Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d17 into EG or EK

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d17 into EG or EK

Ok, i am going to bring up a topic that from what i have found hasnt been talked about in a while...

First off this is just a curious inquirey... I have found everyone saying OH CUSTOM HARNESS and COIL PACKS THIS AND THAT... well I have a good d17 laying in my shop and i just stare at that thing wondering why the hell it wouldnt drop right in a EG/EK...

pull the dizzy/intake manni/exhaust manni of a d16, use the d16 harness and tranny... and WAAA LAA!

why NOT?!? is my question (just phisically why not... im not talking about if u think its a good idea)

PS. I am not doing this as i am building my ej6 with a gsr, again just a curious question...
Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d17 into EG or EK

also I know it has be done where they use the entire d16 head on a d17 block in eg/ek, but why swap the head they look basically identical
Old 12-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/d17-into-eg-1215018/
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats all I could find on this! haha...not a lot of info on this kind of setup...
Old 12-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

waste of time
Old 12-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks I read thru this one already, they are still thinking inside the box about using the coil packs.. i say throw a dizzy on it...
Old 12-24-2011, 01:11 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why don't you try it and come back and tell US why not?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ssmtyper
Ok, i am going to bring up a topic that from what i have found hasnt been talked about in a while...

First off this is just a curious inquirey...

why NOT?!? is my question (just phisically why not... im not talking about if u think its a good idea)

PS. I am not doing this as i am building my ej6 with a gsr, again just a curious question...
Originally Posted by Wrona
waste of time
Old 12-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Why don't you try it and come back and tell US why not?
well i agree its not a great idea, but it would have its place (say somebody just needs the car to run and could care less whats under the hood)

what i am hopeing is someone has tried this and can tell me why it failed or How it worked...

Who knows maybe ill run across a cheap Bucket eg and ill know i can throw this 1.7 in there for a little errand runner or some ****... (if it turns out its no big deal)
Old 12-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So do you know if the dizzy/IM/exhuast manifold, transmission will even fit?
Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm pretty sure the bell housing bolt pattern is the same, so reusing the original transmission shouldn't be an issue. I do know for a fact that those engines used the same clutch as a '92 - '00 Civic other than the pilot bearing is different IIRC. The biggest issues would be the ignition system (I know the head looks like it has provisions for bolting up a distributor, but I don't know if the cam has the groove in the end to drive the distributor) and the mounts. When it's all said and done though, those D17As never were much of an engine, there were notorious for blowing headgaskets. I'd say a better idea would be to use the crank in a Z6 or Y8 and build a stroker engine.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d17 are oil burning junk use it for a planter or boat anchor.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by canadaek
hence why i said waste of time my buddy just swapped his D17 from his EM2 for a K20A
Old 12-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by canadaek
it wouldn't be much of a boat anchor either........
Old 12-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have to run the d16 head for the dizzy idea to work the d17 was not set up for a distributor and does not have the groves on the cam. also the intake manifold will have all the other plug and play sensors on it . its the easiest way to do it.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't waste your time and money buddy
Old 12-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It would be a waste of time. Not saying you can`t do it, just saying cause, (correct me if I`m wrong), the D17 has almost the same specs of a D16. The D17 is a 1.7, and the D16 is 1.6...that`s pretty much it..
Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

......... I had a feeling this would turn into a "its a bad idea" thread... Just like ALL the other threads out there on this topic...

94EG8 - THANK YOU!! thats the first realistic why not.. as i too see where the d17 head looks like it would accomodate the dizzy, i will pop the valve cover to confirm that there is no slot on the cam (which makes sense that there woulndt be)...
Old 12-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this "can be done" Hell i could put a jet engine in a eg/ek (or any car for that matter) with enough skill/time/money...... it just seems there is very little holding the swap back except the "crowd" says its a bad idea
Old 12-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the swap is worthless those motors are crap they are like one of the worst D series if you want to do it than do the damn swap no one is going to hold your hand
Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i agree its not a great idea, but it would have its place (say somebody just needs the car to run and could care less whats under the hood)

what i am hopeing is someone has tried this and can tell me why it failed or How it worked...

Who knows maybe ill run across a cheap Bucket eg and ill know i can throw this 1.7 in there for a little errand runner or some ****... (if it turns out its no big deal)
Originally Posted by Wrona
the swap is worthless those motors are crap they are like one of the worst D series if you want to do it than do the damn swap no one is going to hold your hand
dude are you even reading or are you just posting at random??? I never said i was even going to do the swap for sure its just a theoretical question... and the swap is definatly not "worthless" if a person had to have a car but was unable to find a d16 cheap enough but could find a 1.7 cheap/free and the swap is generally an easy one then they could get the car back on the road...

imagine if everyone was as closed minded as you, there would probably never been LS/GSR/k20/h22/h2b powered civics/and or tegs etc etc....

and i definatly never asked for anyone to hold my ****ing hand, so im not sure where u come off getting shitty with me...

If you dont have a constructive comment that pertains to my OP please dont post at all...
Old 12-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say go for it!

Don't listen to anyone, get you a bucket to drop that thing in. From what I remember the last time I dug around in a D17 the camshaft was notched like older camshafts.

Hell, grab a dizzy, pop that damn cam seal out and look in there. Is it notched? Alright, slide the dizzy on. Does it fit? Will it bolt up? Shut the hell up and drop it in something.

Pretty simple solution, really.

I want to see someone do this. Hell, if someone would give me a D17 I'd drop it in my own car just to see if it would actually work. I'm not kidding!
Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Like I said, just do it and tell us how it turned out. This whole thread is useless. Can it be done? Yes. End thread.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes someone has to be the pioneer, be that man
Old 12-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude are you even reading or are you just posting at random??? I never said i was even going to do the swap for sure its just a theoretical question... and the swap is definatly not "worthless" if a person had to have a car but was unable to find a d16 cheap enough but could find a 1.7 cheap/free and the swap is generally an easy one then they could get the car back on the road...

imagine if everyone was as closed minded as you, there would probably never been LS/GSR/k20/h22/h2b powered civics/and or tegs etc etc....

and i definatly never asked for anyone to hold my ****ing hand, so im not sure where u come off getting shitty with me...

If you dont have a constructive comment that pertains to my OP please dont post at all...

it is a public forum that you have decided to post in sorry but i can post my opinion... you keep asking is it possible, its a d series its possible is it useful? no go swap it in and tell us how u feel about it

there is no need for this thread its useless because if you don't do the swap whats the point there's people out there that have done this swap

IF you would search than you would know that the wiring is diffrent and thats about it other than no distrbutor...

seriously its one of these theoretical threads is B series better than a D series type threads because nothing is actually getting done

Do the swap Tell us how it goes
if the cam doesnt have a notch in it swap a diffrent head onto it
D17 also has possibilities of using HONDATA K-PRO for tuning
You'll make more money selling the D17 than the headache is worth

Quick Reply: d17 into EG or EK