Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol one headlight dimmer than the other

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 del sol one headlight dimmer than the other

hey everyone. new to the forum. putting this out there because i'm getting to the end of my rope trying to diagnose this problem i have with my del sol. I will try to make this as uncomplicated as possible. little info of the car; k24 swapped 1993 del sol SI, aftermarket CREE LED headlight conversion kit, and some other goodies we can worry about another time. my headlights are my issue. so to describe my problem it starts like this: start the vehicle, lights on, low beam. starts out normal, as vehicle warms up drivers headlight will begin to flicker between high and low eventually staying on high beam. passenger side during this period the low beam turns high beam (i believe!) and goes very dim. like 15%. now i've also noticed while driving and this issue is present that signals may affect it by turning high low and vice versa sometimes. and touching the brakes affects it. sometimes. and to note that when the power windows are fully down or up and you pull them down more or up more after their max travel it was effect the drivers high beam... now before you all jump to grounds i will explain what i have done so far. so i've given each headlight their own separate body grounds, replaced the multifunction switch and cleaned it, replaced the drivers fuse box and new fuses, moved the headlights to known good vehicle. they work fine. swapped headlights over to the other side, same problems, ran two power wires new to me connectors (used) all the way back to the fuse block connector. and i've done voltage drop tests across damn near every part of the headlight circuit and all less and .1 volts drop on all connections... oh and the DRL module is non existent as well.this is driving me nuts and id like to try to preserve what i can and avoid gutting up the dash to run my own circuits. anyone run into a simple fix for a headlight being dimmer than the other. it is stretch but who knows. i will try to attach a video link of a instance i managed to record of it happening under all the circumstances i just described. check the youtube link.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: del sol one headlight dimmer than the other

This is real simple. Almost certainly the problem is those aftermarket lights themselves. Measure the voltage reaching the light ballasts, at the ballast. If it is normal, replace the lights.

That looks like a terrible light pattern anyway. When they do work, you'll be blinding the crap out of everyone on the road.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: del sol one headlight dimmer than the other

The ballasts are fine. Like I mentioned in the first place I tried them in another vehicle and they worked just as they should. So I verified the bulb kit is ok. The pattern looks poor because the bulbs are all over he map between high and low. I'm also parked on an slope which looks higher than they should be. Remember drivers is stuck on high so of course it'll be blinding. Also like I mentioned the problem exists with halogens. Problem is with the car or wiring not the bulbs