Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d15z1 to d15b JDM VTEC, which exhaust needed???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d15z1 to d15b JDM VTEC, which exhaust needed???

If I'm swapping a d15b into my '92 VX what stock or aftermarket exhaust parts should I look for. Will I need a cat. conv. off an EX/Si/or something?

I plan on using either a factory Si hatch exhaust or an aftermarket equivalent. Will I need a cat. conv., and which one?

NOTE: tried searching, but using engine codes (d15z1 and all) and models (VX, Si) yielded huge lists of possible threads.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d15z1 to d15b JDM VTEC, which exhaust needed??? (Nooch)

a
Old 08-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your car, being a vx, will have the cat converter physically on the header. (duh)

by merely bolting on the ex/si/dx/lx stock header onto your d15b swap, you have essentially elimintated the cat. (duh again)

to make the car smog legal, you're going to have to bring the car in to a competent muffler shop and have them weld on a new cat, along with the new exhaust of your preference.

the current exhaust which im using in my cx... is a trust/greddy header, greddy evo, and a 2.5" crimp bent exhaust... without the cat. bolts straight on, and isn't that loud
Old 08-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

goto muffler shop. get some nice 2.5 piping. no cat/resonator
Old 08-27-2004, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your car, being a vx, will have the cat converter physically on the header. (duh)

by merely bolting on the ex/si/dx/lx stock header onto your d15b swap, you have essentially elimintated the cat. (duh again)

to make the car smog legal, you're going to have to bring the car in to a competent muffler shop and have them weld on a new cat, along with the new exhaust of your preference.

the current exhaust which im using in my cx... is a trust/greddy header, greddy evo, and a 2.5" crimp bent exhaust... without the cat. bolts straight on, and isn't that loud
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok that answered exactly zero of my questions. Forget the fact that I've currently got a d15z1 in there, what's relevant is that I'm gonna have a d15b. I know the d15z1 uses a header/cat combo. The d15b does not. What USDM exhaust system will fit the d15b is the question?

I know I could go to a muffler shop and have 'em weld something on there, the only problem is getting to the muffler shop with only an exhaust manifold bolted to the engine, I'd imagine it would be incredibly loud, if even driveable. Also, just to comment, I've heard my fair share of no cat/resonator Hondas, and they all sound raspy and ricey, no thanks.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I'm swapping a d15b into my '92 VX what stock or aftermarket exhaust parts should I look for. Will I need a cat. conv. off an EX/Si/or something?

I plan on using either a factory Si hatch exhaust or an aftermarket equivalent. Will I need a cat. conv., and which one?

NOTE: tried searching, but using engine codes (d15z1 and all) and models (VX, Si) yielded huge lists of possible threads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you could use your entire stock setup, exhaust mani and all. it will bolt on. if you're looking to up grade just your catback, i'm pretty sure any catback made for a dx hatch will bolt up. you can run a ex/si header (oem or aftermarket) and run an oem si/ex cat, along with a si hatch exhaust (oem or aftermarket)
Old 08-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d15z1 to d15b JDM VTEC, which exhaust needed??? (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you could use your entire stock setup, exhaust mani and all. it will bolt on. if you're looking to up grade just your catback, i'm pretty sure any catback made for a dx hatch will bolt up. you can run a ex/si header (oem or aftermarket) and run an oem si/ex cat, along with a si hatch exhaust (oem or aftermarket)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, that's what I thought I just wanted to hear it before I went through the trouble of buying a cat and exhaust. The engine is coming with the exhaust mani, so I was just looking for the cat back.