Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol SiR engine into MA9 engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol SiR engine into MA9 engine swap.

Hi folks, not been a member for long (only just got myself a Honda), and am throroughly stunned by the amount of technical knowledge that seems to be here.

I have had a look through the forum for the information I require - but the sheer amount of technical articles added to the fact that I have no real idea about Honda engine/chassis codes etc. (it took me a fortnight to figure out I have an MA9...) I just ended up confused by the techincal terms that seem to be in use all over the place

So... I'm here to ask either for specific advice or links to the appropriate guides/threads that describe the swap I would like to carry out (I tried searching, but to be honest, the thread titles that copme up really mean nothing to me - I don't speak JDM yet ).

Here goes...

Like I said, I have a five door 1996 Civic 1.5 VTEC-E (MA9 chassis code, I believe) which has the noisiest of noisy gearboxes. In fact, I'm waiting for it to drop out of the bottom of the car.

I've been offered the opportunity to buy the bits I need to put the engine/gearbox etc. from a CRX Del Sol SiR (I think that's right) into my car at a price I just can't ignore.

From a cursory glance it appears that the swap should be (mechanically at least) relatively straightforward (bear in mind my track car is a BMW E30 with a Nissan Silvia 1.8 turbo engine and gearbox in it, so we're not exactly new to engine swaps) - what concerns me is the potential for electrical maladies to strike.

I can have just about whatever bits I want from the Del Sol to do the conversion - but am I going to run into any particular problems? And are there any engine swap specific parts I'm going to need to get it all done in one hit (the car is my daily drive, so I don't really want to be getting mostway through the swap and finding I need a small blanking plate or loom adaptor that I can't get for a few days...)?

Am I as well to take the entire front subframe off of the Del Sol and swap it into the MA9 or is there a better/more efficient/whatever way of doing things?

Any help/links/advice/first hand experiences you could be kind enough to help me out with would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew