Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cooling problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling problems please help

my friends 93 del sol overheated so we went ahead and replaced the motor. on the new motor(a d15b non-vtec motor) that we got from a local warehouse we replaced the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and upper and lower radiator hoses with auto zone parts.
we fired up the car and set the timing and we noticed that the coolant is not circulating. other than the lower radiator hose which doesn't get hot at all and wasnt building any pressure, all the other hoses were getting really hot. so we took out the thermostat and ran the motor without it but nothing changed.
the only thing that i can think of now is the maybe the water pump is not working.
by the way the temp gauge stays right at the center, there is no check engine light, and so far the fan has not turned on even though i let the car run for close to 10 minutes and the temp outside was 100 degrees.
thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the long story.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

please help
Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C-REXXX)

was the original motor bad in the first place? It seems a little extreme to yank the motor for overheating issues that at worse could have been attributed to a blown HG. What is the condition of the radiator? I didnt see you mention you replaced that. Is the fan activating? If not have you jumped the fan? If you have jumped the fan and it works have you jumped the thermoswitch connector to see if its working and the relay is good?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: cooling problems please help (B18C-REXXX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by the way the temp gauge stays right at the center, there is no check engine light, and so far the fan has not turned on even though i let the car run for close to 10 minutes and the temp outside was 100 degrees.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if the temp gauge is in the middle whats the problem?? run it for a little longer and see what happens

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was the original motor bad in the first place? It seems a little extreme to yank the motor for overheating issues that at worse could have been attributed to a blown HG.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to agree here I hope there was something else wrong besides the temperature gauge going high
Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

he did blow the hg and his old motor was really high mileage and was burning a lot of oil. the radiator did not bust and has no leaks so we are still using the same one, but ill take it to a radiator shop to make sure its good. ill will also check the fan and thermostat connector tomorrow to see if they are both working maybe that could of been the reason he overheated his car in the first place.
another quick question: is there a way to check if the water pump is working properly?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cooling problems please help (gtlaw1)

after i notice that the lower hose was not heating up at all, while the top hose was really hot, i didn't want to take chances and decided to turn it off even though the temp gause was not moving any further.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cooling problems please help (B18C-REXXX)

The lower hose is cold after ilding for a bit? Take out the thermostat and run it like that and see what happens. The thermostat and water pump are new you said, but you never know.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
H-T White Ops

upper hose will be warmer than the lower. Lower hose is where the coolant leaves the radiator and goes back into the engine. Upper hose is going to be hot because that's coming straight out of your engine.
Did you have the heat all the way up when you filled the system back up? Air pockets are a bitch.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

i didn't refill with the heater all the way up but i will try that when i get home after i check the thermo, fan switch and flush the system again. thanks.