Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol suspension

Before someone tells me to search, I learned a lot from https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2368967

I have much of the same problem, my daily driver, a 95 del sol with 70k miles on it , has adjustable coilovers on it made by some (I assume) shitty company.

I drive 8 hours a week on the highway mostly and I have the stock springs for the car but I can't stand that baja stance. This morning my head about hit the roof when I hit a bump going across a bridge and I'd like to change the suspension to still be low, but make it a much smoother ride.

So far I have an idea of going with koni struts and tein springs, and I'm wondering where I can get a good price on these, or if there is a different brand that works better for a del sol. I don't want it slammed but I like the tire and the body of the car to meet.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol suspension (Booz)

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_sea...earch

Are the street oranges something that would work? b/c that setup is only $140 per pair.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 08-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

never cheap out on suspension tooooo much. Most of the time you'll regret it.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol suspension (JdelMsolG)

I wouldn't have dared to put the current coilovers on the car, I've had it about 2 weeks and this was my first trip on the highway =/
Old 08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some pics of it today. Would have had them earlier but wasn't able to get my own jack under the car due to it being just a bit too low.

These are of the front passenger side with the car jacked up and the wheel off:

This is of the driver side with the car on the ground and the wheel on:

I'm really not much of a suspension person, but I would guess that instead of adjustable coilovers the car has shocks with adjustable springs (just a best guess) and idk if they're OEM shocks b/c I'm not sure if del sols were sold with shocks or struts.

I also noticed how in all the pictures you can see where the springs are detached from the very top. When looking at it I noticed that it seemed as if the top of the springs were suppose to be positioned near the top of the shock. So I'm not sure if the suspension is blown or not.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i heard dropzone makes good shock and coilovers that have a smooth ride. i know when they first came out they didnt have a good rep but i have been hearing good things about them lately. the best part is you get a lifetime warranty and the shocks/ coilovers cost $300 shipped.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (umair)

you do realize that being that low will always ride like *** no matter what components youre running, youre bottoming out, get a clue
Old 08-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some tein s-tech springs, they're less than $200 shipped and ride really good for a DD
Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (specoperformance)

with the car set that low you should look into getting a shock that has a shorter stroke so you don't have all that play in the suspension. It can cause problems when running sway bars.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (sde780)

Springs hold the weight of the vehicle.
Shocks/dampers control the ride.

Sooo....a cheap spring with stock, just about blown shocks being bottomed out is NOT going to ride good.

A decent set of springs/coilover sleeves with a decent set of shocks will ride rather smooth, while still being low.

You could always just buy a custom rate set of Eibach Race Springs for those sleeves, and some Koni Yellows, and call it a day
Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First, I don't understand people who just bitch on forums all day. It's like they have nothing better to do than criticize people. If you'd read the OP I said I wanted the tire/body to meet and get some type of decent ride. Not that I wanted it to ride like a cadi, but I do expect it to not be completely ridiculous like it now which is why I came here.

Anyways, where would be a good place to buy the eibach race springs and koni yellows? I looked on Koni's site and for a 95 del sol it only brings me to that page linked above. And you're saying to use the eibach springs with the current sleeves on the car?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (Booz)

ERS= Eibach Race Springs. They are a linear rate spring with custom rates/lengthInner Diameters to fit any coilover sleeve.

Check in the RR/Autox forum, as people sell pairs of ERS for around 70-90 bucks shipped. This means you can have the best in custom rates for under 200 bucks, using your existent sleeves. Just get a decent damper to control those springs(for a single unit shock, I'd recommend Koni Yellows), and you'll be set

https://honda-tech.com/zero...ge=48

Very first post. 325 lbs/in 8 inch length 2.5" ID for 75 shipped. Perfect for the rear of your Del Sol. Look for a 350-450 lbs/in front spring and and some shocks

enough guidance
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evs-One)

I'm just a bit confused when you say to get Koni Yellows which I originally thought of, but then you say to get some shocks like it's different than what koni yellows would be.

Also, what measurement would I need off the sleeve (the silver thing from the pics I guess)?

Lastly, will the suspension in the Koni link above not work?

Just trying to do this right because I'm in a time frame and don't want to order the wrong parts
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do anyone know just from looking what type of coilovers they are? When I described them to the suspension guy in my town over the phone he said they may be McPherson? But I'm not sure.

I was thinking that if they are actually decent it could just be the struts that need to be repalced and I could go with Koni yellows. Then if that doesn't work I can do teins or eibachs.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Booz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just a bit confused when you say to get Koni Yellows which I originally thought of, but then you say to get some shocks like it's different than what koni yellows would be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I highly suggest yellows. You were looking at the Oranges. If not Yellows, a nice shock will suit your needs- but yellows will be the best
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, what measurement would I need off the sleeve (the silver thing from the pics I guess)?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You'll need the outer diameter of the threaded sleeve. If it's less than 2.25", you should go with a 2.25" ID spring, etc

[imq]

Lastly, will the suspension in the Koni link above not work?

Just trying to do this right because I'm in a time frame and don't want to order the wrong parts [/QUOTE]

Yes, it will work just fine- it's a matter of how well it will perform, that is all.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Booz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do anyone know just from looking what type of coilovers they are? When I described them to the suspension guy in my town over the phone he said they may be McPherson? But I'm not sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>
McPherson Strut refers to the suspension design, not the brand of suspension. Your car has double wishbone, coil over shock design. 01+ Civics, Odysseys, Pilots, RSX's, all have McPherson, which is a design that the spring/damber takes place of the upper arm, and the tie rod is connected to the strut. Wikipedia search it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was thinking that if they are actually decent it could just be the struts that need to be repalced and I could go with Koni yellows. Then if that doesn't work I can do teins or eibachs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have struts, you have shocks.
Secondly, better shocks will make your car ride smoother, but those springs still suck and don't perform as well as an ERS setup, or even some H&R/Eibachs
Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much Evs-One

So far I have:
Koni yellows (shocks) 2 for the front, 2 for the rear
Eibach springs with 325 lbs/in, 400 lbs/in for the front, all with sleeves with an inner diameter of 2.25" (just measured)

Lastly, is it 8 inches in length all around, and what length is that describing?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Booz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you so much Evs-One

So far I have:
Koni yellows (shocks) 2 for the front, 2 for the rear
Eibach springs with 325 lbs/in, 400 lbs/in for the front, all with sleeves with an inner diameter of 2.25" (just measured)

Lastly, is it 8 inches in length all around, and what length is that describing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's the free length of the coil spring.

A softer spring will compress more than a stiffer spring(duh). with a softer rate like 325, you should be able to get low enough on an 8" spring. If it's too high, cut a coil off- it does not effect spring rate
Old 08-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should I look at adjustable springs? Or is that just gonna [freak] me up again?

On Koni's site it says the shocks have an adjustable perch? Idk if that would adjust them, just kinda weird about cutting springs.

Modified by Booz at 12:58 PM 8/22/2008
Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sde780)

im running tokica illumina + h&r stage 2 springs, gotta say im happy with it, i could use a little stiffer ride, but it might be perfect for you. car is a 95 del sol si btw.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Solbros Owns Me

the Yellows have an adjustable perch yes.

I'm not saying your only option is to get ERS for your current sleeves, it's just a very cost efficient option.

Any lowering spring- Sprint, progress, Eibach, H&R, etc will lower you close to the tire on fender look, and if it's not low enough, lower the perch on the shock and you should be good
Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is Koni's site the cheapest to get the yellows?

Same question for eibach's site.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Booz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is Koni's site the cheapest to get the yellows?

Same question for eibach's site.</TD></TR></TABLE>

now you're just trying to get us to do the work for you man.

You needed help, They helped you.

Now do the rest of the SEARCHING by yourself.

and no. MOST of the time the manufacturer of the product will not be the cheapest you find the product. Thats the benefit of being an "authorized dealer" of a product, the producer hooks you up for selling their ****, so in turn you can offer lower prices to the customer.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JdelMsolG)

That wasn't very helpful and I did look and found the cheapest from summit racing off of eibach's site. And fyi Evs pm'd me back and said he could get the konis for cheaper.

I don't appreciate people mocking me when I've been trying as hard as possible to resolve this issue.