Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16 dead engine, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16 dead engine, need advice.

So, my cylinder #2 decided to go over the weekend leaving me with a mini crisis on my hands. I need the car up and running asap but I also need to consider the future as well.

Known problems with the car that will require an immediate/upcoming fixes:
  • Needs new engine.
  • Needs a new tranny/better condition tranny. Bearing is on its way out
  • Needs new gas tank to pass emissions
  • Needs a new midpipe/cat for emissions
  • Needs a new fuel line as old one is rusting through

Knowing these problems, is it worth the fix? Or should I get another vehicle? I've always loved EK coupes or should I just cut my losses and buy another vehicle? I wouldn't mind owning a DC2 or a BB6 either.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 dead engine, need advice.

Do you love the car? Can you afford another car/car payment plus insurance? Your list of things needed can be had for cheap. D16 motors can be had for cheap and if your mechanically handy they are easy to swap out.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm mechanically retarded, so no I would be bringing the car to a shop to do the swap. I was quoted $1500 for the swap with no tranny. I can afford it but I wouldn't want to spend too much to fix it either. At the end of the repairs, I would probably be spending close to $2k+, and I don't know if other problems would surface.

I love the car but I don't want to be spending too much money on it either. What should I do? Take a chance and swap the engine and just face any other problem that comes up?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

If you are doing the work yourself, might be worth it. If you are paying someone, NO.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by dc5love
I'm mechanically retarded, so no I would be bringing the car to a shop to do the swap. I was quoted $1500 for the swap with no tranny. I can afford it but I wouldn't want to spend too much to fix it either. At the end of the repairs, I would probably be spending close to $2k+, and I don't know if other problems would surface.
Buy another used civic.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm with doctorake on that one!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I love the car but I don't want to be spending too much money on it either. What should I do? Take a chance and swap the engine and just face any other problem that comes up?
Sometimes I don't agree with just going out and getting another car. For the money you spend (or don't spend) do you want to risk picking up another one with different or worse issues? Is there some aversion to fixing this one back up to solid mechanical condition? Once you do these things run forever and is cheaper than a new or newer used car. I'll keep fixing this one I have until I can afford something I want. Until then, enjoy no car payments.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Sometimes I don't agree with just going out and getting another car. For the money you spend (or don't spend) do you want to risk picking up another one with different or worse issues? Is there some aversion to fixing this one back up to solid mechanical condition? Once you do these things run forever and is cheaper than a new or newer used car. I'll keep fixing this one I have until I can afford something I want. Until then, enjoy no car payments.
That's why I'm asking for advice. Should I forgo the fixes and buy another car (presumably in better condition, although my budget wouldn't be any more than say $3-4k and risk any other problems the new car might have) or should I fix these problems and risk any other problems that this car might experience?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is that all the deficiencies you know off? The last three things on your list are kinda minor. If you are swapping engines you might as well get the transmission while you're at it. You should take it and get a comprehensive inspection so you can see what you have to tackle before you go buy another ride.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Is that all the deficiencies you know off? The last three things on your list are kinda minor. If you are swapping engines you might as well get the transmission while you're at it. You should take it and get a comprehensive inspection so you can see what you have to tackle before you go buy another ride.
My mechanic said that's all I need. Everything else is looking good on the car.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 AM

My mechanic said that's all I need. Everything else is looking good on the car.
Do you trust your mechanic? Can you find a decent ar in the area in your price range and have him inspect it?

Problem is there is really no right or wrong answer.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is the motor really trashed or does it need a head gasket? Did it spin a bearing? Realisticly one cant conjecture on getting a different vehicle unless all facts are presented.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cylinder #2 is showing low compression. I don't know what the exact cause is but I was told I should probably get a new engine.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Do you trust your mechanic? Can you find a decent ar in the area in your price range and have him inspect it?

Problem is there is really no right or wrong answer.
I'm just trying to get feedback as to what I should do. I trust my mechanic completely 100%. He's probably the go to private honda mechanic in Toronto.

Nothing but praise for him:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=igara...hrome&ie=UTF-8

As for another shop, I don't know any one else because I've always only gone to him.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First of you seem too not be very mechanically inclined, no offense. Just because a cylinder isn't reading good compression doesn't mean you're completely screwed. You need to do some basic maintenance first before you go and decide you need a whole other motor.

Really not that hard to figure a lot of it out, go get a hanes manual take some time out of the day and figure out what's going on. Rule out the problems, make a list, go to the part store.

To shorten my answer, if your gonna spend 2k+ buy another car and make that one a project car. There is no telling all the other problem your gonna run into even after that 2K into a swap. Craigslist is your friend, just bring someone that knows cars to check it out before you buy it. I found a 06 Civic Si on craigslist for 1500, so you can def find good deals.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Call your mechanic and ask him for the compression test numbers and then post them here. A loose spark plug wire causing a miss would assimilate poor compression. What I am saying is get a second opinion as you never know if your mechanic (unless he is a close friend or family) is trying to better his situation instead of yours.