Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

What happends if you dont bleed coolant system? White smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happends if you dont bleed coolant system? White smoke?

What happends if you dont bleed the coolant system? White smoke? what kind of problems occur?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happends if you dont bleed coolant system? White smoke? (DBDS)

Honestly ive never bled a coolant system and never once had any problems, oh but I do run it and let it automatically bleed I guess then refill it after the thermostat opens
Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

white smoke means it's burning coolant, such as when the headgasket is bad.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Noting really happens but here is a good one probably u guys know it already just to bleed it fast turn ur car on after u do whatever u did with ur cooling system , then put the heater in the hot position and make it blow hot air like if is snowing outside, then rev ur car to 25 to 30 tousand rpms till thermostat opens touch both heater hoses make sure they are hot and hard and add coolant as nedded and u r pretty much done. but if u just drive it and check it later on will be ok too.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The coolant system is sealed to create pressure which in turn increases the boiling point of the water. If there is an excessive amount of air in the system, it could cause overheating. If there is air in the system, run the system with the cap off (make sure the engine is cold before removing the radiator cap) and squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses. Run for a few minutes and put the cap back on.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DBDS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What happends if you dont bleed the coolant system? White smoke? what kind of problems occur? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your temp. guage would read false reading.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:27 PM

Depending on the thermostat, it should have a relief hole built in the up position intalled, it is self bleeding. just pour in the coolant and go. but it should not cause white smoke, just over heating.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: What happends if you dont bleed coolant system? White smoke?

Im having same problem i have a 1993 honda civic si i recently replaced the radiator and bc i didnt know to bleed the system i kept losing more and more coolant with no trace of leaks so i had a machanic fix that now not losing coolant ive did upgrade to vms coil 10.2 mm plugs and autolite iradium spark plugs aftermarket exhaust radiator and CAI its blowing white smoke not to thick but almost like im staring it in dead of winter while its 70 degrees outside and its getting very hard to start it has a very tiny very tiny hint of whote smoke when i rev the engine up it dont smoke but only at idle ore like pulsating engine revs since ive bled the air out of coolant system and it hasnt lost any coolant b4, b4 i was putting a gallon of coolant atleast once a week please help me in new member and cant make my own thread idk whats going on ive tryed everything i bought a head gasket just incase thats whats wrong with it but want to make sure thats what it is if i can post a video of what its doing if i can
Old 05-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What happends if you dont bleed coolant system? White smoke?

If you don't bleed the coolant system you can have air pockets in it. This can cause the gauge to spike and can lead to overheating. The coolant system can self-bleed some between the thermostat and over-flow tank, but to do it properly you should fill the coolant and run the car with the radiator cap off. Once the engine is up to operating temperature the thermostat will open and the air will bubble out. Top off the coolant as needed. Once all the air is out and the radiator is full, put the radiator cap back on and fill the overflow tank to the "full hot" mark.

As for your smoke, low coolant shouldn't lead to any type of smoke on its own. White smoke is however, an indication of burning coolant, which is normally associated with a bad head gasket.