Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16y7 questionz?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y7 questionz?

im about to buy a turbo kit from a personal seller,but he tells me i should consider getting it professionally installed......so i went to homemadeturbo.com and asked but all there is there is a bunch of f***in idiots that talk $#!t to everyone....anyways....should i get it put on by a shop, or should i attempt it myself? i know it goes from the throttle body to the intercooler to the turbo to the manifold...etc.......is there anyone that can give me some good advice on how to do this or give me any heads up before i doit myself? also i tried calling a place the other day and they said it would be a bout $700 labor to get it installed......is this reasonable? or am i right> THATS WAY TOO MUCH!!

ALSO....IS THERE ANY OTHER GOOD PARTS THAT ARENT TOO INCREDIBLEY EXPENSIVE THAT I COULD INSTALL ON MY CAR FOR SOME GOOD HP GAINS?.....I WAS THINKING....THE SKUNK2 INTAKE MANIFOLD AND BIGGER THROTTLE BODY.....THEN MAYBE LIGHT WEIGHT CAM GEARS AND FORGED PISTONS AND A GOOD CAMSHAFT? AM I EVEN ON THE RIGHT TRAK?

Modified by d16spooler at 12:24 PM 1/24/2007

Modified by d16spooler at 1:10 PM 1/24/2007
Old 01-24-2007, 11:17 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Judging by what you've said in this post, I would have someone else do it.

Putting a turbo kit is not, by any means, rocket science. But you do have to have everything hooked up properly so it works correctly, fits correctly, and continues to run correctly.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: d16y7 questionz? (d16spooler)

ok but is that right though? you have piping going from the throttle body to one side of the intercooler, then out the other side into the turbo...... considering bov, wastegate , etc. then run the oil lines and hook up the boost based fuel management system?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 AM
HT White Ops

In the most basic principals, yes, that is correct.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM

ok i see.......well the kit i am buying....the guy says that it comes with a boost based fuel management system.......he said it is the easiest part of the installation......and he gave me a link....and all it was.....some splicing of wires and stuff like that. But anyways....also is it better to put synthetic oil in the turbo and cap it off and change it every 10k miles (what the guy told me to do) or would it be better to just run oil lines to the turbo?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16y7 questionz? (Eran)

try turbod16.com I was looking at some peoples set ups on there and you can get a pretty good idea of what you need to do. From custom manifolds, to piping and even tapping your oil pan
Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16spooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i see.......well the kit i am buying....the guy says that it comes with a boost based fuel management system.......he said it is the easiest part of the installation......and he gave me a link....and all it was.....some splicing of wires and stuff like that. But anyways....also is it better to put synthetic oil in the turbo and cap it off and change it every 10k miles (what the guy told me to do) or would it be better to just run oil lines to the turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow. Just wow. Not trying to be too harsh here, but you need to pay someone else to do this. You always run oil lines to your turbo, it'll burn out if it doesn't have a fresh supply of oil. The guy who told you this is a ******* retard. I would never leave the same oil in a burning hot snail for 10K ....

Seriously, pay a reputable shop to install it, and perform the maintenance they suggest.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:39 AM

ok that's what i thought......i because all the work tha turbo'z gonna be doin doesnt seem like it would do too well with some oil capped off in it for that long of a time.....but anyways....i went to turbod16.com like that guys above^^ said......and yeah....theres this one guy with allot of good advice for noobiez......but i mean.......i just wanna buy this thing and install it and run it at a low psi. to break it in and get it workin' good....then boost up the psi. when i start buying aftermarket internals....like pistons,rods, port n polish stuff.....etc....and also....before i got ahold of this great deal on this turbo kit im about to buy......i was really looking hard for a camshaft for my car.....i know i cant get ahold of one for prolly no less than $250-$300....but i never can find a camshaft for a d16y7 (my motor)....all i can ever find is ones for the d16z6 and the d16y8........so i mean....is there just simply not a camshaft for my car or what?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
HT White Ops

Your best bet for a camshaft for a y7 is finding a spare stock cam (it'll cost you about $20), and have it reground by Delta Camshaft (http://www.deltacam.com/camshaftgrinding.php). Ask around on TurboD16 about Delta cams.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

umm if not get installed by a shop have a guy who actually know's what he is doing to help u (no offense). it takes alot of time/ research to do know how everything works and what u need/how to install,ive been researching for like 8months and i still dont know how everything is put together yet(atleast tuning wise).

p.s. i dont know if 700is bad or not. they wanted 1200 at my local tuner and i was like yeah i dont know lol.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

Read this and learn my friend, I hope it is of some help to you:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1263795

You decide whether you want to tackle it after reading that. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:02 PM

lol i read that how to........it was good and very detailed......but it seems like an *** load of work....lol i dono if i wanna doit my self......laugh or not.......i thought it was just a bunch of bolt together process....i didnt know that ALL KINDS OF OTHER STUFF LIKE.....INJECTORS,SPARK PLUGS, FUEL PUMP, ETC. WAS NEEDED!!!! anyways........im now thinking that it might be a better idea not to buy this turbo kit from the guy i was planning on buying it from.......also....what will that delta thing do to my cam? what could they do that will make it increase hp. and make it a better cam since i cant find one anywhere else anywhere....also i found a d16y8 head for $80....is that a good deal/price? or what.........what would that do for my car?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:04 PM
HT White Ops

Delta reprofiles a cam to give you different lift and duration, thus increasing fuel and air mixtures at different RPM's. It's basically changing how your motor opens and closes valves.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First of all, periods and comas are your best friend.

Second, you already said <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16spooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol i read that how to........it was good and very detailed......but it seems like an *** load of work....lol i dono if i wanna doit my self......laugh or not.......i thought it was just a bunch of bolt together process....i didnt know that ALL KINDS OF OTHER STUFF LIKE.....INJECTORS,SPARK PLUGS, FUEL PUMP, ETC. WAS NEEDED!!!! anyways...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are questioning yourself, then don't do it. If you're going to be working on your car, do your homework, and get some confidence. If not, look foward to taking it to a professional to do what you are not willing to do. I'm sorry but that's just how the cookie crumbles.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM

yah $80 is a good price for the y8 head. Just make sure that the head is god. (no bent valves,no missing lifter Etc.) And make sure it didnt come from a blown motor. I paid 120 for my head and i spent more money getting it fixed then just getting a whole new motor.learn from my mistakes and make sure the head is ok before you buy it..But yes $80 is a good price