Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch pedal drops to floor

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal drops to floor

My clutch goes all the way in to the floor and when I changed the slave cylinder and tried bleeding it nothing happened. Any ideas on what I did wrong or need to do. It's a 95 honda del sol.

Last edited by jwhiten; 02-10-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: car info
Old 02-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Clutch pedal drops to floor

Add car information your first post.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:56 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RonJ on point with the thread splitting today

Exactly what did you do, OP? Did you just replace the slave? Did you check the return spring? Did you adjust pedal travel?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Trial User

Honestly I'm a girl trying to fix her own car. It's a 95 honda del sol. My clutch stopped working about a month ago. I talked with the auto parts store and they guy said it was the slave cylinder and to replace it. So I put the part in following a YouTube video. I went to bleed by closing it while the clutch was up and then pressing it down and then opening it back up like the video said to do since I live alone and just moved to a new city. Just wondering if I did something wrong. I didn't have a bottle to do something he said in the video but I called the auto guy and he said I didn't need to do that part
Old 02-10-2015, 02:18 PM

It sounds like you didn't bleed it correctly. You can't bleed alone without some kind of solo bleeding setup. Something like this works well (I'm personally planning on ordering them for all of my brakes, as well as my clutch), or if you just want something "now", you can do something like this. All you need is a bottle (they use a water bottle in the video, but ANY bottle will work, including a half empty bottle of brake fluid) and a length of hose, which you can pick up at any auto parts store, or even Lowes/Home Depot.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Trial User

Thank you for the help. I will probably try again tomorrow when it is warmer and let you know how it goes. I am doing it because I have found a reliable mechanic in the new town and after moving I don't have extra money for repairs yet. plus this one seemed simple but appearantly wasn't as easy as I thought.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:25 PM

It's a pretty simple job, you're just skipping a step. It happens.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Trial User

I looked at the part you suggested it says brake bleeder but I can use it on the clutch correct?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NotARacist
It's a pretty simple job, you're just skipping a step. It happens.
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I am new to the site also so I'm glad someone was able to get the post to where someone would see it.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:30 PM

Yep. The brakes and clutch are both hydraulic systems. They both work the same way, just to a different end. They also both use the same fluid.

If you want to get not-so-technical about it, all your clutch is, is a massive brake pad that clamps on the flywheel (the brake rotor, in this comparison) so the rotation can be transferred from the engine to the transmission, whereas a brake pad clamps onto the brake rotor to transfer rotation into the stationary hub assembly to make the car stop.

Originally Posted by jwhiten
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I am new to the site also so I'm glad someone was able to get the post to where someone would see it.
Not a problem Just in the future, don't bump someone else's thread with your problem. Check the FAQ sticky, and if your question isn't answered there, create your own thread. Bumping someone else's thread with your issue is thread jacking, and usually a thread necro, both of which are a forum faux pas.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Yep. The brakes and clutch are both hydraulic systems. They both work the same way, just to a different end. They also both use the same fluid.

If you want to get not-so-technical about it, all your clutch is, is a massive brake pad that clamps on the flywheel (the brake rotor, in this comparison) so the rotation can be transferred from the engine to the transmission, whereas a brake pad clamps onto the brake rotor to transfer rotation into the stationary hub assembly to make the car stop.

Not a problem Just in the future, don't bump someone else's thread with your problem. Check the FAQ sticky, and if your question isn't answered there, create your own thread. Bumping someone else's thread with your issue is thread jacking, and usually a thread necro, both of which are a forum faux pas.
I kinda googled the problem and ended up on the thread and being on mobile the site confused me even more