Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CV joint popped out :cringe:

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 CV joint popped out :cringe:

So I replaced both drive axles last week as the CV boots were both torn. It was fine for a few days and then the other day I went to pull out of my road and it was like it slipped into neutral. I pushed it to the curb and I could see an inch or so gap between the joint and the tranny (short side). I swear I checked it after I popped it back in... At any rate that is obviously the problem, but I haven't had time to take it apart yet. what are the odds I trashed the splines on the transmission side? If that is the case what is the recovery path? This is a 97 4-door EX.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: CV joint popped out :cringe:

U prob did not damage anything mine did that the other day. U need to cut one of the small strap clips off the small side of the inside boot. Readjust boot then get a new pack of easy straps from autozone. And restrap it . U should b good. I didn have any other problems after that
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CV joint popped out :cringe:

Originally Posted by bnuk013
So I replaced both drive axles last week as the CV boots were both torn. It was fine for a few days and then the other day I went to pull out of my road and it was like it slipped into neutral. I pushed it to the curb and I could see an inch or so gap between the joint and the tranny (short side). I swear I checked it after I popped it back in... At any rate that is obviously the problem, but I haven't had time to take it apart yet. what are the odds I trashed the splines on the transmission side? If that is the case what is the recovery path? This is a 97 4-door EX.

Your lucky, that yours went for a few days. Hahahaha. I replaced the pass side a few months ago and I thought I had snapped it in. Put everything back together and went to return the core. I got about a mile down the road and I hear this grinding noise. I immediatly shut the car down, and pushed it into a parking lot. Had most of my tools with me and jacked the car up, after removing the tire and noticed it popped out. I popped it back in and went back home to look at it. Looked at it the next day and only slight marks were on the retainer sleeve/oil sleeve right behind the seal lip. The splines looked good on the tranny and the cv shaft. No metal debris, etc. I popped it back in after cleaning and thorough checking and this time used a rubber mallet to tap it into place, and grabbed the joint and tugged on it to make sure it was seated correctly. Assembled and have not had any issues.

So in your case if you shut the vehicle down right away chances are you did not screw anything up. I would pull the cv joint and check the splines in the tranny and the splines on the cv joint. I doubt they are trashed as the tranny splines are usually hardened steal...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Chances are the splines are fine. If it's the passenger's side axle grab a 2x4 or something similar and put the end up against the inner joint, use the shock tower as fulcrum and give the 2x4 a quick snap, axle should pop right back in, no disassembly required. I've done this before on the side of the road.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the transmission splines were ok, the first row of splines on tip of the shaft that line it up before the ring goes in were chewed off. i was able to get back, just took some trial and error. there were some metal shaving on the splines, I picked out what I could but I guess I'll be draining the transmission tomorrow.