Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch wire. Do I need it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch wire. Do I need it?

I'm doing a tranny swap, from an automatic to a manual on my EJ1. I have all of the nessacary parts, except for the clutch wire, (the wire that plugs into the sensor in the clutch, so when you push it in, it tells the car it's okay to start). Obviously, the wire was put there for a reason. But I've been looking everywhere for it, classified, Ebay, junkyards, everything but no luck. Will my car work fine without this wire?

Now, I've been unable to find this part. I've heard of people not using this wire, so my question is, do I need this wire?

Where does this wire connect to in general? I'm guessing either the ECU or starter.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:17 AM

if you have the switch, why not just run the wire yourself? Otherwise, buy a switch from radio shack and wire it up. Find the pinout for the clutch sensor on the ecu.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: (Pioneer162)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pioneer162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have the switch, why not just run the wire yourself? Otherwise, buy a switch from radio shack and wire it up. Find the pinout for the clutch sensor on the ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, I don't want to go through the trouble of that. I've never been good when it comes to wiring, or pinning wires to an ECU.

If I were to get it, I would want to get the original wire and not deal with the hassel.

When my buddy did this swap in his '98 4 door, he didn't use it. He starts up the car without pushing in the clutch.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

You shouldn't have any problems without a neutral safety switch. Although It's probably a good idea to have it, I don't see why you'd have any problems without this switch. You will be running the automatic ECU that's still in the car - right?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Re: (Jessm985)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jessm985 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You shouldn't have any problems without a neutral safety switch. Although It's probably a good idea to have it, I don't see why you'd have any problems without this switch. You will be running the automatic ECU that's still in the car - right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I will be running the manual P28 ECU. Now, the nuetral saftey switch, is that the clutch wire that I'm referring to?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 AM

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

Yep - it should be the same thing. Well - I checked into this some more. Seems like I might have been a little confused. Apparently, you'll need to have the switch hooked up in order to complete the circuit. Once the circuit is complete, you'll be able to start the car. Keep in mind, I have absolutely no experience with A/T. I'm pretty sure there is a similar swith on A/T that won't let you start the car while it's in park. If so - I'd probably just run a lead from that switch to the neutral safety switch. When I get home from work - I'll break out the Helms and see if the switches work the same way.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: (Jessm985)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jessm985 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep - it should be the same thing. Well - I checked into this some more. Seems like I might have been a little confused. Apparently, you'll need to have the switch hooked up in order to complete the circuit. Once the circuit is complete, you'll be able to start the car. Keep in mind, I have absolutely no experience with A/T. I'm pretty sure there is a similar swith on A/T that won't let you start the car while it's in park. If so - I'd probably just run a lead from that switch to the neutral safety switch. When I get home from work - I'll break out the Helms and see if the switches work the same way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. With an AT it doesn't allow you to start the car if it is not in park. I've read of people not wiring it up, but that makes sense that it won't complete the circuit.

Anymore information on this would be great.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Clutch wire. Do I need it? (JDM-EJ1)

Any body?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:46 PM

Found out that I DO NOT need this wire.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:05 AM

Sorry about the delay - I didn't realize I was limited to 5 posts a day. Do you plan on running the 12V lead directly from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid? Before the 12V lead can pass through to the solenoid - it's gotta run through the gear position selector switch. I'm assuming this will be removed when you do the conversion. If so, how will the signal pass through to the solenoid? I'm pretty curious about this myself..