Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coilovers + very strange suspension situation...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilovers + very strange suspension situation...

ok, this is a little hard to explain so please bear with me. my car has been like this for awhile but i never thought to ask you guys about it, so here goes. i installed coil-overs on my car, and i wanted to lower it to about where the top of the tire was in-line with the top of the fender, like right before it'd tuck under. but i can't, when i get to a certain spot, it won't go any lower, it gets to the point when the spring and collar are just sitting loose in there, and not holding up the car. but it'll still bounce like its suspended(BTW i do not have sway bars, so that can't be it) so wtf is holding the car up in those instances? i actually had to set my coil-overs at different heights to get the car level(it was like that before i lowered it, but i thought the coil-overs would remedy the problem. its like a puzzle that i can't figure out, WTF is holding the car up?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: coilovers + very strange suspension situation... (littlegreenb18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littlegreenb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, this is a little hard to explain so please bear with me. my car has been like this for awhile but i never thought to ask you guys about it, so here goes. i installed coil-overs on my car, and i wanted to lower it to about where the top of the tire was in-line with the top of the fender, like right before it'd tuck under. but i can't, when i get to a certain spot, it won't go any lower, it gets to the point when the spring and collar are just sitting loose in there, and not holding up the car. but it'll still bounce like its suspended(BTW i do not have sway bars, so that can't be it) so wtf is holding the car up in those instances? i actually had to set my coil-overs at different heights to get the car level(it was like that before i lowered it, but i thought the coil-overs would remedy the problem. its like a puzzle that i can't figure out, WTF is holding the car up? </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you want your car to go lower, remove the brake line collar(the little thing that the brake lines bolt down to, then tighten the 14mm bolt that holds the lower part of the shock. this will lower the car about 1-2 inches.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: coilovers + very strange suspension situation... (cxSHOE)

that may help, but what i'm really interested in is why its doing this, whats holding the car up, why do i need my coilovers at different heights to level out the car?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:19 PM

coil overs are upside down. take apart and make sure the fronts are on the front and so on.....look for the manufacturors web site and make sure u installed them correctly
Old 10-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: coilovers + very strange suspension situation... (james111)

they are not upside down, they are installed correctly. i don't see how installing them upside down would even cause that problem, they don't even hold the car up, as i said
Old 10-12-2005, 07:36 PM

Did u cut the bump stop if u didnt then u need to cut the big ring off then it should be fine then just adjust the coilovers. If u did this already i have no clue.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: coilovers + very strange suspension situation... (IntegraLs97)

i did, but its not sitting low enough to hit the bump stop, i think its magic, thats the only thing i can think of. actually what i was really thinking is maybe the rubber bushings on the upper control arm(which i tightened while the car was up, therefore the arm was down) are being twisted and they are holdint the car up. i dont think they are strong enough, but i can't think of anything else
Old 10-12-2005, 08:36 PM

un-even = differnet springs. They may not say it on them, but this happened with a buddies civic. one was a 350, other was 250 (or 450 i cant remember) either way we matched it up an its good now. there the same length its the "strength" thats different, not sure. But yah check it out