Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15b7 has exhaust leak between header and exhaust pipe A - okay to weld?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15b7 has exhaust leak between header and exhaust pipe A - okay to weld?

i have a 92 civic hatch with a d15b7 in it and ive got a ractive 4-2-1 header but i was wondering would anyone know if it would hurt anything if i were to weld the downpipe to the manifold of it because its got a horrible leak right where it bolts together and ive replaced the gasket 3 times now and it makes no difference with a new gasket? thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust weld?

Originally Posted by lilboxx
i have a 92 civic hatch with a d15b7 in it and ive got a ractive 4-2-1 header but i was wondering would anyone know if it would hurt anything if i were to weld the downpipe to the manifold of it because its got a horrible leak right where it bolts together and ive replaced the gasket 3 times now and it makes no difference with a new gasket? thanks
It won't hurt anything, it'll just be a PITA if/when you need to remove it.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't weld it, it will be a giant pain and you'll regret it if you have to drop the exhaust or pull the motor or something. If you do, put a flex pipe in. The exhaust needs to be able to bend or it could crack.

If it's still leaking, you have to be doing something wrong. The curve on the donut gasket faces out. Thats the only thing I can think of that could be wrong.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
Don't weld it, it will be a giant pain and you'll regret it if you have to drop the exhaust or pull the motor or something. If you do, put a flex pipe in. The exhaust needs to be able to bend or it could crack.

If it's still leaking, you have to be doing something wrong. The curve on the donut gasket faces out. Thats the only thing I can think of that could be wrong.

well its not leaking at the donut gasket for the cat. its leaking where the 2 pieces of the header bolt together all id be doing is making the header a one piece instead of a 2 piece
Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used RTV red when I had that problem, but you can weld that point together. It'll be a little harder to get out, but totally doable.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I used RTV red when I had that problem, but you can weld that point together. It'll be a little harder to get out, but totally doable.
what kind of rtv did you use?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15b7 has exhaust leak between header and exhaust pipe A - okay to weld?

Where the header meets the downpipe there is a gasket i'm sure that is what is leaking i think if you weld or rtv it you will regret it..
Old 02-04-2012, 06:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I used RTV red
Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by lilboxx
what kind of rtv did you use?
uh, RTV red. The high temp kind. Black is for oil/fuel fittings, red is for high temp, and super black is for high temp oil/fuel fittings.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15b7 has exhaust leak between header and exhaust pipe A - okay to weld?

Don't use RTV. That's hack ****. Figure out why it leaking(bimp in flange, warped, cracked) and fix that. If you do use RTV make sure it not O2 compatible and use 4 times more than you need to so it oozes out all over the place and looks like poo(disclaimer: don't actually do that) make sure your gasket(if its two o-ring style) is slightly thicker then the opening of the two flanges so that it will crush a lil bit when you torque down the bolts.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Personally I wouldn't weld it, I'd definitely try red RTV first.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MySolSi
Where the header meets the downpipe there is a gasket i'm sure that is what is leaking i think if you weld or rtv it you will regret it..
yes there is a gasket there ive replaced it 3 times and no matter what it keeps leaking ive even doubled up the gaskets and torqued it down and still leaks its got the flat gasket with 2 holes in it thats there and not the o ring style ones
Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by johnnyboy110
Don't use RTV. That's hack ****. Figure out why it leaking(bimp in flange, warped, cracked) and fix that. If you do use RTV make sure it not O2 compatible and use 4 times more than you need to so it oozes out all over the place and looks like poo(disclaimer: don't actually do that) make sure your gasket(if its two o-ring style) is slightly thicker then the opening of the two flanges so that it will crush a lil bit when you torque down the bolts.
You do realize that's one of the things Red RTV was made for, right? It isn't "hack ****." Take the header off the car, then just a thin bead around the edge, and a thin bead around the bolt holes. Bolt it together, let it fully dry (at least 24 hours), then bolt it back up.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the flange warped?

My exhaust shop used some sort of sealant on mine orange color between the upper and lower header you can see a little in the flange. Try the RTV first, worst case you peel it off later, welding you can not do anything after.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with you on the hack **** part and i think ill try the rtv first and to the guy below this i am very skilled in metal work and you can do stuff after you weld just gotta know how welds