Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 civic suspension?

What's up guys? The suspension in my 92 VX needs to be replaced piece by piece... Is it smarter to look for a whole kit? What parts come with these kits? Would it be cheaper to find each piece seperate? My guess so far is upper n lower control arms, tie rods, and coil overs... Whats missing? I appreciate any feed back!

P.S. - Is the only difference the polyurethance bushings?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: civic suspension?

How many miles are on it?

I would do OEM front uppers, and inner and outer tie rods, and lower ball joints.

For bushings, take a look at PIC hardrubber bushings, and Energy suspension.

For coilovers, Progress, Koni/GC/PIC, AMR, in that order, being cheapest to most.

I know you didn't search, but you need to.

Also, what's your budget? Is the car a daily driver? What other modifcations do you have? Have you added sway bars?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

336,435 lol and the gauge stopped running last year! My budget is decent... I spend pretty big with this car. So there isn'y much difference between performance and stock suspension? Just the bushings?

Yes this VX is the daily driver with no mods so far. I did look. Skunk2 and eibach websites, and was like yeah right 220.00 for rear lower control arms. This is why I ask is it worth it? How different can it be from stock?

So get stock components but substitute the bushings?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Originally Posted by 98civdx
How many miles are on it?

I would do OEM front uppers, and inner and outer tie rods, and lower ball joints.

For bushings, take a look at PIC hardrubber bushings, and Energy suspension.

For coilovers, Progress, Koni/GC/PIC, AMR, in that order, being cheapest to most.

I know you didn't search, but you need to.

Also, what's your budget? Is the car a daily driver? What other modifcations do you have? Have you added sway bars?
Wow, great first post. I would definitely go with everything OEM as far as control arms/ball joints and tie rods. But as far as springs/shocks go; personally I would go with a Ground Control with some Tokico Illumina shocks.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have always used oem bushings but ive heard people say that their "high performance" bushings only last a couple years. a lot of people stil have their original oem bushings from when the car was made 10+ years ago. id just get new bushings for the stuff you already have if i were you.. just my 2 cents. dont forget hub bearings, upper control arms, lower ball joints, all the rear bushings.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oem bushings are by far the best, as far as quality and endurance go.. if it's a daily, you might want to spend the extra money and go oem.. however, i just replaced all my oem bushings (90% were shot) with energysuspension and i love them.. but once again, oem will be a smoother ride, where as energysusp. is stiffer
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Are you wanting to lower this car at all? Or, leave it at stock height? If you plan to daily it, I would go the OEM route. Reason why? These parts have been tested and proven to last long. Honda has a much larger R&D budget than say, Skunk2, or any other after market company. It may be more expensive, but in the end, you're getting a better quality part.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AntDaKrilled
336,435 lol and the gauge stopped running last year! My budget is decent... I spend pretty big with this car. So there isn'y much difference between performance and stock suspension? Just the bushings?

Yes this VX is the daily driver with no mods so far. I did look. Skunk2 and eibach websites, and was like yeah right 220.00 for rear lower control arms. This is why I ask is it worth it? How different can it be from stock?

Lower control arms are really a waste, unless you want the "look"
Just keep OEM control arms and replace the bushings. But if your looking to add a rear sway bar, you may have to swap out yours for ones with the endlink hole.

For bushings I would take a look at PIC/hardrace bushings. OEM would be great, but, they can get very expensive fast.

Ball joints, tie rods, things like that, OEM/MOOG only.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

336,435+ nooicee! so id just go with oem everything, they got you that far didnt they?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98cdmej6
336,435+ nooicee! so id just go with oem everything, they got you that far didnt they?
Your absolutely right cause I bought it at 265,000 and been beatin it since! It was just a question of will my car turn better with an aftermarket suspension? And if so, what parts. Maybe Honda will want it at 500,000 for a show car lol.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Lower control arms are really a waste, unless you want the "look"
Just keep OEM control arms and replace the bushings. But if your looking to add a rear sway bar, you may have to swap out yours for ones with the endlink hole.

For bushings I would take a look at PIC/hardrace bushings. OEM would be great, but, they can get very expensive fast.

Ball joints, tie rods, things like that, OEM/MOOG only.
So stock is better? Wow who knew?! Ok so maybe some of those rotors with all the grooves in it, and a set of lowering springs, along with all those OEM replacement parts, and thats all she wrote! So whats so special about the bushings? And do they have adjustable coil overs?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM-EJ1
Are you wanting to lower this car at all? Or, leave it at stock height? If you plan to daily it, I would go the OEM route. Reason why? These parts have been tested and proven to last long. Honda has a much larger R&D budget than say, Skunk2, or any other after market company. It may be more expensive, but in the end, you're getting a better quality part.
Eventually want to lower it yes. Do they have adjustable coil overs? That's whats in this. And OEM is direct from Honda? Or you can get autozone stuff?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eventually want to lower it yes. Do they have adjustable coil overs? That's whats in this. And OEM is direct from Honda? Or you can get autozone stuff?
OE = Original Equipment (came on the car new)
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer (the company that made the OE part, not always the car manufacturer).
Aftermarket = parts made to OE specifications by a company other then the OEM (ie Autozone parts, etc.).

Last edited by TheJGB3; 09-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys freakin rock! Thanks so much. Learned a lot.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're looking into getting suspension you might want to read my thread:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/click-here-all-you-curious-about-suspension-setups-their-costs-reliability-2967499/