Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15B2 mini me swap into EG coupe, searched....can anyone help clear up some things?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B2 mini me swap into EG coupe, searched....can anyone help clear up some things?

I am currently doing a swap into a 1994 Honda Civic EX coupe which I purchashed with a bad block. I decided since I was swapping my 90 crx dx anyway I'd rebuild the z6 head and use the d15b2 block and do a mini me to get the coupe running. So far so good other than a couple of odd things.

First of all which driver side mount am I supposed to use? I have both eg style d series mounts available. I have the 2 stud style with the black mount and the 2 stud one bolt style for the aluminum mount. I can't use the CRX mount because the mount is too skinny to fit the mount location on the driver frame rail. But both of the EG style mounts are tilted/cocked way to the front of the car when installed using they're stock style mount bracket on the block. I was told by a frined that there is nothing I can do about it and that the mount sits way crooked and just to put the driver mount in first when doing the swap. Does anyone know of a fix or mount /brakcet combo to fix this? It seems the bracket holes between EF and EG d series blocks are drilled differently?

Second question is what cam gear/t-belt combo to use. I've heard you keep the belt with the head so I'm using a z6 head on a b2 bottom end but I have the infamous "1/2 tooth off" on the crank happening to me. I've heard that a y7 timing gear will fix this so if I use the gear do I still use the z6 belt or a y7 belt?

And last is the the clearance issue for the ex header/exhaust manifold. It was hitting on the oil pan preventing it to bolt on all the way so I dented the oil pan in slightly where the contact was occuring (back side of the oil pan closest to the collector) to make clearance. Anyone had any experience with this?

One more thing..,..Which timing covers? I can't seems to find the right combo to fit perfectly. The z6 cover on the bottom only lines up with three cover bolts and the tens bolt is slightly covered but has to be used since I using the eg mount bracket and no d series top cover seem to fit.

Also If I don't correct the timing issue I was told that it is better to have the cam gear 1/2 tooth advanced instead of 1/2 tooth retard. If I run the 1/2 tooth advance then where is the best plae to set my dist timing to make the engine run right.

Thanks for any help/advise. This is my first mini me and I know it will run but the little things that I can't seem to find an answer to while searching are driving me nuts. It makes me realize how really different the 88-91 and 92-00 d sereis blocks are.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B2 mini me swap into EG coupe, searched....can anyone help clear up some things? (SirRevvs)

ttt
Old 07-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B2 mini me swap into EG coupe, searched....can anyone help clear up some things? (SirRevvs)

Day shift bump
Old 07-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess if its not a thread about how fast a b16 would be in a hatch back I can't get any help...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Somebody? I got a cookie for a legitimate answer.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: D15B2 mini me swap into EG coupe, searched....can anyone help clear up some thing

my friend is doing this same set up but on a eg hatch. but old thread for info
Old 07-19-2020, 02:59 PM
Trial User

Default Re: D15B2 mini me swap into EG coupe, searched....can anyone help clear up some thing

Been a few years. Did you ever figure it out with the driver mount in the b2? That’s what I’m running into.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:15 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by KhaotikLOL
Been a few years. Did you ever figure it out with the driver mount in the b2? That’s what I’m running into.
Thirteen year old thread. PM user to see if they are still active and create your own thread with all your car details. You can then reference this thread in your thread for additional information.