Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic overheated driving is my car blown?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post civic overheated driving is my car blown?

I was driving at night and wide open runs couple of times. I drove like almost 1 hour or so. I came back driving home maybe almost couple of miles back. Then i checked my gauge only found out almost to the max over heated. Idk if its fully overheated along time when i was driving. I drove closest parkinglot and waited to cool down. And drove about couple of miles again. I stopped . I look the gauge it went up and stopped went down
Looked at my coolant level empty. Lucky i had a spare coolant bottle filled with water. Almost the whole thing filled.
Two ago weeks till now i ran it with just water bc i never had time to buy coolant and mayb that y it overheated now.
Now im dealing with this. Hope to get coolant tomorrow.
Its night and cant check till 2morrow. But i hear like a leak somewhere. Idk
Idk how long i drove it overheated.
Is my motor blown im hella worried? I also hope to check tomorrow.
And i hope its just a leak easy ti fix.
Did i mess up anything driving with out almost empty radiator coolant.
Idk im worried and check 2morrow.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: civic overheated driving no is my car blown?

Once these cars overheat its a 90% chance of a blown head gasket. I have no idea why you would drive around with just water?? Assuming the headgasket didn't blow you will need to flush the system out and re-fill it with Honda coolant.

Get a pressure tester and find the leak. It's most likely a hose somewhere. Also check/replace the thermostat.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: civic overheated driving is my car blown?

You probably warped your head, blew out your head gasket, lifted your head, or all of the above. If the car is still losing coolant, pull the head, get it flattened, get the block leveled, replace the head gasket, and check the piston tops for damage.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic overheated driving no is my car blown?

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Once these cars overheat its a 90% chance of a blown head gasket. I have no idea why you would drive around with just water?? Assuming the headgasket didn't blow you will need to flush the system out and re-fill it with Honda coolant.

Get a pressure tester and find the leak. It's most likely a hose somewhere. Also check/replace the thermostat.
So assuming is not blown how do i check it without a pressure tester. Tomorrow i hopes its just the hoses etc radiator. And if its just the radiator leak etc.
If fix the leak how will i now tell if its head is blown?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To properly find the leak you need to go to the autostore and buy/rent a pressure tester. Unless you visually see which hose(s) are leaking. Check the top of the rad as well.

If the headgasket is blown there will be water mixing with the coolant or vise versa. Another sign is white smoke out of the tail pipe and a big loss in power.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To properly find the leak you need to go to the autostore and buy/rent a pressure tester. Unless you visually see which hose(s) are leaking. Check the top of the rad as well.

If the headgasket is blown there will be water mixing with the coolant or vise versa. Another sign is white smoke out of the tail pipe and a big loss in power.
Thanks but do u think my motor still have a chance its not blown? When i driving it still felt same power but idk.
Im anxiously waiting tomorrow to check.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

STOP trying to butt dyno to see if you lost any power. Just stop it. Now. If there is a problem, you're only going to make it worse and do more damage. If your car is driveable right now, the motor isn't technically blown. Keep up with the antics, and it will be blown.

Get a pressure tester. Better yet, get a leakdown tester. Use it. There are more than a dozen write-ups and how tos all over the forums. If your motor is drinking coolant, SOMETHING is wrong, period.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is NOT always True! I have not once blown a headgasket and had coolant and oil mixed, either in the radiator OR oil pan! most of the times these headgaskets will blow out first inbetween cylinders 2+3 on the exhaust side and will just burn the coolant off.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it is a headgasket problem; it's not too difficult to change yourself. Grab a Haynes manual and look for DIY's (or i can send you a list of links i still have saved) it'll be incredibly helpful and easier + the pride of fixing your own car is irreplaceable.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671
If it is a headgasket problem; it's not too difficult to change yourself. Grab a Haynes manual and look for DIY's (or i can send you a list of links i still have saved) it'll be incredibly helpful and easier + the pride of fixing your own car is irreplaceable.
Could you PM me any links that would be useful for me. I have a b16 Del Sol and i'm always looking for new knowledge!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you are not sure how long you were running in the red? never noticed it as you were running all that time?

First off check for leaks hoses, radiator top seam leak.

As others said pressure check it, basically a tool you screw on the radiator and pump it this will force air to check for leaks.

Fix the leak if a visible one, refill with coolant and drive it and see if still overheats.

We can't assume you blew the gasket until you find your leak and check the car.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: civic overheated driving is my car blown?

Originally Posted by motegicivic
I assume you are not sure how long you were running in the red? never noticed it as you were running all that time?

First off check for leaks hoses, radiator top seam leak.

As others said pressure check it, basically a tool you screw on the radiator and pump it this will force air to check for leaks.

Fix the leak if a visible one, refill with coolant and drive it and see if still overheats.

We can't assume you blew the gasket until you find your leak and check the car.
Idk i saw the gauge almost to max red when going home. I assumed it just rosed then about ten minute or only five min drove about till i found a parkable spot. I stopoed again and thenwaited. Left key on. For fan
i drove again for about 3min stopped this time checked coolant level it was at night but heard a leak i took radiator cap off and then filled it with water. Waited again.
This time i drove home almost five to three minute tops.

In the morning i saw a hole at heater core hose went to napa and bought a hose. I installed it and it looks good. I flushed it with water and water looks clean but some looking left over coolant. Idk but no oil? I then put water and honda coolant. I noticed that now the thermostat is not openning. I ran the car for along time seems it dont look like its circulating. Im going to buy a thermostat from honda. Overall i drove it for along time and temp stays almost below half. Also feels like it still has same power. The thing im wonering is why the resivior coolant is filled and didnt drain into the radiator could be my raid. Cap bad? Also when it overheated.

Its a d15z1 motor and i still need to check the pressure tester leakdown. I hope i am lucky i also heard that the d15z1 motors have steel headgaskets? Am i still safe?Mayb tomorrow install also new thermostat. Or raid. Cap.
Do u think i blown my motor or what damage could i have done.

Last edited by EG-SIXV-TEC; 06-03-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why were you doing wide open runs in a z1?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You aren't taking anyones advice. You are mixing water with Honda Coolant which clearly states not to do that. You need a mechanic to look at and fix your car. You aren't inclined enough.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They usually lock threads when the OP is taking no ones advice.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it was a nice Honda engine rip lil Honda....
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the pressure check and the compression checks. The pressures seem to hold up and idk what else to check. I borrowed it from a mechanic he helped me check it. Its good to learn a few things. Does this mean my motor is blown. What else do i check. I put full coolant removed the water mixed. Idk they told me i could mix it o well. im hoping it holds well i keep checking it often. The temp stays below 1/2.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is it running? Any smoke out the tail pipe?

You know a compression check is different than a pressure check right?

If you did a compression check what were the numbers?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do u have any smoke coming from tail pipes