Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dead battery on 98 civic leads to much frustration PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery on 98 civic leads to much frustration PLEASE HELP

I really don't get Hondas. Why does the gddamn horn go off when the battery dies? My battery was dead so when I attached jumper cables the horn started blaring a solid tone. When I took them off I stopped. So I reached under and pulled the plug on the horn and continued to charge the battery but 20 minutes off charging and my car would not start. I assumed the battery was completely dead and went and bought a new one, which I might add was EIGHTY FOUR DOLLARS because honda loves to charge 3 times as much for a "reverse terminal" battery (50 dollars more to have the terminals on different sides and pushed 1 inch farther back.) Upon installing this battery, it wouldn't start after that. So by now I realize the horn has something to do with it. Probably a ground for the battery. But I'm tired of hearing the horn, my ears frickin hurt from being directly next to it while my hands bleed, and my parking tickets are starting to accumulate. SOMEONE PLEASE HEP ME, time is of the essence. I'd like to know what I'm doing before I mess anything up. Thank you.

Might I add that when this happened before, I had to pull a fuse on an aftermarket alarm, but now I'm stuck.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 AM

its related to the alarm system hence the horn, get an auto electrician to look at it
Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: (pimpinblackcivic)

plug the damn horn back in hook up the batterie and shut off the alarm!!!!!!!!you know use that clicker thing your car has to shut off the horn.after you do that try to start it... if it dont start then come back and tell us what it is doing. im thinking your coil or something in your dizzy may be bad
Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe its something in the alarm, like a kill switch, which wont allow it to start? The alarm wiring maybe grounding out and draining your battery. Just taking guesses.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the damn giant battery fuse got me stumped for hours once...might check that....sometimes thay are hard to tell if they are blown at first glance
Old 12-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: (BUDtoker)

Thats the thing, I don't have a clicker for it. I bought the car used over a year ago, its a baseline DX. The previous owner installed an aftermarket system, which I disabled under the column for it to start from a jump. Now the battery's completely new and I know that it works because there's juice going to the horn when I hook it up again. I checked the horn fuse, and pulled it. The car would not start regardless. I have it scheduled to be picked up tomorrow, but I'm still racking my brain with the automotive knowledge that I do have. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: (92VXeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92VXeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the damn giant battery fuse got me stumped for hours once...might check that....sometimes thay are hard to tell if they are blown at first glance</TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing happened to me
Old 12-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fuzzmeista)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fuzzmeista &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats the thing, I don't have a clicker for it. I bought the car used over a year ago, its a baseline DX. The previous owner installed an aftermarket system, which I disabled under the column for it to start from a jump. Now the battery's completely new and I know that it works because there's juice going to the horn when I hook it up again. I checked the horn fuse, and pulled it. The car would not start regardless. I have it scheduled to be picked up tomorrow, but I'm still racking my brain with the automotive knowledge that I do have. Thanks for the input.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Remove the aftermarket alarm or buy a new clicker. Why have it on there if it is not even useable?