Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions

H-tech,

I ran into Meinke today to do run my state inspection. Meinke said that everything was okay, but the maintenance light was on. They said I need a new timing belt (my car has 59,000 miles) and gasket, and something to do with the gear box needs to be placed. George Foreman tried to charge me $600+. BASTID, i decided that I'd do it myself. Now my question is....what do I need to do besides having my timing belt replaced? Also, how hard is it? Any instructions? Thanks!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions (puffthomas)

well question number1 and probably the most important info you can give us to be able to help you out... What check engine code are you throwing? thats going to tell you first why its on and help us to tell you how to fix it.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions (monicle)

You can reset the maintance light. On my 2000 DX all I have to do is stick my key into the slot and the red goes to green. Did you mean CEL?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

timing belt at 60K? I thought it was 90K.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions (Clicky Pow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Clicky Pow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can reset the maintance light. On my 2000 DX all I have to do is stick my key into the slot and the red goes to green. Did you mean CEL?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it is the maintenance light (7th gen) just check the manual for how to shut it off. Do you know what gasket they were talking about?

How mechanically inclined are you? How much work have you done on your car, and do you have a service manual (helms)? The timing belt isn't the easiest thing to do, since the crank bolt is torqued to ~200 ft/lbs. You'll need something to hold the crank pully while you use a BIG breaker bar to get that off. It also seems like a little early to change the belt, I know the severe service recommendation is 60K, but I waited until 90 to do mine, because there was no wear or craking on the belt at all.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

since the crank bolt is torqued to ~200 ft/lbs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Careful with misinformation....its actually 130ft/lbs. If he were to go put it back on with your torque specs he'd snap it and have a day from hell with the bolt stuck inside the crankshaft.

Mike
Old 03-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions (EX_AutoXer)

First, I know you can turn the light off with your key. That's been on for a good 6 months. Second, I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I'm learning from my friends. My friend at work said the same thing about the timing belt and how you don't need to replace it until like 90k. Just needed to know what you all thought.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:47 AM

90k , along with your water pump.

Mike
Old 03-23-2004, 08:59 AM
illicon2003

just get another mechanics view point before you make any decisions like that....don't mention your run in with meineke until he tells you that everything is fine.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 AM
WalkingKenshin

Default Re: Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions (sledgehammer)

first, check the belt. is it worn, teeth missing, check the code, and maybe bring it to a small garage, menki is a bunch of noobies
Old 03-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seriously doubt your timing belt is messed up. Take off your upper timing belt cover and check out the belt. They are probably just telling you its messed up so you spend some $$$.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions (SOHC_MShue)

Yeah, he said its "almost time" to change the timing belt. $600!!! I feel bad for people who are scared to work on their cars
Old 03-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i work at mechanice shop, and as far as what you wrote, i think they're just trying to make some money from you,

like everyone said, generally you don't need to change your timing belt till 90,000 miles w/water pump(you can still change around 100,000miles, not a problem)

and if you gonna do state inspection, nothing to worry about your timing belt, they don't check those kinda ****..

and don't worry about your maint. lights, thatz just the lights that comes on for
like minor/intermediate/major service is due.(like asking you to do tune-up(change oils,air filter, spark plugs, drain&refill trans oil..and check fluid level.. etc...)
Old 03-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn Meinke and timing belt replacement questions (sledgehammer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sledgehammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Careful with misinformation....its actually 130ft/lbs. If he were to go put it back on with your torque specs he'd snap it and have a day from hell with the bolt stuck inside the crankshaft.

Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the correction, sorry about that. It's been a few months since I had done it, and I thought it was about 200, that's why I asked if he had a manual I guess.