Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL problem. what now. help me out please

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL problem. what now. help me out please

I have a 99 gsr motor in my 92 vx. im using a obd-1 gsr ecu. No check engine for 2 days intill now. I used to get a code 41- O2 sensor, so i got a new O2, that went away. then I got a code 7. tp sensor. I put a new tp sensor on my car. that code went away now too. But now I got a code 1 which is the damn O2 again. Its the primary code now, instead of the heater code. but i have a new O2 on my car. what could be wrong?? And I also got a code 7 AGAIN. damn ****. Ill take a look at it in the morning, but im confused right now. If anyone has any ideas for me, please let me know. thanx in advance.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL problem. what now. help me out please (92hatchy)

Where exactly is that TP Sensor? I'm getting that code too and want to know where it is so I can replace it.

I believe I read that if you disconnect the negative terminal it'll clear the ecu so the same codes won't come up if you fix them. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

How much did a new one cost? Is it an easy fix? Thanks and good luck with your CELs.

Old 08-22-2002, 11:48 PM

check the location of the o2 you car might need on after the cat but i am not sure
Old 08-23-2002, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you wire up the o2, or was it plug and play? Not sure on the eg's, but on my rex I had to wire it in. You might have the wires crossed the two black ones on the 4 wire sensor. Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL problem. what now. help me out please (1st-hybrid)

yes. mine was plug and play. I reset the computer after I put the new TP sensor. it worked for 2 days of driving untill now. And I only have 1 O2. And I don't have a cat. but I am running a obd-1 ecu, so it doesn't care about 2 O2 sensors.
And the Tp sensor is a bitch to change, you have to use a hack saw and cut a grove in the cut off screws. And i had a donner motor that I took the other TP sensor off. its on the bakc on the intake. But honda says that the TP sensor is to sensative to jsut buy a new one, if you want to do it right, you have to buy a new throttel body. good luck.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

New throttle body? That sucks for me then. Is there any other way around it? Is it safe to drive the car when the check engine lights comes on?

Did you notice any difference when the check engine light came on? Sluggishness or loss of power?
Old 08-23-2002, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL problem. what now. help me out please (Thagreybomber)

if you know the reason why your check engine light is on, then its not a big deal if you run with it on. unless its on for soemthing important. always find out why the cel is on first before you drive all over.
and no, i didn't feel and loss of power or anything like that. I couldn't find any problems, i reset the ecu again, and it didn't come on, but im going to go driving and see what happens. it might come on after a little while of driving. ill see.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good looking out. I'll reset mine and see what happens as well. I fixed the knock sensor code and haven't did anything for the TP sensor code so I'll see as well. I didn't get a chance to drive it after resetting the ecu because...it's the weekend, gotta ride the motorcycle!

Thanks again