Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15 Distributor help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:43 PM
let

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15 Distributor help

My distributor started making some nasty sounds today. I pulled the cap and there's a loose plastic shroud (not sure if it's supposed to be secured, or if it's put in it's place by the cap). There's also red powder that's all over everything. Hmmm.. I don't think I've replaced the cap in the 50k miles I've had it. Any ideas? Do you think the rotor's dead?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: D15 Distributor help (let)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by let &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My distributor started making some nasty sounds today. I pulled the cap and there's a loose plastic shroud (not sure if it's supposed to be secured, or if it's put in it's place by the cap). There's also red powder that's all over everything. Hmmm.. I don't think I've replaced the cap in the 50k miles I've had it. Any ideas? Do you think the rotor's dead?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your dizzy bearing is going. Been there done that and just go get a rebuild or new dizzy. The red powder is from the rotor and electrical connections. The red powder drys out the bearing and it seizes. Mine started to seize and squealed like a mother ******. That thing was done and my friends bearing blew up in the dizzy because he is retarded and didn't get a new dizzy. It will not go away and will only get worse. You could try rebuilding it yourself, but it's a lot of work. I would rather rebuild a starter and alternator any day over a dizzy. I rebuild parts for a automotive rebuilding company here on the west coast.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
let

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D15 Distributor help (Bond)

Damn, yeah I suppose it's off to the junk yards. Do you suppose changing out cap every couple of years or so will keep the dust situation together, thus keeping this headache away? Thanks for the post.

I bet my skateboard bearings are a better build.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: D15 Distributor help (let)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by let &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, yeah I suppose it's off to the junk yards. Do you suppose changing out cap every couple of years or so will keep the dust situation together, thus keeping this headache away? Thanks for the post.

I bet my skateboard bearings are a better build.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes changing the cap and rotor more often would help alot with keeping the dust down. Try changing it once a year and the new dizzy will last a life time.