Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch or tranny, or both...help please, its getting annoying

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or tranny, or both...help please, its getting annoying

When i push my clutch in, whether to shift or not, it squeeks...whats up with that?
And when i change gears, in motion or not, it makes a crunching/clicking sound. I have a B&M short shifter in, it kinda made the crunching/clicking sound, but no where near as loude, when i bought the car (already had the short shift in it) My dad says its the linkage, but i dunno about that.

Can i get some opinions before i take my car in and blow a couple hundred bucks for them to drop my tranny and possibly find nothing.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Electrician

1. Usually, it's the Clutch Master Cylinder that squeaks. Check under your dash where the "rod" goes through the firewall. That rod goes into the Clutch Master Cylinder. If the Clutch Master Cylinder is shot, it will be leaking brake fluid throught the rubber grommet and will squeak. I replaced mine that was leaking, but it still squeaks. Everyone says it's normal for it to squeak.

2. Your grinding noise may be your Synchros going out. Since you have a short shifter, that might be the case. The previous owner probably ragged the **** out of it and probably wore out the Synchros.

3. IMO, remove the short shifter and replace it with the OEM shifter. Drain your tranny fluid and replace it with Pennzoil Synchromesh w/ a bottle of Friction Modifier or get some GM Synchromesh w/ Friction Modifier already pre-mixed. Pennzoil makes the one for GM so you can get the Pennzoil at a local Auto Zone or go to the GM Dealer for the GM stuff.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:04 PM

what will the synchromesh do? will it fix the synchro problem or should i get new synchros? (if thats possible..tranny newb here)

Also, since its a manual tranny, how do i go about replacing the fluid? do i have to drop the tranny? and how much fluid do i put in? id rather do this myself rather than blow a whack of cash at a transmission place.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Clutch or tranny, or both...help please, its getting annoying (d16y8EL)

bump
Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Re: (d16y8EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16y8EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what will the synchromesh do? will it fix the synchro problem or should i get new synchros? (if thats possible..tranny newb here)

Also, since its a manual tranny, how do i go about replacing the fluid? do i have to drop the tranny? and how much fluid do i put in? id rather do this myself rather than blow a whack of cash at a transmission place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

syncromesh mught help the problem . you possibly need new syncros. but iam not there so how can i tell.

make sure the master cylinder is leaking. you will have a softer feeling pedal if it is. but do a visual of it to make sure. cahnging the fluid fill it at the master cylinders reservoir and bleed it at the slave cylinder like you would bleed your brakes
Old 07-08-2004, 06:07 PM

My pedal squeaks too but only when I first start it up. Once I'm moving, it doesn't do it again.