Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

dangers/side effects of a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dangers/side effects of a turbo?

i was offered a free turbo set-up (5-7PSI) for a month or two to be the tester of the builder's build. my stock VX motor, im worried might be destroyed by it. is it safe to just "pop on" a turbo? will it destroy my motor?

its the 9th or so build that this guy makes, of which the 8th turbo he has built. he wants it tested, but on my car (d15 turbo, his hatch has a b16) so should i take the offer? (includes free installation)
Old 07-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (TenLarge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TenLarge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was offered a free turbo set-up (5-7PSI) for a month or two to be the tester of the builder's build. my stock VX motor, im worried might be destroyed by it. is it safe to just "pop on" a turbo? will it destroy my motor?

its the 9th or so build that this guy makes, of which the 8th turbo he has built. he wants it tested, but on my car (d15 turbo, his hatch has a b16) so should i take the offer? (includes free installation)</TD></TR></TABLE>

It can ruin your motor, depends of the condition of it. Have you treated the motor well? If the motor is in bad shape, I would vote against it.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (JDM-EJ1)

Do a compression test to tell if your motor is healthy. If it is, bolt on the turbo, get it tuned, and you should be fine.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:53 AM

With good tunning you should have no problems at all there are plenty of people on here that didnt start boosting there car until they had well over 100k on there motor. the fact that it is free is great to though i would suggest atleast assisting them in the install just so you can learn alittle bit.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:07 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (spoolingb20)

Screw that its a vx motor, strap a turbo on it blow it up and then get a real motor.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (walker111)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by walker111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Screw that its a vx motor, strap a turbo on it blow it up and then get a real motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

doesnt matter what kind of motor it is, its my only one till i can afford a b18/vtec set-up. im 17 working for minimum wage, took me like 3 months to save up enough scratch for the car, gona take me about the same amount of time for the motor. it has to last me till spring.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TenLarge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

doesnt matter what kind of motor it is, its my only one till i can afford a b18/vtec set-up. im 17 working for minimum wage, took me like 3 months to save up enough scratch for the car, gona take me about the same amount of time for the motor. it has to last me till spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good **** man
Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TenLarge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesnt matter what kind of motor it is, its my only one till i can afford a b18/vtec set-up. im 17 working for minimum wage, took me like 3 months to save up enough scratch for the car, gona take me about the same amount of time for the motor. it has to last me till spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>
personally i wouldnt boost a VX engine.

swap a Z6 and boost that. its a cheap engine to come by and its a direct swap. much better candidate for boost.

for busting your *** to get what you want, when i was 17 i worked my *** off for my b16 swap.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:50 AM

do you think the term "slap" on the turbo is as easy as you think?? honestly, HELL no, theres more things to "slap" on your car besides the turbo. As everyone said, gotta see how your motor is. Hope you have enough money for oil changes. It seems as if that is your only car, gotta keep the oil in that turbo in good condition. If the turbo goes bad, that will ruin your car. Well you should tell us more about this "free" turbo setup, what does come with it. List them out man, then we will be able to help you out more bro!!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (*****est_raver)

the worst that could happen is that you melt your pistons or shoot a rod threw the block with **** poor tuning. i would never slap on a turbo kit without tuning.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (Street Ghost)

as said, do a compression test to see how things look on your motor.

as also said, you must get the car tuned after the turbo kit is put on.

Does this free turbo setup include:
larger injectors
larger fuel pump
engine management (stock ecu can't do it)
downpipe + larger exhaust

At your age, don't have big dreams of the b18/vtec or whatever you want. You can make big, daily drivable power out of a little D series motor.

D series motors are not that expensive, cheap enough that even you at min wage could afford one in a month or two.

Boost your motor now, but buy another D series short block on the side when you eventually save up the money. This way you can build it up when you have the cash, or put it in your car if you blow up your original motor.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TenLarge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

doesnt matter what kind of motor it is, its my only one till i can afford a b18/vtec set-up. im 17 working for minimum wage, took me like 3 months to save up enough scratch for the car, gona take me about the same amount of time for the motor. it has to last me till spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly man, I've been in your situation and I think about it sometimes. And maybe I could've spent the money on something better. There is more to life than having a nice/fast car. Maybe you could save for college?

Don't get me wrong, I love working on my car and putting new parts on it. But, you just have to get your priorites straight, just something to think about.

Back on topic, like someone else posted, I would first run a compression test, this will give you a good idea of how good the condition of the motor is. And then, if you do decide to turbo it, get it tuned and you'll be golden.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honestly man, I've been in your situation and I think about it sometimes. And maybe I could've spent the money on something better. There is more to life than having a nice/fast car. Maybe you could save for college?

Don't get me wrong, I love working on my car and putting new parts on it. But, you just have to get your priorites straight, just something to think about.

Back on topic, like someone else posted, I would first run a compression test, this will give you a good idea of how good the condition of the motor is. And then, if you do decide to turbo it, get it tuned and you'll be golden.</TD></TR></TABLE>

man i know what you mean, but my car is my baby. only had her for two months or so now (or even prolly less) but i love it. a car is just like a woman, except you dont need to wine & dine for it to put out

and the kit includes:
-FREE installation
and the lending of theese parts until late august:
-turbo from a eagle talon (5-7 psi)
-intercooler
-external wastegate and BOV
-custom bent components to fit a civic (oil hardline and ****)
-custom downpipe
-type R catback exhaust system
-Si intake manifold
-mounting hardware

and yes im going LS/Vtec even if it IS a little pricey. what good is working hard for your money if you cant squash the pedal and FEEL the money moving you forward.

also, i really would liek a career as a mechanic even thogh im pretty lame right now. building my LS/VTEC setup with help from knowledge-ables and HT.com, i hope will give me at least the basics and a little experience so courses can take up from where the build left off and bring me the rest of the way.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and yes im going LS/Vtec even if it IS a little pricey. what good is working hard for your money if you cant squash the pedal and FEEL the money moving you forward.

also, i really would liek a career as a mechanic even thogh im pretty lame right now. building my LS/VTEC setup with help from knowledge-ables and HT.com, i hope will give me at least the basics and a little experience so courses can take up from where the build left off and bring me the rest of the way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

99% of the time this changes. I wanted to be a mechanic until I saw they make **** money and have to do **** work all day long. And no, no amount of pressing the pedal down and having my boosted SOHC pull (which is stronger and cheaper than that LS-VTEC setup I might add) makes it worth the amount of hours I worked at crap jobs to pay for it.

My opinion on the car. Don't boost the VX engine if you're tight on cash. Those rods are pencil thin and are going to end up broken. I boosted a mostly stock D16Y7 (a non vtec SOHC engine from the 6th gen Civics) and have had it run great for me for over two years on this turbo setup.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (Ricey McRicerton)

to each their own.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TenLarge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to each their own. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just letting you know. Been there and done that. There are way more important things in life than a 10 year old econobox.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:15 AM

Don't boost it if you're not sure, and don't have the money to replace things if they get broken.

If you blow your motor, will he cover it?

If not, don't go for it.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TenLarge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was offered a free turbo set-up (5-7PSI) for a month or two to be the tester of the builder's build. my stock VX motor, im worried might be destroyed by it. is it safe to just "pop on" a turbo? will it destroy my motor?

its the 9th or so build that this guy makes, of which the 8th turbo he has built. he wants it tested, but on my car (d15 turbo, his hatch has a b16) so should i take the offer? (includes free installation)</TD></TR></TABLE>

If he's just testing **** to see if it works, I sure as hell would not trust him if he is not confident in his own work. If its going to work, he should know this..
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (Retarded chicks are SEXY)

and the kit includes:
-FREE installation
and the lending of theese parts until late august:
-turbo from a eagle talon (5-7 psi)
-intercooler
-external wastegate and BOV
-custom bent components to fit a civic (oil hardline and ****)
-custom downpipe
-type R catback exhaust system
-Si intake manifold
-mounting hardware
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you should search for how much it'll cost to upgrade your fuel system and tune it. I have a feeling that once you see how much you'll still have to spend out of pocket to make it work, you'll reconsider. IMO, go for it if you can find a back up single cam, and can afford to properly tune it.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (Djaric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Djaric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If he's just testing **** to see if it works, I sure as hell would not trust him if he is not confident in his own work. If its going to work, he should know this..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually, he's confident, but he built it for a d series a few weeks ago, then decided to swap a b16 into his hatch for a trip down to florida (he's leaving in a few weeks) so he could pop it on his car, but august is the soonest he can get it in there, when he gets back from florida.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (IHateJDM)

lol thats true, i have wanted to boost my EJ8 for 2 years now, after I have done SOOO much research ( ei: 2yrs of it ) I have decided to wait til i have a shizz load os money b4 i boost the SOB!! which i do have more than enought boost and rebuild BUT remember you'll need time and money at the saetime with mainence! Hope you have time and money to change it every month or depending on how much you drive!! not to mention, gotta remember the thieves, security you'll need..MAN i can go forever and make you change your mind but not my point here. Just do a whole lot of more research, you'll find yourself pondering more about the boost!! Trust me on this one, after 2 yrs im still thinking twice about it!! Lets just say can down half of an 05 SI.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: dangers/side effects of a turbo? (*****est_raver)

im starting to lean against it....think i'll turbo a b18 down the line or turbo a ls/vtec set-up
Old 07-07-2005, 01:12 PM

Did anyone mention that if you decide to go boost, you won't give him the turbo back once August comes around?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Retarded chicks are SEXY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did anyone mention that if you decide to go boost, you won't give him the turbo back once August comes around?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahah exactly, since i boosted my car, it just decided i could never have a car without it again lol......

anyway...

TUNE, TUNE, TUNE
Old 07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Retarded chicks are SEXY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did anyone mention that if you decide to go boost, you won't give him the turbo back once August comes around?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I was just thinking that...what a **** tease.