the problem that the knock sensor was trying to quell.

and yes, this is regardless of how much power you gained from being able to run the original timing map with the sensor unhooked haha
Old 08-11-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (stackz)

Thank you guys for the help so far. I don't know if I mentioned it already, but I already replaced the injectors. Maybe I need a valve adjustment. I would love to tear my engine down every 60k, but unfortunately, this is my daily driver and I can't afford to have that kind of down time with my car. I know that the knock sensor retards timing when it hears sounds that resemble knocking. However, I'm more curious of the symptoms of a bad knock sensor. I know that they can go without throughing a cell. Any ideas?

Thanks again guys...

Modified by SpyderZEX at 7:48 AM 8/11/2004
Old 08-11-2004, 06:27 AM
* B A N N E D *

my ecu pulled timing out cuz my cat was hitting the H brace..doesnt bother me tho...my car is still decently fast LOL
Old 08-15-2004, 05:54 AM

I purchased a JDM GSR from HMO and i still need to wire my knock sensor becuase the motor hesitates in acceleration and the knock sensor retards the timing so it should be done because the motor does not run as well without the knock sensor
Old 08-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

unhooking the knock sensor does one thing...it stops the knock sensor from pulling massive amounts of timing at the slightest noise it hears inside the engine block that it even thinks remotely resembles detonation.

That's what a knock sensor is there for. Helps the ecu determine if it thinks the engine is detonating, it'll pull timing and keep pulling timing until it's happy with the "lessened" signal from the knock sensor.

However, I think we all know what happens when you pull massive amounts of timing out of an engine...it'll run like ****.

so...simply unplug the knock sensor and the ecu will just run with the normal timing table instead of pulling out timing....thus the increase in power you're feeling.

Unhooking the knock sensor is a common "free upgrade" for people with 2.3turbo mustangs and thunderbirds as the factory ford knock sensor SUCKS ***, you can actually tap the intake manifold with a pen and watch with a timing light as it pulls timing at IDLE!!!

only thing you have to worry about with your knock sensor unhooked is....hmmm, why was it pulling all that timing?? time for a thorough motor refreshening. It sounds like you did the basics with the cap/rotor, etc, etc but more likely than not the REAL culprit is your fuel injectors and your valves!

I'd go get the injectors pulse cleaned somewhere like pepboys (at the least) and start thinking hard about popping the head and pulling the valves to wirewheel the carbon off the underside of them and then lap them.

You wouldn't believe how much carbon can build up on the underside of valve seats from the shitty gas these days....and how quickly this can happen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (Shaun)

HOW ABOUT YOU REPLACE THE KNOCK SENSOR!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Disconnected knock sensor, Now car runs great!! What does this mean? (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HOW ABOUT YOU REPLACE THE KNOCK SENSOR!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is what I'm thinking of doing... but I don't want to shell out the money for ANOTHER sensor ($75) if it doesn't need to be replaced. Trying to explore my possibilities before I just start throughing money around...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to bump this old thread but I need to watch this