Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crank pulley loose, crank shaft destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank pulley loose, crank shaft destroyed

I recently had a rattling sound coming from the engine compartment on my 99 civic. It was strange because it started as soon as I started my car, and I had not noticed any sound at all the last time I had driven the car. I immediately took it into the shop, which was about 2 miles total in town, for a total of about 15 min of drive time.

Long story short my crank pulley had somehow managed to come loose and in the process destroyed the crankshaft where it connects to the pully. The mechanic said that it would probably be cheaper to replace the engine altogether, as it will cost me more for him to swap the crank & pulley than to just swap for a rebuilt engine. Just got the quote and he's saying about 750 for the engine and probably about the same for labor. Any thoughts on whether this sounds reasonable?

My main question (and I really am amazed at this) is how the hell could my crank pulley even come loose, and second how did it happen just when I started my car, and not while I was driving? It almost seems like someone got under my car while it was parked and loosened the damn thing. (highly unlikely for many reasons, one of which is the car is plainly visible from inside my work)

Has anyone had a similar experience? I just bought this car 6 mos ago and it only has about 70k miles on it. Seems like an awefully low mileage to be needing a new engine. Am I just the unluckiest man alive or what?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crank pulley loose, crank shaft destroyed (jsnock)

Did you see the damage? I had my crank pulley come off sitting in my driveway, luckily, threw it back on no problems. Otherwise, yes that seems reasonable for the engine. Junkyards charge about tthat, and it seems to be the going rate, least what i've hear on here, for the swap. Now you can def. do it for a lot cheaper though. If you are mechanical at all. Weekend project for a first timer easily. Should be able to find a local motor for 400 or less.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

750 for labor seems reasonable, If thats the root you want to go, When i spun a bearing in my ej, the local shop quoted me at 4500, to replace it with another Dseries. I ran out of that shop. Engine price seems kinda high though.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

Are you guys talking D or B. For a B, sounds about right. Although the labor is a lot more than I charge.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (b18cx)

*Update*

I believe it's a civic ex so a D16Y8 as far as I can tell, have to check. Now the shop has come back and said the motor they quoted that price at was no good and want 2300 to do it. I've got the number of a guy that's started doing engine swaps for honda tuners around here. He's done quite a few, most of which were quite a bit more complex (not a 1:1 swap) When my bro talked to him he said he could probably get it done for a grand. Seems like the best option now. Another shop quoted 1250 to do a crank kit but if I can get that guy to do the swap for a grand why bother.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jsnock)

I'd be weary of the shop that just wants to repair the crank... if your timing belt snaps or, in this case, your crankshaft gets F'ed up, I'd be weary of possible damage done to the head and pistons as well. Just fixing the crank may not be enough.

Edit: And if you're swapping the same engine, for anyone whose done a swap before, it should only take a half day tops. Not a huge ordeal.