Notices

keep fouling plugs!! HELP searched!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep fouling plugs!! HELP searched!

hello guys i need help...my set up is

stock 98 gsr
skunk 2 IM
neukin ramhorn manifold
gt28rs turbo
3" DP
ngk v powered 9 spark plugs gapped .20

chrome tuned-330whp

oh kay now heres the problem after 2 months, my car has suddenly developed a random misfire and goes in to safe mode (sounding like a WRX). it only happens when im coasting down a hill, ex- 5th gear, 3k rpm going down a hill...and then after giving it a lil gas it starts to sputter and starts sounding like a wrx

i know when a car starts sounding like that it means its not running on all cylinders. so i let the car idle, popped my hood and started looking around...i pulled the spark plug wires one by one to see which one is not getting n e spark..after pulling cylinder 4 wire....the idle changes so i knew it wasnt that one, next i pulled out cylinder 3 wire and the idle still stays the same....so i know cylinder 3 isnt gettting n e spark..i did these steps for clyinder 2 and 1 and its the same as cylinder 4, idle changes...

so i changed cylinder 3 spark plug and everything works great!! then couple of days later i head down town (hill) and boom starts doing it again...good thing i had a extra set of spark plugs...did the same test and what do you know cylinder 3 is faulty again??!!!!! i changed it and boom everything works perfect...

im wondering if the plugs are too cold for the amount of power im making?
wondering if im running too rich?

i hope its nothing to serious..

just changed my oil today and oil didnt show n e signs of my head gasket going out..

i changed my spark plug wires from msd wires to stock and vice versa same thing happens..

get this scenario...after going downtown again (hill) to watch a movie my car starts to do this again!! but i ran out of spark plugs so i just left it as is...parked my car watched a movie.. couple hours later...i start my car and it misses at first so i give some gas and BOOM every thing is perfect!! now im at home trying to see what the hell is going on..

please help me asap!! n e advice is much appreciated!!

mahalo from hawaii-justin

Old 04-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: keep fouling plugs!! HELP searched! (boostede46)

9's are too cold for your setup. probably why they are fouling so quickly. try some bkr7e's and see what happens
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 AM

Default Re: keep fouling plugs!! HELP searched! (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">9's are too cold for your setup. probably why they are fouling so quickly. try some bkr7e's and see what happens</TD></TR></TABLE>

bkr7e's are good for 500+whp. 9's are way, way to cold. try the 7's and follow up.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohkay well just bought some bkr7e....im gonna put them in, gap them at what.... .25 ??
ill see how that works...

the reason why i put the ngk v-power 9's (7405) was because at my tuning session my bkr7e's were fouling out on the dyno, so my tuner had 4 extra ngk 9's on him, so he put those in and every thing worked perfect...that day...haha

well we'll see how these go...

i got a msd digital 6 plus with hvc coil...im gonna put that on... so what do you guys recommend me doing about my gap with the bkr7e's with and with out the msd...lmk-justin...much mahalos
Old 04-08-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Re: (boostede46)

If you were running too rich on the dyno, chances are, thats why your plugs went out. Had the same problem on my buddy's VR4. Make the switch back to the 7's at the same gap, and make sure you're not still running too rich. It could mean the death of your motor.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well so far so good no wrx sound... I gapped them around .28... The others were gapped at .20!!! Do you think I should go down that low with the bkr7e's???

Also I'm gonna hook up my msd digital six with hvc coil... What should I gap my plugs to? Because If I do gap them at .20 right now.. Then wat do I gapp the plugs at then?? My gapper can only gapp down to .20... Lmk- j
Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i run 9's 333whp... any reason i should not? and thats what my tuner likes in there so i dont argue...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats exactly what i thought! are yours the v-powered 9s?

idk why but after the bkr7e's i dont have n e misses...i dont think we'll see how it goes by tomorrow...

i too have 330whp, but i've been through two sets of those and havnt had nothing but problems...

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostede46 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats exactly what i thought! are yours the v-powered 9s?

idk why but after the bkr7e's i dont have n e misses...i dont think we'll see how it goes by tomorrow...

i too have 330whp, but i've been through two sets of those and havnt had nothing but problems...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dunno, there the reduced tip ones...
Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with this...if u r running a cold plugs in a richly tune motor it most likely to foul every so often..

I have encountered those problem several times and has been sorted out by optimal tuning...

Bkr6e-11 works fine aswell..
Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

change ur spark plug to 7's and make sure ur not running rich.
as they say breaking ur plug tip is better than blowing ur pistons

Modified by CiViC SiR at 4:10 PM 4/9/2008
Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 AM

Default Re: (CiViC SiR)

i had to run a 6 series cause i fouled the 7's every few weeks...
Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alrighty...well so far so good again... no wrx sound..haha...i bet thats what it was...

oh kay only problem is...sometimes my idle goes all the way down to 500 then i would have to give it a lil gas (throttle) to bring it back up....

whats up with that....could it be the gap?? i did close it down to .28 so im not sure if thats to small? what can this be??

another thing... im getting my msd hooked up today...what should i gap the plugs then?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be fine at .028. gap down from there if needed
Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostede46 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alrighty...well so far so good again... no wrx sound..haha...i bet thats what it was...

oh kay only problem is...sometimes my idle goes all the way down to 500 then i would have to give it a lil gas (throttle) to bring it back up....

whats up with that....could it be the gap?? i did close it down to .28 so im not sure if thats to small? what can this be??

another thing... im getting my msd hooked up today...what should i gap the plugs then?</TD></TR></TABLE>

any reason you are putting an msd in your car?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpetro1)

u want ur gap as large as u can before it starts breaking up.Gives the spark more room to burn.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i run 9's 333whp... any reason i should not? and thats what my tuner likes in there so i dont argue...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your tuner just put them in w/o checking how 7's looked after tuning it, he should be kicked in the *****. Plugs #'s work by having more porcelean between the electrode the higher the #, so that it dumps more heat into the head. Hence the term 'cold'. I think it was ~450F that the plug needs to get to in order to self-clean itself. If fuel is perfect, then the plug should be allowed to get that hot or you foul the plug with carbon and/or the lube/additives from the gasoline. So just assuming colder is better and not checking on a per-car basis is stupid. But he only deals with the car before the plugs can foul really bad, so what does he care?

I'd almost guess your injectors are messed up. Try swapping #3 with some other cylinder's injector, then see if that cyl gets fouled. I'd also install NEW *OEM* plug wires/rotor/cap. I'd doubt that the MSD will help any. Its more of a bandaid than a real solution. At a certain point, no spark will jump a fouled plug.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike@synapse motorsport)

im putting the msd ignition because...

1-i need to be able to change where my two step is... for track use, and street use (i know street racing isnt smart, but here in hawaii..thats all there is to do)

2-want to build boost off the line

3- i like the sound of ignition cut....i think chrome is fuel cut, corect me if im wrong..

so thats basically what i needed...and the msd digital 6 had all those features

so as far as HiProfile's opinion about this whole thing...
i wasnt sure if your post was towards me or blinx9900...
well im pretty sure my injectors are fine, rc 750cc's. ive done searches of any rc injectors going bad and i didnt come up with n e thing...then again i did buy them used of another member on hondamarketplace.com.

because before the DYNO tune ever happend (conservative street tune), i had the msd digital 6 hooked up with to the internal coil, and everything felt fine until i my third gear started to miss! so i assumed that was the problem... even on the dyno i was missing with the msd digital 6, so we found out that one of the wires in the cap was arching. so we too the msd out and still was missing, changed the plugs to the ngk v-power 9's, gapped them at .20 and everything ran great... so we left it as is...i bought the same plugs, and boom my problem appeared... at first i thought it was my injectors but after changing the plugs every thing ran smooth again.....then you guys no the rest...

but again im not even sure if changing spark plugs to the bkr7's gapping it down to .28 was even my problem..but so far so good...

we'll see...im waiting for ups to deliver my hvc coil, cap rotor so im yet to put the msd on...im gonna hook it up and see if it misses up top and if it does....i'll go from there...