Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

continuous codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default continuous codes

I have a 94 del sol si (D16Z6). Engine is running like crap (especially as it heats up after 10 or 15 mintes). I tried to pull codes, but the CEL just blinks continuous. All short flashes. No pause at all and it doesn't stop. I realize that a code 1 means O2 sensor, but when does a code 1 stop blinking. I stopped counting after 130. I just kept glancing to make sure I didn't miss a repeat or pause, but there isn't any. Can I interpret this as a code 1 or is there something else wrong here....

Thanks,
Jason
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: continuous codes (85ascMcLaren)

I posted this update on another forum, but thought I would post it here as well....

OK - I cleared the ECU again. And now NO blinks are showing, so that gets rid of the first problem, BUT the engine problem is still there. It just isn't logging any codes. I am sure there are many things that won't cause a code, but any suggestions to try. Just to make sure the logging was working, I unplugged the O2 sensor, and it did log a code. I cleared it and plugged the O2 sensor back in. Started the car - and no check engine light, BUT the problem still exists.... Are there many things that won't log (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, etc)....

Jason
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 AM

Have you tried swapping ECUs with a friend or something to rule out the actual ECU. A little more history would help too. What led to this problem? Did it happen suddenly. More info.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: continuous codes (sol2hatch)

Seems to have happened suddenly. It is a basically stock Z6. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just happened one day last week when I was driving - she started 'bucking'. In the morning - everyting was fine - until she warmed up 10 - 15 min later. Then it started again. Now - it is progressively worse. It doesn't take much time before it starts 'shuttering.' Funny thing is - I had one of my 88 5.0's do something similar one time and the damn computer never registered anything was wrong. Turnout my right side O2 sensor was bad. I didn't find this out until I back-probed the voltage and resistance - which was WAY off. The O2 fixed the problem and the damn processor never logged anything. Problem is the O2 sensor this car is twice as high priced for me to just be buying parts and trying it out. And I don't have the voltages and resistences for these sensors like I did for my mustang....

Any advice would be appreciated...

Jason
Old 10-18-2007, 09:03 PM

the o2 sensor wont cause your problem, not with this car. Is it smoking, or anything like that? could it be a clogged fuel line/filter somewhere? kinda hard without somewhere to start check plugs and wires, and dizzy
Old 10-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not smoking. Fuel mileage has not dropped as far as I can tell. therefore it is not running rich - as far as I can tell. Problem is it mainly does this when the car gets warm or hot and under acceleration. Normally under steady speed - the problem is not as evident. Under the slightest acceleration - she misses like an SOB. So - my question - is this a fuel, spark, or timing problem. HA ! looks like I brought up all three topics....

Jason
Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't belive the fix - at least so far. Damn plug wires. Someone must have used cheap autozone wires on this car before I bought it along with bosch platinums. Changed the cap/rotor, plugs, wires and everything is now fine. I have NEVER had this problem on any 5.0 I have ever owned, but I realize this is a different animal. I used a meter on the plug wires and found two that were intermittaly dead (dying). Thank you all for listening and responding to my problem. I will post this response on the other site I posted to.... I am sure I will have other problems in the future....

Jason