Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D.I.Y steering column swap 98 civic W cruise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D.I.Y steering column swap 98 civic W cruise

Well for all the do it yourselfers if you ever have to cross the bridge of replacing a steering column due to theft this will help.
TOOLS USED.
phillips screwdriver
socket wrench with a 10 mm and a 12mm socket

First pull down the panel under the steering column that covers the fusebox and other misc. items it contains 3 phillipshead screws.Once the screwsd are removed pull out on the left bottom to get the tab out and pull down carefully to release the remaining two without breaking them.Next look to the front of the floor board where the carpet ends at the firewall and you will see the black steering column housing and a little clip on the bottom,pull out the clip
now theres two retaining rings one at the top of the housing and one on the bottom,simply pull them down they will slide off then the housing can be removed
Next i removed the bolt that holds the shaft in the knuckle using a 10mm socket
next i removed the 2 lower nuts that hold up the columnwith the 12mm socket
Next i unplugged all the plugs from the column and the brown ignition plug that is in the fusebox
Then remove the two upper nuts and the column will drop so either hold it yourself or have someone there and be careful pulling out the splines as they can be damaged[img=http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4100/jun050068av.th.jpg] i only have one nut pictured but you get the point.now you should look like this at the end of removal.[img=http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7595/jun050107ye.th.jpg]
So just follow the steps in reverse making sure you have the steering wheel in going the right direction and you will be up and running in no time.Remember to tighten all bolts as i am not liable for anyone doing this wrong as it is a pretty straight forward process.Ihope it helps someone as it was my first write up i know the punctuation is killing you.