Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D series Valve replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D series Valve replacement

I am looking to replace my valves in my del sol. I found 7 bent valves when I pulled off the head. I have tried searching on here for a write up and havent found anything. I am looking to replace all the valves and anything else that needs to be done upon removing the valves. I also need to know what tools are required and any tips on doing this. I am pretty new to engine internals but im a quick learner. So please can someone send me either a link or give me some help on how to do this. Thank you
Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Re: D series Valve replacement

well ur better off buying a full set of valve springs/retainers and valves , ull need a valve spring compresser and some other tools i suggest you take it to a workshop unless u can find a detailed diy which im sure is floating around.... are u doin other maintainence also ie; head gasket / intake manifold gasket? and you probably shold be machining the head(re-surfacing) and to prevent warpage, new headstuds/valve cover studs etc...
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM

I was planning on doing a new headgasket and intake and exhaust. The head studs look fine. The and same with the valve cover studs. I also plan to install aftermarket valves and springs. Would i need to have the block decked if I machine the head?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 PM

Well first question, are you machining the head in order to get higher compression, machining the head because it is warped, or machining the head cause you think it needs it? As for tools, you will need just a set of metric wrenches, metric sockets, and a torque wrench. However, for doing work with the valves, i highly recommend going to your local car quest and ordering a valve keeper removal tool. Its made by LISLE and is part number 36200. It will make the removing and installing of the valve keepers the easiest task of the whole project. Also, make sure you have a manual for proper torquing procedure on the headbolts as well as cam bolts.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:23 PM

I was just going to machine it so it doesnt warp. If it is not needed how would I know for sure. I have the rocker arms and cam out already. all that is left is the springs, retainers, and valves. Is the keeper the lock washer looking thing at the top of the valve stems? And thank you thi3v3z and dannyboi_86 for the help so far.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The retainer is the washer like part, the keepers are the two little things the size of aspirins that keep the retainer and valve together. They look like two half circles from the top. You push the retainer down and they will come out.

Resurfacing the head is a good idea, it is just removing a very small amount of material.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont machine the head unless you KNOW its warped. you can have a shop check that for you.

valves>valve seals>valve guides>springs>retainers(hold the springs aligned)>>holders

there is a writeup, check the stickies for a FAQ section, its in there.

sorry bought your bad luck. now its time to find out WHY it bent the valves and fix that so it doesnt happen again
Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres the FAQ link, look under it. I was too lazy to find it for ya lol, but I know its there

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faqs-frequently-asked-tech-questions-1998336/
Old 06-14-2009, 06:50 AM

All you need to check for warpage is a straight edge ruler and a bladed feeler gauge. Position the head so you can set the straight edge on it and slide the feeler gauge under any gaps. Most recommend you shouldnt have more than .005, but i personally dont go higher than .003. If you can fit a a feeler blade that large under the straight edge, your head is warped. Don't machine the head if you don't need to. If your not confident in your ability to check for head warpage yourself, just take it to a trusted machine shop and they can help you out.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:25 AM

Ok i think i got it now. Does anyone know a good place to buy the parts. I went to autozone and they dont carry the exhaust valves just the intake ones. And would i have to replace the springs or can i just do the valves. And the reason they got bent is cause the timing was off and the piston made contact with them. Stupid aem cam gear.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 AM

You shouldnt have to replace the springs, but you should measure them with a ruler while you have them off to make sure they are still good. If you are looking for stock valves, i would definitely go through the honda dealership. Gaskets and stuff you can go aftermarket places, but engine internals i would stay oem.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:09 PM

I am looking into doing a aftermarket valve set up and getting all the necessary parts like springs, retainers. Is there a good aftermarket brand that sells o.e spec valves but that give a better performance. Cause I want to see if i have the ability to build a head for power. I already have another head for my car so this is going to be for fun.