Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1.

I got a problem, looking for some suggestions please.
Not even a year ago i bought a Carsound catalytic converter for my 2000 Si from a muffler shop, and now it's burnt. It's making a really horrible rattling (sp?) noise. The cat was somehow ghetto-made to work with my car. They made the bunghole on the side of it, and stuck the O2 sensor in.

Anyway,so i went to the muffler shop where i got it installed. The dude there told me that my cat was burnt and needed a new one. He said he would charge me another 80$ plus like $30 for installation, and this time it's going to be a carsound with the bonghole already on there..he said he don't want to hear no complaints of the price because in the first place it's not even legal for him to be changing it.

I asked him how come that one burnt out so quick, he said it was probably my JDM 4-1 Header, and the exhaust with the silencer on it. He said to just put my stock one back on if i didn't want that problem. He said put the stock one back on if i didn't want this problem to keep happening, but i don't think thats an option unless i take off the header and exhaust also. The exhaust i don't really care, i want to get rid of it, it's too damn loud (Tanabe Racing Medalion). So now i don't know what to do... I'm thinking of just getting a new catback exhaust that isn't so loud, and a cat.. but I'm not sure what exhaust to get.. Any suggestions on what to do? or what exhaust to get? I'm in S.Cali, I need something not so loud.. was looking into the NVIDIA RS*R, but that would bottleneck it alot.. so i was thinking of maybe the ES Oval? Any suggestions?

Sorry if some parts ^ there don't make sense, just got a really bad headache right now..

Cliffnotes: Need a new exhaust, something not so loud but performs well, it's for an EM1 with JDM 4-1 Header on B16A2. Suggestions?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1. (Spoon)

dude that guys smoken crack, first off it is not illegal to change a cat, what the **** are you supposed to do when one goes bad? just leave it. I think not. Second of all there is not way in hell that your header caused that to happen and neither could the exhaust have. He hacked up the last job and now he is trying to scare you so that you don't go to the SMOG/BBB people and let them know he did shaddy *** job.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1. (slammed_93_hatch)

Running rich could've burned out/melted the cat. Running race fuel will kill the cat too. But not the header/catback.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1. (L8apex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by L8apex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Running rich could've burned out/melted the cat. Running race fuel will kill the cat too. But not the header/catback.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hmm.. maybe Kenji ECU? runs rich... but i just put it on like 2-3 weeks ago.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1. (Spoon)

Bingo! Don't know how often you drive your car in 2-3 weeks but it might be enough to ruin the cat. What's your air:fuel ratio now?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1. (L8apex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by L8apex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bingo! Don't know how often you drive your car in 2-3 weeks but it might be enough to ruin the cat. What's your air:fuel ratio now?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Havent got my car tuned yet.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1. (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude that guys smoken crack, first off it is not illegal to change a cat, what the **** are you supposed to do when one goes bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes!!! It is illegal to change the cat on an OBD2 vehicle.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dilema.. need suggestions for my EM1. (Gump)

Damn what the hell? If you get even the slightest bad feeling about a particular business, turn around and run like hell. Especially if you catch them in a lie!! Take your money elsewhere. Trust yourself young jedi. What are you going to gain by going back to that guy? Exhaust shops are a dime a dozen.

It's only illegal to change a cat under certain conditions, like say, if it's not even bad. If you want to know for sure, ask to keep the old cat.