Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d15b vtec. lightened flywheel with stock clutch or after market clutch with stock flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d15b vtec. lightened flywheel with stock clutch or after market clutch with stock flywheel

i been searching for topics about lightened flywheel with stock clutch or aftermarket clutch with stock flywheel to see which one would be better. what choice would be better for the si/ex tranny with the d15b vtec. i dont got much cash so its either the ligthened flywheel (how light?) or the clutch(what stage).

which one u guys recommend?

mods in car right now are just i/h/2 1/4 piping with carsound cat with exhaust.

thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d15b vtec. lightened flywheel with stock clutch or after market clutch with stock flywheel (Igni

if youre boosting down the road stick with the OE flywheel
Old 09-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d15b vtec. lightened flywheel with stock clutch or after market clutch with stock flywheel (Igni

just a daily driven car non boosted.

which one combo u guys prefer. i wish i can do both but not much cash.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on a little single cam with not much torque id go with the flywheel for some better acceleration
Old 09-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on a little single cam with not much torque id go with the flywheel for some better acceleration</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds good to me

anymore opinions?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 09-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree; get the flywheel & a stock replacement clutch. Don't go lighter than 12-13lbs though. I would think that any lighter would make it more difficult to drive daily than it's worth.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some1 has to try one of the choice i mention beside both
Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have heard this argument go back and forth time and time again. Does anyone have any honest to god proof that for instance a fidanza 7lb flywheel would be hard to daily drive (and by hard, no I don't mean different). And has anyone ever tried that same flywheel under boost? I have heard both good and bad from a daily driving stand point.

Let's get some truth on this topic.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go with the lightened flywheel and aftermarket clutch. Prolly around an 8lb flywheel and ACT hd/ss clutch
Old 09-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This was origionally posted by ActiveAero a LOOOONG time ago:

I've had my 7.5lb Fidanza flywheel for more than 15,000mi now and all I have is praise for it. I put over 30,000mi a year on my ITR so lets just say I have plenty of street driving. It gives me no problems what so ever. It is maybe a tad bit trickier to drive than stock (meaning you have to rev it a little more on steep inclines) but besides that if it would have come with the car stock I doubt anyone would have noticed/complained.
Pros- More responsive, easier to heel and toe/rev match, noticeably more pickup especially in 1st and 2nd gear where most of the "weight loss" effect occurs, also good for such statements as "watch me rev yo" .

Cons- about .000001% harder to drive on the street.

Some things to watch out for that stupid people will tell you.

1. "My flywheel makes me drop out of VTEC now because the revs drop too quick". Apparently these people bought the magic gear ratio altering flywheels or are the slowest shifters on the planet.

2. "Because of my flywheel I lost torque". No you didn't. You lost interia when trying to engage the clutch and having to rev it a little more off a stop gives the "I lost torque yo" feeling. Once the clutch is engaged its better in every way. Go ahead and race a similar car in terms of mods that doesn't have a light weight flywheel from a super low speed roll (lets say 5mph) and then you tell me about this supposedly lost torque.

3. "Aluminum will warp easy". Then where are all of these warped aluminum flywheels at? Do people run and hide them? Yes under extreme heat they will but if you are creating that much heat you have other issues to worry about.

Very informative post IMO and very reassuring in my decision to pick up a 7lb flywheel.

Does anyone have any experience with how a lightened flywheel performs under boost?

Old 09-28-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i just installed a fidanza flywheel and act stage 3 clutch in my d15b and it pulls pretty good I also have I/H/E and Si tranny
Old 09-28-2004, 02:32 PM

i would go flywheel.. later when u get more cash, try to get stage 1-2 clutch or whatevers in your head.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dunno why you would go with a stage 3 clutch for a N/A D series..... not quite makin enough power there to warrent it.

I'm personally gonna go stock clutch with the lightened flywheel. I just wonder how they perform under boost for a daily driver.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fwiw, i have a CM stage 1 and a 7.5lb fidanza. works quite well with my b16 for a daily driver. it drives just like stock, except it revs noticeable faster
Old 09-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

see, that's why I said I wouldn't want a really light FW for DD. For stop and go traffic having to rev higher doesn't sound like fun to me. I'd rather go w/ 12lbs and be able to drive normally, but still rev faster. Maybe that's just me.....
Old 09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJ_SaNdOz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">see, that's why I said I wouldn't want a really light FW for DD. For stop and go traffic having to rev higher doesn't sound like fun to me. I'd rather go w/ 12lbs and be able to drive normally, but still rev faster. Maybe that's just me.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not harder to drive at all. i drive in stop and go all the time. the engine just builds revs faster, which is a good thing. otherwise, its just like driving a completely stock car.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its not harder to drive at all. i drive in stop and go all the time. the engine just builds revs faster, which is a good thing. otherwise, its just like driving a completely stock car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, other than faster revving you notice virtually no difference from stock? no need to rev higher for an initial take off from a dead stop?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

thanks for the tips guys. everything sound reasonable. as for right now, im going with the light flywheel, its gonna be 11lbs. when i have more cash im going with the cm stage 1.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spyderracing32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This was origionally posted by ActiveAero a LOOOONG time ago:

I've had my 7.5lb Fidanza flywheel for more than 15,000mi now and all I have is praise for it. I put over 30,000mi a year on my ITR so lets just say I have plenty of street driving. It gives me no problems what so ever. It is maybe a tad bit trickier to drive than stock (meaning you have to rev it a little more on steep inclines) but besides that if it would have come with the car stock I doubt anyone would have noticed/complained.
Pros- More responsive, easier to heel and toe/rev match, noticeably more pickup especially in 1st and 2nd gear where most of the "weight loss" effect occurs, also good for such statements as "watch me rev yo" .

Cons- about .000001% harder to drive on the street.

Some things to watch out for that stupid people will tell you.

1. "My flywheel makes me drop out of VTEC now because the revs drop too quick". Apparently these people bought the magic gear ratio altering flywheels or are the slowest shifters on the planet.

2. "Because of my flywheel I lost torque". No you didn't. You lost interia when trying to engage the clutch and having to rev it a little more off a stop gives the "I lost torque yo" feeling. Once the clutch is engaged its better in every way. Go ahead and race a similar car in terms of mods that doesn't have a light weight flywheel from a super low speed roll (lets say 5mph) and then you tell me about this supposedly lost torque.

3. "Aluminum will warp easy". Then where are all of these warped aluminum flywheels at? Do people run and hide them? Yes under extreme heat they will but if you are creating that much heat you have other issues to worry about.

Very informative post IMO and very reassuring in my decision to pick up a 7lb flywheel.

Does anyone have any experience with how a lightened flywheel performs under boost?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if u still have the post by ActiveAero, plz link it to us. thanks