Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol weight reduction?

Ok, ive taken out everything possible that bols in-out that you can. I have no Ac,power steering, seatbelts, airbags, carpet, c/f hood, 1 seat, etc.....Im looking for more weight reduction- i have a dremel and power saws that im not afraid to use. anyone know of any other noticable weight reduction I can do- Im not talking about spending money like fuel cells or what not. I guess just let me know if any of you have done other stuff.

Im in the process of swapping in a jdm d15 sohc vtec- i had a d16z6(now blown), and ran a 15.3 fully stock on 60% tread tires. I really want to get in the 14's, if anything i'm expecting like a 14.9999999999.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:21 AM

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (JDMDELSOL)

You can ditch all the vents and tubing etc in the dash.
Take out the radio support etc... Basically anything in there that you don't need and will not keep the dash from being in there.
Remove ws wipers, tank, and brain. If you still drive it just use Rain X often. Cruise control can go if it hasn't yet.
You always can pull the harness and shorten all the wires in it just so they are long enough to reach there destination. You can save literally about 10lbs there w/ connectors etc...
Have you removed brake dust covers, cat covers etc........?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:32 AM

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (day1si)

Damn,

You took out the seatbelts? I mean, they do weigh, but they keep ya from sliding around too... I'm guessing you aren't looking to drive it on the street then. If that is the case, you can open the doors up and remove the side-impact steel door beams.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:45 PM

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (willahlborn)

well i have harnesses...they weigh alot less then the whole belt set up....I was thinking about this....take out my back window- the whole panel not just the glass, and have my friends dad(welds for a living) cut out the wall in between, so in other words you would be able to see in the trunk from the "cockpit", and then bolt up a lexan glass back window. Does anyone know if thats at all possible?

[Modified by JDMDELSOL, 5:46 PM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (del_sol)

well i have harnesses...they weigh alot less then the whole belt set up....I was thinking about this....take out my back window- the whole panel not just the glass, and have my friends dad(welds for a living) cut out the wall in between, so in other words you would be able to see in the trunk from the "cockpit", and then bolt up a lexan glass back window. Does anyone know if thats at all possible?
that wall is there for reinforcement. You can cut it then probly fabricate something to stiffen up the chassis. Maybe even a custon roll cage that also stiffens up the wall that is used for reinforement. Post pics of your car so far! Us fellow del sol owners love to other sols on this board.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (igotsol!)

I remember there was a member that had his sol down to like 1900 lbs? Somewhere around there. I think his name was Dave, I can't remember his user name.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:55 PM

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (Happyman)

try this
1) a/c
2)p/s
3)targa top holder in trunk
4)passenger seat
5)cf hood
6)cf targa top
7)cf trunk
ive done everything but the last two things
Old 03-21-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (SolLuder)

I've done the same too, hey if you happen to get the roof/trunk lid- post some pics, im waiting to see the quality before I start saving paychecks to buy em'. What did you run at the track? Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:22 PM

If you aren't afraid to use that saw, and you are one of those "Go in a straight line a quarter mile long, as fast as you can" Junkies, then Cut out the floor of your trunk, keep it in the garage in case you ever wanna replace it to sell the car (simple welding). This will make the car kinda fragile for taking crazy turns, but if you're going for weight, and just wanna make a fast track time, I'm sure that would shave you 40-50 pounds. My jiu jitsu instructor also has a diet for radical weight loss. (Chris Brennan) He went from 200lbs to 155 in less than 2 months on a strict diet of one cup canned chicken, and one cup rice per meal. Do that and before you know it you'll shave off another couple pounds. (Soon you'll be as light as one fo those little Japanese test drivers in those Best MOtoring vids) Maybe shave your head too. There, I just helped you get rid of 100 pounds, You're welcome. *repeat in case you can't wait to flame me. I did state that cutting out your floor is NOT RECOMMENDED if you will be taking fast turns. The rigidity of the car is compromised doing that. But if you're dragging, I've seen it work to an advantage.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (forever slow EG6)

Front and rear bumper supports, glove box, sun visors, radio, all the extra stuff behind the dash, tar, spare tire, jack.

[Modified by Slow CX, 1:29 AM 3/22/2003]
Old 03-22-2003, 06:16 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (Slow CX)

You could run open exhaust - that right there's about 30 pounds.

There's also the antenna, passenger mirror, and windshielf fluid resivoir.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (clm)

You could run open exhaust - that right there's about 30 pounds.

There's also the antenna, passenger mirror, and windshielf fluid resivoir.
Yea, but then at some tracks they won't let you run at night.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (Happyman)

Take out both airbags.

check out darksol.com and look at what dave stewart did to his Sol. He listed everything he did and also how much everything weighted.

Old 03-22-2003, 02:02 PM

Take out the sunvisors, rear view mirror, center console, door panels, rear panels, remove the rubber from the pedals, remove the dead pedal, remove fog lights, remove battery hold down, remove useless clips on wiring harness, remove bolts from fenders (just keep 2 on each fender on top), remove power windows, remove heat! by that I mean heater core, blower motor, heat/ac controls, and some tubing and all, remove trunk carpet, put one bolt to hold up license plate, take out bulbs from license plate, remove front reinforcement, remove steering columm cover, remove everything around the gauge cluster, remove lower belly pan, remove the plastic pieces inside the fenders, that's about all that I can think of.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:47 PM

Default Re: del sol weight reduction? (igotsol!)

ill have some pics up within a week or so- im waiting to get my friends digi cam...