Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cost for engine machine work? In Quad City area.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cost for engine machine work? In Quad City area.

My stock B18C1 engine developed a knock last night. I was taking off from a stop light, driving normal or like a grandma compared to what "normal" may be considered, and the engine started to sputter, banged a couple times and I saw a puff of smoke and then it banged more. Idling, it sounds like a midget hitting the block twice with a hammer, waiting a half second and hitting it twice again... I have clean oil in the engine, a good oil filter.

Anyway, what's a normal price to get an engine rebuilt? I called Steely Performance in East Moline, Illinois and they want $250 just to bore out the cylinders and clean it, or $1250 to do that and assemble the short block, just for labor. Plus, they said it would be 1 1/2 months turnaround right now. Anyone have a recommendation of where to go or what to do?

I have a second GSR block, but there is a little light scoring on the cylinders. It would probably be considered acceptable to run, and I'll install it if I have to, but I'd rather not.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cost for engine machine work? In Quad City area.

damn, cant you rebuild it yourself? did you have an oil gauge? and you shouldnt run the motor. You should be able to pickup a new set of bearings and put them in there, provided that you havent run it for very long because it wont have really damaged anything and there wont be many metal shards around. You might be able to get away with a new set of bearings and a good cleaning of the oil pan and oil goup.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have an oil gauge, but that is a good idea. I'd rather pull the engine anyway and bore it out since not sure about the mileage and more compression would be good anyway.

I've never rebuilt an engine. I understand what's involved, just not everything about measuring for new bearings. You install a mid sized bearing and use a piece of plastigauge and then select the appropriate bearing from there, right?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper64
I didn't have an oil gauge, but that is a good idea. I'd rather pull the engine anyway and bore it out since not sure about the mileage and more compression would be good anyway.

I've never rebuilt an engine. I understand what's involved, just not everything about measuring for new bearings. You install a mid sized bearing and use a piece of plastigauge and then select the appropriate bearing from there, right?
there are tutorials and manuals for everything. If your up to it you can do it.