Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Code 14 IACV question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 14 IACV question

I somehow managed to pull the wires from plug that leads to the engine harness (with the rubber grommet intact on the wiring) when I took the IACV out the other week. Not entirely sure how that happened as I was positive I disconnected it, but obviously not. I put the wires back in and reinstalled the IACV, but the car won't turn over. It's throwing code 14 (IACV). I bought another IACV (B16a) from ebay because even after I cleaned the first one twice, the car still surged. I installed the second one and it still won't turn over. The code's still 14. I'm thinking it's more than likely the plug on the sensor. Any thoughts?

The car's a 97 HX MT. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 14 IACV question

Maybe try resetting the ecu? And when you put the wires back together, you sure they're on correct?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think it might be your wires. because i have the same problem with my gsr ek. the ivac causes the car to not start up.
on my car, it takes a long crank to start it up but dies as soon as it starts for a sec.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll try resetting the ECU but my first thought was to check the wiring. I just haven't had time to go out until really late and by then i'm too tired. I will check both. I wasn't sure if the wires needed to go in any specific way. I found a picture where the actual thumb clip side of the plug is the green wire and the non-clip side of the plug is the black wire. I think I may have these backwards
Old 05-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I reset the ECU and swapped the wires (mine is yellow, not green). I had to put gas in the car via a 5-gal tank because it was a bit low, which wouldn't have been a big deal, but my mother-in-law's a wench and put a bit of oil in the gas to spite me (we really despise that chick). Anyway, I poured about a gallon of mixed oil in before I realized what she did. Shouldn't be a major deal because people have done this before with little consequence, and the car's done most of its smoking. However, once I turn it on, I have to give it gas for it to stay on. Anything below and above exactly 1500RPM and it revs fine. But at exactly 1500RPM at half throttle, the needle just pulses there and the car vibrates. I made a video but I'll have to make another one because it didn't come out right. After about ten minutes, I let off the throttle and the needle drops to about 100RPM. It's absurdly low. And it stays on, but JUST that low. Still throws an IACV code 14. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by honda_jdm89
i think it might be your wires. because i have the same problem with my gsr ek. the ivac causes the car to not start up.
on my car, it takes a long crank to start it up but dies as soon as it starts for a sec.
Funny, about a month ago, I threw a code 74 (random misfire on cylinder 4). I was about to head to the store to get new wires and the code went away. The only code it would throw was 14. Weird.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the car out for a spin. The idle/vibration issue is noticeable at 1500 RPM only. Once in third gear, the car bogs a bit before it accelerates and it'll completely cut off if I try to come to a stop. Anytime the idle drops, it cuts off. I've searched, but everything just says IACV, IACV. I've cleaned it and swapped it completely. I can't really find anything else concrete and it's driving me crazy.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its throwing a cel for the IACV for a reason. Either you fried your ecu by connecting it wrong and reversing the polarity of the circuit (which I wouldnt think would happen). I would first unplug your ecu and get a small 9V battery. Connect the ground side of the battery to your car via a wire...and take the positive side and probe it into the ecu pin at the IACV location. With the voltage connected jump to the IACV and verify that you are getting ~9V. If the signal goes to the ground or it doesnt get much voltage then there is a break in the wire and it would be easier to wire straight from the ecu wire to the IACV. Also clean that bitch...dont just swap them out.