Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cylinder Misfiring Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Misfiring Need Help

Ok recently my car,97 civic dx,with swapped/replaced obd2 d16y7, has been having a rough idle. Then it started to rev up and then die down for a second then repeat for 3-10 times approx. Usually after using throttle. And it idles smooth after letting it idle for maybe 30 seconds, this just started happening. At first I thought my idle was fluctuating but now I think a cylinder is misfiring.

Some things to consider:

Recently replaced spark plugs with NGK iridiums that were platinum on accident and car shook horribly then replaced with correct ones, NGK copper ones i believe, i forget to what spec but it said it on the box. What is proper spec for copper plugs? I tightened them snug with socket wrench, do i need proper torque?

Also my oil sender unit is bad, when it is plugged in it flickers at me and when i have it out does nothing so ive been leaving it out. I bought a replacement today, will this cause engine to misfire?

Finally, Ive been messing with the throttle cable because i thought it was a low rpm idle issue. Where should the bolt be positioned? which way lowers and raises idle?

Do i need to reset my ecu after doing any of this? Could my car be in limp mode?

I know I asked a ton of questions im gonna go trouble shoot right now hopefully solve it starting with spark plugs then replace sender unit.

Appreciate any input really want to get my car running smooth again and dont wanna go to the mechanic.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Cylinder Misfiring Need Help

If it was constantly miss firing you would here it. I've been there trust me. It sounds like you IACV, or maybe air in the coolant. That's what I would check first.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicjunkie17
If it was constantly miss firing you would here it. I've been there trust me. It sounds like you IACV, or maybe air in the coolant. That's what I would check first.
I just checked my spark plugs cyl 4 was gapped to small and was cold, (the other 3 were hot and gapped correct) also the wire was sticking to it, the wire had come out of the housing, it was not right so i bought a set of ngk wires and i think it cleared it up. Now when i go on throttle it dies down for a second after but it idles good now. When i was at autozone i let the guy hear it and thats what he thought too. Atleast its better than it was. Do you think i should still clean my IACV? and how do I check for air in coolant?

Right now im in the process of replacing my oil pressure sender unit if you have any experience with that. It is a bitch to get at I cant seem to get it off.

Edit- just researched bleeding and removing air from coolant, my coolant is very low so im gonna do that, after that ill probably clean the IACV just for extra precaution, thanks for input

Edit- just turned on car and its still idling up and down, tomorrow ill bleed and refill coolant and clean IACV

Last edited by david420; 02-28-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have car runnin and start disconecting fuel injectors and see if u it makes diff or not when u do that, the one that doesnt thats the one with some kinda prob, spark, fuel or compression, thats if it misfire prob
Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hondatherdm
have car runnin and start disconecting fuel injectors and see if u it makes diff or not when u do that, the one that doesnt thats the one with some kinda prob, spark, fuel or compression, thats if it misfire prob
I dont think its misfiring now, im gonna do coolant and AICV and check for vaccum leaks that should fix it i hope