Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civik key question???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civik key question???

My car was stolen over the summer and I guess the theives fucked up my ignition, so when the car was fixed they replaced it with a new one. But now I am stuck having to use two different keys and at first it was okay, but now its getting on my nerves. So my question is, is there a way to get it so that the same key can start my car and unlock my doors again, and if do how much does it cost??
Old 12-30-2003, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Civik key question??? (JDM_Bug)

y dont u just get an alarm that unlocks for u? thats what i would do...there are cheap ones that u can get out there, at least i think there are...or maybe an even cheaper way to go would to be to call ur "local" locksmith and see if they can change the locks to match ur ignition key...some can do that, at least they can do it for houses, i kno that much....if that doesn't help i dont kno what to tell u man.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:04 PM

what he said
Old 12-30-2003, 11:07 PM
Ekay

Default Re: (frosteg6)

The real question is... why the hell did he spell Civic with a k?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Ekay)

the same reason you put "AY" behind your EK. because he can.

back on subject, you should be able to go to the honda dealer and give them your VIN # and they should be able to match either the door lock or ignition.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (O.G triple O.G)

what OG said,,

look at the cost and you will see have two keys will be fine..... if you happen to still have the old ignition cylinder you could have put that in the newone?? that would have been my first question to tell the person who fixed it for you..
Old 12-31-2003, 04:49 PM

I got the two key blues too, dude. Same deal; OG ignition destroyed by ******** that would rather steal than buy their own ****. I painted the head of my ignition key green(green for "go", cute huh?). The cost does not outweigh the convenience, believe me. An alarm that unlocks the doors is great if you have power locks, which I don't.

I thought this was neat tho'; I lost my OG keys(one ignition, one lock) in the snow along with my only alarm remote. I had second generation copies made(copies from copies) and now one key opens the doors and starts the car, but only if you put it in the "right" way. If it doesn't turn the lock/ignition, I flip it and it works.

I found the key ring with the semi original keys and alarm remote in the spring underneath the wheel well of my tractor(plowing purposes) and the cruddy, damp remote still worked. I'm still using the 2nd gen copied keys tho'
Old 12-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just about any Honda parts or service department should be able to disassemble the cylinder and re-key it.

Anyone that is interested in having us at Wilde Honda do it can PM me or check out the Wilde website in my sig and PM me there to set something up.

We can take the lock cylinders apart, get the keycode and sequence from your VIN, and key any cylinder for any combination you'd like.. Keep in mind this is somewhat of a timely and surgical process, but it is an option for those of you that just can't stand it anymore.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: (Hater)

I too have the 2 key situation. My four door got stolen and stripped.... got it back but i now use two keys one for the doors and one for the ignition.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys still have your original ignition stuff, take it to a locksmith. IT's about 20 bucks to have that stuff swapped over. I did one myself on a theft recovery Si that I put back together.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have the original switch you can remove the cylinder and replace it with your old one. I just did this with a car that I had to buy a new switch for but didn't want the hassle of two keys. its pretty simple to do. yell if you need some help.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:36 PM

Default Re: (upgraded)

honda can rekey it for 70 bucks.

jesse