Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

crazy timing problems with my z6 zex 59300 cam in my y8 head! *continued*

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default crazy timing problems with my z6 zex 59300 cam in my y8 head! *continued*

ok so I finally figured out what cam gear I have...it is a str cam gear which I found out are identical for both the 92-95 civics and the 96-00 civics which means I am dealing with a z6 cam gear on a z6 cam in a y8 head. Here is a post I made on d-series.org on this subject.

"Ok I have had a bunch of trouble finding where 0 degrees actually is with this cam in my y8 head. Me and Builthatch have been discussing my situation and cannot figure it out. First I ended up getting a str cam gear for the y8 which is actually the same exact thing as the z6 gear i found out because builthatch has one for the y8 and one for the z6 and he sais the keyways both match up. I checked mine and the keyway also looks like its at 12 oclock instead of 5 degrees advanced like it is on the y8. So technically 0 degrees should be at 0 on the cam gear because I have a z6 cam gear instead of a y8...correct? Well I have checked over and over again and my cam and crank are all lined up perfect at tdc...and for some reason with my cam set at the 0 degree mark on the cam gear which should be 0 on the cam because i'm using a z6 cam gear and not a y8, but for some reason the farthest I can get my dizzy advanced is 6 degrees of ignition timing! This can't be right. With my cam advanced 5 degrees on the cam gear which should be advanced 5 degrees from 0 the furthest I can get my ignition timing is 18 degrees and with the cam set at 3 advanced where I have it now the most I can get it to is 16 degrees. I would think If I was running the cam that far advanced I wouldn't be making much power at all, but my car is pulling great and has plenty of top end which I would think would go away because of it being advanced so far. When I set the cam at 0 on the gear where it should be my car loses all low to midrange power power and just has a bunch of power past 6k rpms. This is probably because my ignition timing is retarded 10 degrees at that setting though. Does anybody else have this problem with a similar setup? No one I talk to can seem to figure it out."

"I have tried advancing the cam one tooth, but it ran like **** and the tdc on the cam gear and the tdc on the crank lined up horrible wrong...evan after cranking the motor back around. I am positive that the cam gear and crank are both at tdc. When the cam gear is lined up tdc...with the bottom off center mark on the gear lining up where it should...and the side marks even with the top of the head. When the cam is TDC the crank is lined up perfectly where the white mark on the pulley should be. Who knows...maybe I am lining up the cam gear wrong, but I doubt I am. Can you maybe post a pic of a closeup of where it should be? "

"also something else that is strange is how I lose 10 degrees of ignition timing by only retarding the cam 3 degrees. Like when I have the cam gear set to 3 degrees advanced I have a max of 16 degrees ignition timing and when I have it set to 0 I have a max of 6. Doesn't make since since 1 degree on the cam should = 1 degree of ignition timing right? Not over 3! "

those are some of my replys in that post...as you can see everything sounds screwy. Someone please help me .
Old 02-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: crazy timing problems with my z6 zex 59300 cam in my y8 head! *continued* (SOHC_MShue)

bump