Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (Hyjnx)

I've been waiting since 97 when i got my car and i have done nothing to it still. Some people just can't afford it. I got one of my friends into it way back in the day. So far he's had turbo gsr with 20/20 paint job and nice volks and b20vtec civic si EG. He always asks me when im going to do something with my car but I don't have the money to do anything to it. Some people have to wait til they find a secure and decent paying job, expecially those of us who are full time, full load college students. One thing i would recomend is not partying too much and don't even try to get a girlfriend. Hopefully next year I'll be working in Japan, so maybe after a year i'll have enough saved up to buy a B18c type R or sr20det and come back and buy an EG or an 240sx hatch to put it in. Good luck with the saving and the waiting. I know how it is.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (KAMiN)

tech, doesnt pay the bills, but it keeps the car rollin...
Old 10-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (Peagreenhatch)

I started saving again about 5 months ago and have a little over 5k so far. I don't know if it will go into my car though. Remember there is a whole world out there and lots of things to do. As much as you might think it right now, your cars isn't everything. You guys talk like don't get a g/f. Well i don't agree, i have a g/f that loves me and i love her and i wouldn't trade that for anything. She gives me more pleasure them my car ever will .

[Modified by mantic6t9, 8:07 AM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-21-2002, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (ejprimo)

save money by not eating out, buying alcohol, or going out on weekend nights to the bars or clubs!
yeah.. but its hard not to .. when u have a gf
Old 10-21-2002, 11:34 PM
New User

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (HybridGSR1)

Im 23 and am a single father
Props man! I know sometimes thats gotta be tough. Keep on going man.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:16 AM

i wrk at trader joes im 21
u wrk alot and save
i paid for most of my stuff wrking at a computer place and a undergorund pagerand cell phone place
another way of makin money is buyin parts for cheap and selling them or trading
i have 2 egs 1 ls powered 1 geezer powered
Old 10-22-2002, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (pkek)

Bus boy at a restaurant work 5 days a week and dont do **** besides work and stay home so I have mad money to throw in the car
Old 10-22-2002, 06:12 AM

im 19 and im a valet at a nice resort, I make about 300 a week and still go to school, tima taking a $6000 loan out for my hatch and selling my integra for the engine!
Old 10-22-2002, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (FASTEG)

Yeah save. I swear my friends wonder why I'm such a cheap ***, never eat when we go out, don't go out sometimes, quit bowling leagues, etc. But then it shows when it comes to what I've done to my car with the bargains I've found. Also just wait and try to find an amazing buy on a swap. If you are impatient then buy one, it's when you're not looking for one that a good deal will fall in your lap Or at least thats how things seem to work for my budgeted ***

[Modified by ill phil, 9:27 AM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 06:32 AM

so basicly...
no life = swap
life = slow *** car

hehe
Old 10-22-2002, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (dniedacess)

so basicly...
no life = swap
life = slow *** car

hehe
Before I got my swap.... yeah
Now that I'm saving for swap #2..... basically. Except I enjoy having more of a life and swap 2 is coming along very slowly.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: damm. (hatchback)

I worked two full time jobs over summer and i got enough money to purchase a bad motor (i didn't know it was bad till installed it) and rebuild it. Just save save save and beg boss for more hours.

that sucks man, where did you buy it? and what was wrong with it?
I went through a local shop around here. I never asked them were they were gonna order the motor from. They first sent me a first gen b16, and i noticed it was not an sir2 motor. We sent it back and two months later they sent me a b16a2. Its was no sir2 but i took it. Replaced all the seals, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, pullies, pumps, etc, etc. We then found out the distributor was bad, and so i went to jersey and got a new one for 250. We put that on then finally started her up and mad black smoke comes out and the car shuts off. Compression test is done and here are the results 175,0,175,175. So now we are in the process of seeing if its bad piston rings or if its the valves. Oh and since i have a y2k sedan we had to do some modifying for the wire harness to work. Also they sent me the wrong axels so i bought new ones, it didnt' come with an ecu or shiftlinkage, so i got new shiftlinkage and got a used ecu. Hopefully the damn thing will be in great running order soon, wish me luck.

Knowing my luck something eles is gonna happen

[Modified by Ridinlowcivic, 7:25 PM 10/22/2002]

[Modified by Ridinlowcivic, 8:22 PM 10/23/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Convicted Spammer

Default Re: damm. (Ridinlowcivic)

19 / m / wa
computer programming
accounts payable auditing

right now i drive a expensive eclipse gsx, getting a civic hb, not sure what kind yet, and do a Type - R swap the b18c5

15 a hour - started 6 months ago
Old 10-22-2002, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: damm. (LyFeWoRx)

Want a swap quick? That means a HARSH budget. I allow myself 80 bucks (Canadian!) every 2 weeks for spending money. The rest pays for bills, food, and it allows me to have $330 a month extra...which I use for car stuff. Plus I'm lucky because I usually get a bonus every year of about $2000.

Just find a good job, spend wisely...and you're set!
Old 10-22-2002, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got mad debt yo.

I will say this. This hobby is not for everyone. If you truly want to get into it, you will find a way to pay for the things that you want. It's fun, but you can't be afraid to spend money.

Like dropping 2g's over the internet for some **** and not ever stressing about it, that's dedication. Or ignorance, either way, it's fun.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: damm. (DevinW)

I make jack **** for income. It's all about accumulation I guess. My '00 ITR got stolen. Insurance actually paid me more than I bought the car for. Sold my '93 RX-7 R1 which had been paid off for quite some time. So basically I had some cash laying around. Bought a '98 DX hatch, Tein SS's, a junker '94 Integra LS to pull parts off, Fastbrakes adapters, a built GS-R motor, a JG Pro Series LS head, JG manifold, 60-1 turbo, intercooler, Defi gauges, yada yada yada. Ended up selling most of the stuff because I kept changing my mind about which direction to go. LS? GS-R? Hell if I knew, so I ended up buying parts for both.

Now I got just the hatch still, with Buddy Club suspension, Okuyama Carbing bars, CTR/ITR swaybars, brakes off the Integra, blah blah blah. Handles better than my RX-7 or ITR did, but has a stock DX motor. Gotta get a GS-R block and send it off to GE for some 84.5mm sleeves.

Bottom line is this: Make sure you know exactly what upgrade path you're going to take before you set out and start buying parts!

[Modified by CheezeFrog, 2:10 PM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just picked up a 93 cx h/b yesterday and will be using my 98 LX for driving to work. I took a 3.9% loan out of my c.c. for the cx, but will have it paid in full in less than 2 months. The 98 LX has been paid off for about 3 months now.

Oh, and I am about to order a B18C1 off the 3.9 credit card coming up within the month

I work for TSA (Federal airport security) so my pay is pretty good. I live at home with my parents though until next year when I have some $$ saved and buy a house and then I'll sell the LX and get something else to drive to work. The cx will be a weekend cruiser or whenver I feel like picking on the ricers

I'm 24 BTW
Old 10-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: damm. (DevinW)

I work in the IR dept of Georgia Pacific in ATL. I make okay money about 505 every week, but I'm contracting so I have no benifits and a son and wife (That is not able to work because she isn't american yet). I owe 3000 on my civic (Because my last hybrid that got stolen had 2 g's left on it that they rolled over into this one) and one day I was about to buy a RX-7 but the guy sold it before I got there.

I was kinda pissed so after speaking with my wife I used my line of credit to get my B18C5. I still have 4500 to pay off from it (I lost my job and got way behind on bills), then my motor took a **** (Another 3000 out of pocket setback). Now everything is slowly starting to get right again. I can't afford to go to school but I'm teaching myself network + to start my MSCA and network security certs.

Until then I'm struggling to play in the game.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm 27 years old. (currently between jobs) but hey, 3 grand for a motor isn't a big deal if you aren't 15 or 35 with kids. It's just a matter of realizing you're gonna spend a lot of dough on sohc parts anyways. So why not save double that and just get a new motor. you know?

Old 10-22-2002, 12:50 PM

I am 17, I am a full time student and going to college soon, and I pull 50 + hours a week during my summer jobs to beef up my account for college. Everyone says svae and stuff, but I havn't seen anyone here talk about paying for everything else first in life and your car second. What can I do to even buy a honda guys? Look at my signiture. I see a lot of people saying that they have these hot cars and the like, but I think everyone needs to realize how lucky they really are. Its not only a matter of saving because I do that fine, its a matter of what you start out with in life. If you don't have something now, that doesn't mean you wont obtain it in the future. Be more pacient.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (ejprimo)

save money by not eating out, buying alcohol, or going out on weekend nights to the bars or clubs!
damn thats why I dont have a swap
Old 10-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (ransack)

if you want something bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to accomplish that desire. save money, work.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm a senior at Ball State University.

I wok for my dad landscaping.

I own http://www.jtw-specials.com

BSU and student loans paid for my 93 Civic CX and B18C1 swap, plus a lot of other ****...

Student loans are great...
Old 10-22-2002, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap... (F20B-iatch)

I'm 16 years old..a junior in high school, and just bought a 1999 civic Si with 50k miles on it...my first car was bought for me by my parents for 1500 dollars (1990 acura integra)... im a delivery boy for the local italian restaurant...i bring in over 300 dollars a week..

thats not too shabby when the only thing you have to pay is a car payment and gas.

just work your *** off man...it will come no doubt.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap...

just save up, i work a full time job.

when i had my turbo civic i was making 8.00 an hour.

it was a 2000 civic ex, the turbo kit was 2000.00 + all the other crap...

all you do is save and save, you can still go out, i did, just dont be treating everyone to drinks. and u get there....

Quick Reply: Dead Serious question for everyone with an engine swap...