Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Difference between jdm and usdm

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between jdm and usdm

Yes I know this might sound massively rookie to you guys but I did not know there was usdm engines and jdm always thought they we'd just jdm..but okay when purchasing a so called Jdm motor how can I tell the difference between a usdm gsr And a jdm gsr engine? Just by looking at it..thanx guys
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between jdm and usdm

LOOK IN THE FAQS RIGHT ABOVE YOUR POST. Press the back button and scroll up. Believe I just saw it in there hossss
Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol hu????
Old 02-12-2011, 12:07 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this serious? US-United States. J=Japan/Japanese. DM=Domestic Market. USDM-JDM.
Here's a post all the way back in 2004. I'm sure there are others.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/how-tell-779184/
Sharpen up your search skills. You aren't the first person to ask this question.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before being a jerk read carefully >=|..of course we know what Jdm and Usdm stands for..the question is noticing the difference in the engine by eye sight
Old 02-12-2011, 01:26 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you even read the post at the link I gave you? Did you even try to search this for yourself?
Originally Posted by VTECVillain
Valve covers are easy to change so never go by that. ALL USDM motors have a suffix number after the engine code. EX: a USDM GSR is a B18C1 and a USDM ITR is a B18C5. JDM motors don't use the number suffix so both the GSR and ITR are a B18C. It's still obvious to be able to tell the JDM GSR and ITR apart if you know the motors. There are other castings such as the ones on the head above the exhaust ports and other small distinctions to help identify blocks and heads.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 02-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDM engine 4 character- I.E. B18C, B16A, B18B, etc.
USDM engine 5 character- I.E. B18C1, B16A2, B18B1, etc.

It's not that hard everyone, to give a straight answer.

OP, some people on this forum are not as tolerant as others towards new people and it's much easier to just say "Search", But know for future reference, most questions you have can easily be answered in the FAQ section or google and they should be your first stop before posting a question that has been beat to death over the years.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market.
USDM = United State Domestic Market....
Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look at the engine code on the block
Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tlarimer
OP, some people on this forum are not as tolerant as others towards new people and it's much easier to just say "Search", But know for future reference, most questions you have can easily be answered in the FAQ section or google and they should be your first stop before posting a question that has been beat to death over the years.
Read the second post. I told him to press the back button and scroll up. As in switch to the previous page and scroll up to where it says FAQs...yet huh. Its all right there. Was not trying to be a dick to the noob...I called his hosss :D
Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarimer
JDM engine 4 character- I.E. B18C, B16A, B18B, etc.
USDM engine 5 character- I.E. B18C1, B16A2, B18B1, etc.

It's not that hard everyone, to give a straight answer.
If anyone's listening, be more like this guy ^ Answer the question, or politely direct the OP to the FAQ section.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea thanx guys two those who helped and gave me tha link appreciate it guys
Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Is this serious? US-United States. J=Japan/Japanese. DM=Domestic Market. USDM-JDM.
Here's a post all the way back in 2004. I'm sure there are others.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779184
Sharpen up your search skills. You aren't the first person to ask this question.
I understand the "search it first logic" but when you answer that way on every single thread it kinda defeats the purpose of having a forum in the first place. I found this thread "SEARCHING" google as "JDM differences USDM". I was looking for a legit check list of all differences, I already know the acronyms, ive also heard from reputable persons about "oil squirters" in JDM blocks that do not appear in USDM blocks. What im getting at is, Why waste your time having a place where people can talk about a subject when you tell them to look else ware anytime they ask a question..AND furthermore,. if you had a better setup for FAQs you may not have so many as you call "wasted threads" asking questions that were answered before. BTW he wont be the last either, being **** about it isnt getting anyone anywhere. People like this are why Honda fans are looked at in a bad light, no respect.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daydreamfaze
I understand the "search it first logic" but when you answer that way on every single thread it kinda defeats the purpose of having a forum in the first place. I found this thread "SEARCHING" google as "JDM differences USDM". I was looking for a legit check list of all differences, I already know the acronyms, ive also heard from reputable persons about "oil squirters" in JDM blocks that do not appear in USDM blocks. What im getting at is, Why waste your time having a place where people can talk about a subject when you tell them to look else ware anytime they ask a question..AND furthermore,. if you had a better setup for FAQs you may not have so many as you call "wasted threads" asking questions that were answered before. BTW he wont be the last either, being **** about it isnt getting anyone anywhere. People like this are why Honda fans are looked at in a bad light, no respect.
thats one helluva 1st post..

We tell people to search cuz this has been answered a thousand times already. When the noobs come on here, theyre lazy and dont want to do the research for themselves and they want to be spoon fed the info.

These cars are 12-25 years old which means thats years of info that has been already covered a thousand times already and a simple google search is alot easier then typing out a whole thread.

Its not people like this that makes the scene look bad. Its the people with the shocker stickers, useless bike racks, and fruity colored wheels.

Read this NOOBS as both explain alot

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/e...ays_spotlight/

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/e...eces_of_flair/