Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Completely Clueless- Need Advice/Input 92 Civic with odd symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely Clueless- Need Advice/Input 92 Civic with odd symptoms

Alrighty, I was the pround owner of a hell sweet 92 EX Coupe. I recently sold the car, and 4 hours later, the kid calls me and says the car "wont rev". I'm thinking, he burned the clutch out, and he means its over reving and not moving...not the case. At about 3000 RPM the car falls on its face, I know how it use to drive and its got NO *****! Its not the clutch or trans, I had 10 people drive it, some thought it was the clutch, I said no, I ended up having a trans expert drive it, and he says no. I checked compression, thinking it jumped time, its pulling 180lbs per cylinder. So thats out of the question. I have a MSD Ignition box in it, when in neuteral, it will rev up with no problem, I pulled all wires, has great hot spark, and multiple spark like it should. I cannot check fuel pressure because of the set up on the car, but it does no misfire or bog out, nothing like that. It just has no ball at like 3000 rpm. I don't know if the valves need adjusted, or if they're hanging open, but that would likely cause misfire/detonation, I'm not sure if it really is a fuel issue, I'm clueless. I just want this kid off my back. I know he beat on it, in 4 hours, the radios didn't work, the wipers are on all the time, with no speeds, and this crazy running thing. PLEASE HELP, PLEASE! you can even call me, I would be happy if you called 412-721-6020 I'm B. Or email MaliciousCivic@hotmail.com. Please I'm stressed out that he destroyed my baby in less than a day, I just want to fix the car and have this bastard kid go away! Any help would be freaking awesome!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Completely Clueless- Need Advice/Input 92 Civic with odd symptoms (MaliciousCivic)

do you have and cel's? check your ecu and see if you're flashing any codes.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:07 PM

Hi Brian. This is Eric the "bastard kid" who bought your car.

1) Let me start off by saying I have not beat
your "baby" to any extent. And this simple fact is why I hadn't come across the problem until 4 hours later, because I hadn't gone past 3000 rpms. I also posted here asking for help for this problem.

2) The radios didn't work because you have 2 head units hooked up that pull too much power when they are both on, and they blew a fuse.

3)The wipers didn't work the first time I drove it because the switch was obviously faulty. No one destroyed anything, and up until I saw this, everyone I talked to had strong feelings that you knowingly sold me this car with problems(which would explain why you said I was trying to "blow it up" when test driving it going up a hill at 3000 rpms in 2nd gear). However I also would love this "bastard kid" to be able to go away with a properly running car, so people, all your help is much appreciated. And Brian, I'm glad to be dealing with a true professional here, when I go online to do research and see the way you talk about me. Here is my Post: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2270090
Old 04-06-2008, 04:08 PM

P.S

You sold me this car as 94, as it says on the title. Any reason why your saying its a 92 on here?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (kkilo)

wow that is some major drama unfolding here! There is many threads on here about this problem just search a little bit
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 PM

bump
Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 PM

I'm back....

so....ya ok you called my out on this site here....and I'll admit I wasn't smart enough to anticipate you finding this article, and I was also rude and yes...unprofessional about it. You have been cool about all this, I would have thought that the first day you would have been bitching up a storm, but no...a week went by and you were very understanding. So I do apologize for calling you a "bastard"....you have to understand that I spent uncountable hours, sweat, tears into that car, and within 4 hours you had it in shambles. So naturally I was, and am a bit upset about it, but it's no longer my car so you can do what you please to it, just a shame all my hard work went to hell. But onto the accusations....sold you the car with problems? No no...I certainly did not, you drove the car, I showed you the only things wrong with it...AND FIXED THEM. Who else would sell you a car and use the money and put the time in to replace a battery, a l.c. arm bushing that was a major pain in the *** to do, buy a brand new intake filter for you. Listen, who ever said I sold the car with problems has no idea, much like you, what they're talking about. I've been doing this since I was 10 yrs old, I know more about cars than men that are 40 plus years of age. So you and your people can say what you want, but when it comes down to it, I'm the technician, I'm certified, you and they are not. When we went on the TD and I said "don't blow it up"....that was because you hit second gear with a grandma shift at like 6500 RPMs...and you smashed every pothole as if you were aiming for them. **** happens with cars, I know this, I experience it everyday of my miserable life...but honestly what am I to think when you take me on a test drive like that....that you can't drive a stick, or drive period, and you took the car out and hammered on it. I drove that car every single day in the summer, and even in the winter when the roads were clear, I'd pull it out of the garage after it was sitting for months and that car would fire right up, idle smooth, and even in 2nd gear if I gave it some throttle it would break the tires free. And you know what, that week after whatever happened, I spent a few hours every single day trying to fix whatever happened. No one would do that for you, no one. I had super experienced guys look at it, I was on the phone for multiple hours talking to people, and believe me I didn't post this to bad mouth you, or for my health, I went completely out of my way to try and help you out, and you're going to tell me I sold you a car with problems? Well bud, you've worn out your welcome now. I will not touch that car, look at that car, or talk to you about that car, you dug your own hole now. Ya I understand I shouldn't have called you a bastard, but frustration kicked in and I made a bad judgment call. But you certainly made a bad call when you accused me of selling you a lemon. and just one more tid-bit....I posted it as "92" because that is the beginning of the body style, if you post a middle year sometimes people aren't sure what chassis it is. All there is to that. Like on ebay if you type in 94, you get a less listing than if you typed in 92 or 95, the begging and the end of that body. So anyways, I hope you figure your car out, I really do, it's a great car and you got a hell of a deal....even after whatever happened its still a hell of a deal. Nice doing business with you, sorry for things having to go this route, but you know what, for me at least its better this way.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM

Bryan,

Not only do I completely agree that you went well, well.....WELL out of your way to help me out, but I also agree that most wouldn't have done it, and either way, problems or not, I got a hell of a deal and I am still extremely happy with the car. Also, I am most certainly definitely not accusing you of selling me the car with problems you didn't tell me about, ESPECIALLY after seeing your post here, that proves (sort of) that you didn't. I was saying that some people said it seemed like that could be it, especially considering I considered you price to be conspicuously low. As for the test drive, I honestly cant remember clearly enough either noticing or not noticing the rpms or "*****" being limited, so I can't really speak on that. But think of it in terms of if you wer ebuying a car. ESPECIALLY a car with performance mods done to it. Anyone in their right mind would push the car to its limits on the test drive, not only to see what it can do but to make sure its all solid. And to be honest, now after gone through all this, I'm sorry I didn't push the car harder, maybe I would have seen something that I obviously didn't. But I didn't so it's in the past. On another note, I completely understand being done looking at or trying to work with the car after this long, especially if you believed it was something I did to the car that made this happen, but I assure you it wasn't. Yes you are a mechanic and I am not (my dad is). And yes you know the car, and I don't, but to say that I don't know how to drive, or that I beat on your car and thats how this happened is just ridiculous. First reason being I am not permitted to drive the car by my parents until the defroster and heater core get fixed, so the one time I did drive I noticed these problems ( The radio and wipers are my fault, so I take blame for those). But all in all, I just wanna say both that I absolutely didn't do anything to cause this to the car, and never beat on it for one second, and also thanks for setting me up so well as you did, you can put your head to rest knowing it will be babied and treated like an infant just as much as it did when you owned it. Thanks again for everything, I would appreciate a reply, if nothing else. Have a good one.

-Eric

P.S. I still need input on resolving this so anyone who has any ideas please please post them!!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 PM

Post some pics of this you two speak of.
Am I the only one?

=P
Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (RaWrZie)

your 3000rpm revs is a distributor going bad. either replace the ignitor or the whole distributor. for the radio, just install 1 and use that 1 only. the wipers should work just change out the switch on the steering columm. very commone for the switches to break for these years.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

I cant really agree with this guy aboves distributor thing....it doesn't misfire at all. I am going with the safe mode situation. I suggest disconnect the battery for a prolonged amount of time, see if that does it. I'm not sure how it goes into "Safe mode" I've had 5 civics, and none have ever done this. But it makes sense to me that the ecm/ecu is protecting the motor by reducing either fuel trim, spark, or retarding/advancing the timing. I'm not sure what exactly it does to protect the motor in safe mode, or how it gets into safe mode, but I'm almost certain its a computer issue. The car does not misfire, its just go no ***** like it suddenly goes out of time at 3000. The distributor is out of a 92 accord, its set up for an external coil. Or actually thats just the cap, now I do know they have internal distributor problems, but my experience with them are that the car won't start. It will just crank, possibly try the battery thing, leave it un plugged for like an hour or two, I believe hondas also have some type of capacitor to maintain information, maybe disconnect it, then try to crank it once to drain out any power left in the electrical system. If that does not work, I would probably get a distributor, the whole thing, from a junk yard and put it in. I just don't think its a "mechanical" issues, I think its a computer controlled issue, and the safe mode scenario seems to fit. Try and find out more info on "safe mode", why it goes into safe mode, and what to do to get it out. Maybe you'll have to get a junkyard ECU too, I'll warn you that they're getting hard to find though
Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkilo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">P.S

You sold me this car as 94, as it says on the title. Any reason why your saying its a 92 on here?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there were no 92 coupes
Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

it sounds like the two of you are getting this worked out like gentlemen after all. (was worried when I started reading the thread.

As far as the car, fmrprojects hit it on the head.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your 3000rpm revs is a distributor going bad. either replace the ignitor or the whole distributor. for the radio, just install 1 and use that 1 only. the wipers should work just change out the switch on the steering columm. very commone for the switches to break for these years.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the igniter and coil both can do this, and they don't have to show signs of misfires either... I've seen it both ways.

provided there are no CELs... limp or safe mode = 4k hard rev limiter no matter what the load on the engine.
If here are CELs then follow them to the problem.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Thanks for all your help guys. I am trying to disconnect the battery for awhile to see if it clears up any fail safe mode problems. If not the next step will prob be replacing the distributor. Anyone else have any reinforcements/clarifications/input? I'm looking to be as sure as possible about this before I do anything.

EDIT: Is safe mode always limited to exactly 3k or 3200 rpms? Because in different gears I can get farther and farther into rpms before it falls on its face. And if it were in safe mode wouldn't the CEL be on?

Modified by kkilo at 12:13 PM 4/11/2008
Old 04-12-2008, 06:49 PM

bump
Old 04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Completely Clueless- Need Advice/Input 92 Civic with odd symptoms (MaliciousCivic)

if the distributer thing doesn't work, check the fuel filter an old or clogged filter can limit flow especially at higher rpms where more fuel is required. filters should be changed about every 30-45k if you buy the generic gas (walmart) who get their gas from the cheapest supplier
Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kkilo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EDIT: Is safe mode always limited to exactly 3k or 3200 rpms? Because in different gears I can get farther and farther into rpms before it falls on its face. And if it were in safe mode wouldn't the CEL be on?</TD></TR></TABLE>
as I said before...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">limp or safe mode = 4k hard rev limiter no matter what the load on the engine</TD></TR></TABLE>
and yes the CEL would be on.

your's isn't correct? what you describe fits the igniter perfectly. (being able to rev higher in lower gears)
Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 AM

Default Re: (Relic1)

the fuel filter was replaced at like 116k. I always put 91 or higher in, and even injector cleaner/octane boost on occasion. Theres really no way to test fuel pressure w/o the special fitting to put onto the filter. Like I said you could cut the rubber line, but you'd have to replace it afterwards because it's likely it'd blow out under the hood=not good.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 AM

bump. So far most people are saying distributor. What do YOU think sir or madame?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 AM

bump
Old 04-18-2008, 08:00 AM

bump
Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tried the distributor?
bumping a thread just for the sake of getting more people to agree that's the problem is simply going to annoy everyone to the point of not posting...
Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM

wasn't bumping for agreement I was bumping to get other people thoughts before I replace the distributor. Should anything be different with a distributor for MSD ignition or will a reg 92-95 1.6l vtec dizzy work?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha two grown men fighting on a website....haha but at least you kids can play nice after all
Old 05-02-2008, 09:42 PM

Default Re: (ballinboosi)

thanks for all of your wonderful advice and valuable input

Quick Reply: Completely Clueless- Need Advice/Input 92 Civic with odd symptoms