Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol engine swaps

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol engine swaps

Alright im relatively new here. Was wondering what del sol swaps you guys have done and was interested in the handling characteristics of the car with the stock engine vs. the engine swap. Ill go out on a limb here and deduce that it doesnt handle as well with the swap, but im wondering to what extent? Will some minor suspension work correct the problem. Also does anyone know the weight differences between the stock engine and the new one?

Im asking all this basically because im trying to figure out whats better for the car. Engine swap or turbo. Right now im leaning towards turbo because its a whole lot less messier of a job to pull off and wont *** up my weight distribution.

anyways, opinions? thanx guys.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Del Sol engine swaps (Almypal)

I'm going d-series turbo myself, but have researched alot of swaps. Any b-series swap should be fairly straight forward if you have the knowledge to do it. As far as the handling character of the Sol it should stay pretty much the same. Now if you were to swap in a prelude h engine you would probably have to beef up the suspension just a little. I prefer the turbo idea just to be a little different from everyone else. Everyone that is into the import seen here in VA has a swap. Hope some of this will help you.

P.S use the search function at the top right corner. it's your best friend.

Oh, if you want to know about different engine weights just type it in at search.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol engine swaps (solsteeler)

I've seen turboed Type R motor, B20/vtec engines, B16b swaps, Ls/vtec, mini me conversions and the D-series turbo. Any one of those set-ups will be more then enough power.

If you do end up swaping an engine in, I personally like the B18c1 or 5 engines. It also depends on which del Sol you have. If you have the VTEC model, use that engine and rebuild it. An engine might be hard now, but its more reliable in the long run (if done correctly).

If you do a turbo now (d-series) you will have some power for the short run but if you dont know what your doing, u will encounter some problems.

I recommend the engine swap first. As you get use to the more power and if u want a turbo, then go for it. money pending.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:14 PM

well i dont have the car yet, but i am trying to figure out what to do when i do get it. If i want to turbo, then id find a vtec sol, or if im planning on swapping an engine, ill just get a sol si or base model. So im just basically trying to figure out what would be best right now before i invest more money into the car than i have to. I dont wanna buy a vtec then just swap out the motor.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:15 PM

im pretty sure i want to just stick with the stock vtec and rebuild then go turbo.