Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crank hard to turn, plastigauge reads ok, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank hard to turn, plastigauge reads ok, is this normal?

Hey Ive got a D16dz6 block with stock crank, stock main girdle and ARP Main studs. Im using Honda main bearings. When I platigauge the bearings/journals I get about .0013" which is the clearance I want but when i clean the plastigauge off and put the bearings and girdle back on and torque it down (with the ARP spec, 60 lb ft.) the crank binds up. It spins easily once I get it started with a wrench. If I stop spinning it then it binds up again untill I turn it with a wrench to get it spinning. I took the girdle and bearing halves off turned the crank 90 degrees wiped off the journals and bearing halves layed down some more plastigauge it comes up the same, about .00125" so the journals aren't out of round. I also checked total crank runout, it was less than .001" (well below max spec). If I use the Honda torque spec (38 lb ft) the crank spins by hand, no problem. The crank starts to bind around 46 lb ft. I dont understand why the plastgauge reads an ok clearance at 38 lb ft and at 60 lb ft even though the crank will spin at 38 and not at 60. Certainly some one else has had this problem. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Is it ok if the crank binds a little when first moving on engine stand no oil pump to pressurize the oil, will it be ok when it's assembled and back in the car if the engine is running and the oil pressure is up to nominal pressure? Ive got mostly yellow bearings now if I get a set of reds will it help. Is the plastigauge lying?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crank hard to turn, plastigauge reads ok, is this normal? (krhagon)

damn man sounds like you might wanna try the Tech/Misc forum