Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Did my friend mess up his clutch? (kinda long explanation)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did my friend mess up his clutch? (kinda long explanation)

Hi, my friend, SOHCVTEC thinks he messed up his ACT clutch.

After we installed his greddy gauges, he wanted to test if they worked. So he decides to gun it when we came to a stop sign. He shifted fine to first gear, then miss shifted/grinded 2nd, then shifted to 3rd, but the weird thing was the car was still stuck in 2nd gear eventhough the stick was in 3rd gear.

So we decide to pull into a church to see what happend. After checking for leaks (there were none), he started the car, but was unable to shift into any gear. With the car off, we can shift into any gear. So we decided to try to start in 1st gear with the clutch all the way to the floor. The car started, but the car was moving as if the car was in first gear even with the clutch to the floor.

We checked the master and slave assembly, both were fine, so we're guessing that he either messed up his pressure plate or clutch.

Well, my questions are:

1) Is there any solenoid that controls/locks the transmission?
2) If we some how grounded the gauges to a wire off of a harness, will it somehow effect the transmission?
3) Can you give me some reason to why we can't shift into any gear when the car is started in neutral?

Thanks in advance.

~ouprimetime
Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Did my friend mess up his clutch? (ouprimetime)

Sounds like you need to drop the tranny and look at that clutch. Because if you could shift into any gear when the car is off but not when its on then the tranny should be fine (unless if it was fucked while you were moving/driving)

Also what the hell do you mean by this?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ouprimetime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2) If we some how grounded the gauges to a wire off of a harness, will it somehow effect the transmission?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not just ground the gauges to a bolt off the car? And no it wouldnt effect the tranny.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Did my friend mess up his clutch? (Luserkid)

we hooked up the grounds of all the gauges up to a ground wire that was on a harness that we thought was the ignition harness. I don't know why we didn't connect those grounds to the car chassis.

What do I look for when I drop the tranny? What will be some defects/problems to look for when inspecting the clutch and pressure plate?

thanks ht
~ouprimetime
Old 07-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Did my friend mess up his clutch? (ouprimetime)

Look for anything out of the ordinary. Like broken pieces, unevenness (sp?), is everything lined up. Just look for stuff out of the ordinary.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Did my friend mess up his clutch? (Luserkid)

Are you sure it's SOHC VTEC and NOT...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=916532

If not that's a weird coincidence.

Anyways, I think he needs to pull his clutch like I did. Replacing the MC solved it at first but it was still tough getting into gear. About three days later it was doing the same thing again. Replacing the clutch solved my problem once and for all.

Modified by crashN2u at 11:14 PM 7/8/2004