Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cooling system problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system problem

ive got a 93 del sol s with 110,000 miles + d15b7 and a manual transmission. recently i swapped out my old thermostat for a new one, flushed all my old coolant out and flushed out my block and rad with water from a hose and then replaced the t-stat and begin adding the new 50/50 coolant and a bled it and let all the air out of the lines. the t stat opened and the lower rad hose was hot. now one week later my car starts to run very hot it reaches max and then i pull over come back out 5 minutes later to start the car and its idling very rough and i can smell coolant and i see a huge cloud of white smoke it burns off all the white smoke and i turn the car off. now i go to drive it again it reaches hot i pull over check the lower rad hose and its cold. i start driving a bit more while the temp is at max and turn my heat on, it blows nothing but cold air........what the hell is going on here? is this thermostat faulty? is it trapping the coolant in the block and then it seeps out thru the headgasket and gets burned out my tailpipe causing the white smoke? it seems like the thermostat is working intermittently because the temp will go all theway up then creep back to half then go back up to 3/4 its very weird....can anyone shed some light here im so confused as to what to do. also after the coolant got burned up the coolant reservoir was empty of course im guessing?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: cooling system problem (cdizzle)

Water pump maybe, or radiator?

The temp creeping up, then dropping may be due to the fans coming on and helping cool it down some.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:12 PM

could a bad water pump or rad cause the coolant to be burned outta the tailpipe and make it struggle to run while its doing so
?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: cooling system problem (cdizzle)

The burning of coolant out the tailpipe and struggling to run may be due to a blown head gasket. You can blow the headgasket from overheating.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:17 PM

so new headgasket basically ? why is it overheating though
Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (cdizzle)

The overheating may be caused by different things such as bad water pump, calcium or mineral clogged radiator, radiator fins bent, etc., bad radiator cap, etc.

If the headgasket is blown, this is the effect of overheating, not the cause of the overheating.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: (tech8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tech8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The overheating may be caused by different things such as bad water pump, calcium or mineral clogged radiator, radiator fins bent, etc., bad radiator cap, etc.

If the headgasket is blown, this is the effect of overheating, not the cause of the overheating.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-17-2005, 11:38 PM

ok well im guessing a fault thermostat caused this..... just great......any chances ill have full recovery with my current head? with a new gasket?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus... do you know what paragraphs and spacing was made for right?

If your over heating do the following.
1st. Bleed your coolant
2nd Check lower radiator hose to see if its hot or cold. if its cold then go to 5th
3rd get ur radiator cap pressure tested
4th see if your fan is kickin on when it is suppose to.
5th change your thermostat. DO NOT BUY CHEAPY's Buy OEM honda thermostat.
6th Flush your coolant and put fresh coolant in and bleed the system.
and worst of all you gotta replace your headgasket and possibly get your head milled.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jesus... do you know what paragraphs and spacing was made for right?

If your over heating do the following.
1st. Bleed your coolant
2nd Check lower radiator hose to see if its hot or cold. if its cold then go to 5th
3rd get ur radiator cap pressure tested
4th see if your fan is kickin on when it is suppose to.
5th change your thermostat. DO NOT BUY CHEAPY's Buy OEM honda thermostat.
6th Flush your coolant and put fresh coolant in and bleed the system.
and worst of all you gotta replace your headgasket and possibly get your head milled.</TD></TR></TABLE>
if he is already blowing coolant out the exhaust bleeding the coolant is useless he needs a headgasket. if you have coolant burning out the exhaust you have a bad headgasket BOTTOM LINE there is no way for a car to burn antifreeze out the exhaust with a good head gasket. pull the head have it checked and change your headgasket.
peace
eric
Old 10-22-2005, 08:14 PM

k well i dont know whats goin on but i did overheat slightly becuz my thermostat was NOT opening. my lower rad hose was cold no matter what. do i went and drained the coolant and replaced the thermostat and bled it now it seems to run fine......since ive changed the thermostat ive drive nabout 200 miles i got one small cloud of white smoke and my car idled a rough then it started to idle a bit rough for about 30 secs and still nothing i think my headgasket has a small leak???? what do u think