Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coil Overs with stock struts

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Overs with stock struts

Hello, guys!

Not so long ago I had a post about buying coil overs from ebay.
So finaly they have arrived and yesterday I've put them on.
Now i have a problem that my car is very bouncy and is quite a disaster to drive.
I've made it a little bit higher than it was before with the stock ones.
The struts have some kind of a rubber bushing (i'm quite sure for the word) orange in color that I suppose is for stopping. So now this rubber is about 1" from the bottom (this is how i raised the springs).
I'll try and lower them today or any of those days with 1" or more.

My question is... how low can I lower the sprngs... until they stop to function and the whole suspension is taken care by the struts. What is the optimal height of the strut piston to funcion properly.
(I'm sorry for the not so perfect english, but I'm from Eastern Europe)

P.S.

On top of that the rear left strut now has a leak and the whole thing in in oil .
And i definitely do not have money for new struts, but please can you tell me if i put RED Koni is it going to be OK?

Thanks for all the answers in advance. Hope that You can help me, cause from the ppl that ener our forum I think I'm the first one with such improvements and they cannot give me any clue.
Thank You.

I forgot: 92 Civic Hatch D16Z7 SOHC VTEC engine (same az Z6)
Old 09-19-2005, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coil Overs with stock struts (surr3a1)

Your shocks are blown if you're getting oil. The springrates are probably high, wich caused them to fail. This is also what is giving the bouncy ride, becuase the shocks can't dampen the springrate. Also, eBay coilovers are pretty bad as it is, so you may still be 'bouncy' after adding a good shock; but the Koni Reds may be underdamped as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by bushing or whatever, do you have any pics? You should be able to just move the collar up and down the threaded sleeve to raise or lower the car.

Old 09-19-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Coil Overs with stock struts (AutoXer)

Yes this is what I'm doing, but:

If You imagine the strut body and the stick that is moving up and down... so at the end of this stick there is some kind of a rubber bushing that prevents it from going all the way down... if i try to press it all the way down this rubber touches the cilinder of the strut and it cannot be pressed any more. So if I loose the springs lower I will eventually get to the point where all the weight of the car is upon the struts (the point where this rubber is all the way down and touching the face of the cilinder - the strut is all the way down) and the springs do not function at all and of course this will ruin the struts (which are already quite bad)
Old 09-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you didn't do any research before you bought springs because you wanted to be cool with no money and have a lowered car...now your shocks are blown...which have to be replace...but you don't have any money. Nothing comes for free...suspension is the last thing you want to go cheap on

read
http://www.superhonda.com/foru...12488
go down to section 2a.3
Old 09-19-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: (vancoland)

the problem here is that i get 500$ a month salary... which is quite big in my country... not everyone is living in USA... I have to buy food, pay rent... and so on...

Actually I gave 2 minimal wages (the minimal wage allowed by the law) for those springs... so they are quite expensive for me ... I want to live in USA, but I can't...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coil Overs with stock struts (surr3a1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by surr3a1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so at the end of this stick there is some kind of a rubber bushing that prevents it from going all the way down...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be your bumpstop. You're probably hitting them anyway, since your shocks are blown.

You're going to be wasting more money to get the cheap coilovers to work. If you're short on cash, get the Koni Reds and install them with your stock shocks. Koni Yellows may help with the ride of the coilovers that you have now, and you can upgrade to GC's later, but it doesn't sound like you could afford that.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Coil Overs with stock struts (AutoXer)

actually this is what i got:

http://www.tommotorsport.com/2...e=USD

I'm sorry if this is considered spam.

I'll try to fix things up somehow... thanks for all the answers...