Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Noob Help Me Build A Beast

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Noob Help Me Build A Beast

Hi before I start my actual thread I'd just like to first say thak you for reading this, I would also like to point out I know very little about cars but sense I bought my 97 Honda Civic DX Sedan have been learning as much as possible. This car is my everyday car as well as my project car, I plan on having it until it passes away which knowing Honda's is a long ways away.

Ok then, my reason for posting this thread is to gather a good idea how I can turn my slightly upgraded civic into a street legal work of art haha. So basically I'd just like to get some general info on how to go about upgrading my car, priorities, and some cool build concepts would be awesome to see to help me visualize. I know thats alot of work to help a stranger so if you respond thank you.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Noob Help Me Build A Beast

The first thing i did when i got my civic was get an ebay intake. People say ebay is crap, but all it is is a pipe, with a filter, (Is having a higher grade metal pipe gonna make air go in faster than a cheap ebay pipe?) I switched the filter out for a weapon R filter. It is a noticeable difference in power/sound. I recommend that, its only $30. You can also put a small muffler if you want sound, i dont recommend anything over 2.5 inches though, it sounds horrible on civics, and no bodykits, wheels over 16", altezza tail lights, or huge wing.
I have an ebay intake, header, and off brand exhaust system, and it is a lot faster than stock, and sounds good with a quiet muffler. If you have money and want a lot of power, get a turbo kit, preferably not ebay. There is no other way to make your car "fast" without turbo on a D series. intake/header/exhaust will maybe add about 10whp, but a 10% increase will make your car a lot more fun than stock.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool thanks, yah I bought it a few weeks ago off a buddy it has a cold air intake, custom exhaust and all new wiring , I'll probably replace air intake and exhaust eventually just because id like to make this car my own so to say, thanks for the advice.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hi welcome ....just letting you no before everyone see's the tittle and comes here to bash on you lol .....first get suspension and upgrade your brakes...you cant go fast without stopping power...second etheri turbo it or swap dose are your only upgrades ....or just get the usal i/h/e and just make ej for looks etheri way if you need more info go to the FAQ and you find everything dere
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oooo and this thread would mostly get locked to
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DD + Project isn't going to work out well, unless you have a factory of little elves willing to do any motor work in less than 8 hours for you.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faqs-frequently-asked-tech-questions-1998336/

Go through that.

My best advice to you is to research, research, research. When you go to do something, if you plan on keeping the car for awhile. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! Trust me on this one. Because if you cheap out and buy poor quality parts they will break leading you to replace them with something of better quality.

There are certain things you can cheap out with. Like an intake. Before you do any sort of engine work to your car consider swapping it first, because honestly the d16s are pretty helpless unless you turbo them.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

They're still pretty helpless after you turbo them. D blocks are just...fragile compared to other Honda blocks.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
They're still pretty helpless after you turbo them. D blocks are just...fragile compared to other Honda blocks.
You are obviously pretty retarded. Making dumb *** statements that have no reference

http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/ne...-vitara-build/

Looks fragile to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CvdlJLes4

You can get to about 250 WHP with a bolt on turbo kit. Stock internals Then Rods start bending.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DD + Project isn't going to work out well, unless you have a factory of little elves willing to do any motor work in less than 8 hours for you.
I replaced the clutch and tranny in 4.. Motor swap in a little under 9-10
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by TheToaster
You are obviously pretty retarded. Making dumb *** statements that have no reference

http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/ne...-vitara-build/

Looks fragile to me.

You can get to about 250 WHP with a bolt on turbo kit. Stock internals Then Rods start bending.
Must be easy trying to act like you're tough **** on an internet forum, eh? How hard can a B, K, or J go before the rods/pistons/sleeves give out? I promise you, they can go further than a D can. Let me do you a favor. Get more than 29 posts under your belt, prove that you have at least a semblance of an idea about what you're saying, then start trying to act like the God of all things Honda. There are few people on this forum I would let call me "pretty retarded", and you aren't one of them.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My best advice is, browse this forum, go to the all motor section and check out other peoples builds. You don't want to do what someone else tells you. Find a few cars or builds that you like and go from there, don't let someone else tell you how to build your car, or you build it how they would. That's stupid. Research research research. I say do a months worth of research before you even put money into a first modification.

Also, second bit of advice, get the car in tip top shape before you do anything else. Replace gaskets, do a valve lash adjustment, change fluids, change belts, replace bushings, brakes, etc.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Must be easy trying to act like you're tough **** on an internet forum, eh? How hard can a B, K, or J go before the rods/pistons/sleeves give out? I promise you, they can go further than a D can. Let me do you a favor. Get more than 29 posts under your belt, prove that you have at least a semblance of an idea about what you're saying, then start trying to act like the God of all things Honda. There are few people on this forum I would let call me "pretty retarded", and you aren't one of them.
Another one of these people that think posts=knowledge, get real. Your getting all riled up over a stupid comment, attacking him, then saying it must be easy to act tough on the internet? Come on broseph. And it really didn't seem like he was acting like "god of all things honda".

BTW, if you think posts=knowlege, your 251 posts aren't helping you out in that department.

Cut the bullshit arguing ladies.

Edit: I wasted my post #1,500 on your bickering, thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just noticed your "street legal work of art" comment. Like DA9 said, do you. What you and I consider art on the road probably isn't the same thing, and I'd bet you can pick 10 random forum members, and none of them would agree on what is art, and what you should do. The only person who know's what's best for your car is you. When you run into problems, have questions, or just want to show off what you've decided on, some of us here will do what we can do help.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would have liked to see just one tech question asked by the OP to give him some validity. As it stands he looks like another Paul Walker wannabee.

OP, if you have a need for general info search the forums. The FAQs are the best place to start. If you have specific goals you want to attain then list those. If all you wanted to do was to start a Honda Civic bromance, you're in the wrong place. They have other areas of H-T for that.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do a slow build! It's take awhile years even but at the end it'll be worth the wait, work, and research. Like get any bottom end of a car "the block" and top end "the head" and but them together. Some things you'll hear in mix and matching motors is LSVtec B20Vtec ect...you should look into these build and see if they spark any interest in you....Then swap it in your car and make the car a sleeper lol I'd think that be tight, but then again the just me...LOL look though these forums so you learn how to inspect part before you buy them any/all parts, to see if they are what they are and if their in good working condition. I'm just raping up on a LSVtec motor and my slow build is an b20b "sleeved" block

BTW if your just doing it to learn...I'd just buy a motor and a helms service Manue,l buy any motor that you wanna learn how to build, sort of like a practice motor disassemble it and rebuild any thing if necessary, then reassemble it and then research how to drop a motor take your dx motor out and pop other motor in. If you like it keep it and sell your dx motor, if you dont sell it and get your money back maybe profit off it too lol this way you'll never be out of a motor if you goof up...idk... just advice take it or leave lol just throwing ideas up...LOL

Last edited by Mikey21; 01-18-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just noticed your "street legal work of art" comment. Like DA9 said, do you. What you and I consider art on the road probably isn't the same thing, and I'd bet you can pick 10 random forum members, and none of them would agree on what is art, and what you should do. The only person who know's what's best for your car is you. When you run into problems, have questions, or just want to show off what you've decided on, some of us here will do what we can do help.
Agreed. And when I read "street legal work of art", it's making me think this it what he wants.

LOL
Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I can honestly see where some people would think that's pretty badass. At least it was done right, even if we don't like the style. If I had to choose between that or riding the bus, I'd gladly drive that.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not say that... I spent 400 bucks on rods and pistons and making 440 on a z6 with a stock head and hx35... I have seen b series cylinders split at 300.. To make that power on a bseries your looking at 7 to 800 for rods and pistons
Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and then 600+ hp all day everyday. like to see D's pull that off with the same amount of money.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DirtyDA9
Agreed. And when I read "street legal work of art", it's making me think this it what he wants.

LOL
I feel like if i drive that, i will get jumped and my car stolen.

Last edited by Former User; 01-19-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Commment deleted - Racial slurs are not tolerated on this site.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey how'd you get a pic of my car?? lol ....d is the motor to turbo, but there alll good...k/b/h/d all can make good turbo power, just depends on setup
Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as under the hood, I'd like to just be able to come close to keeping pace with my buddy's rsx type-s its stock so it puts out 220HP. Is a D-Series able to tuned/upgraded to keep up and is a D-series worth turbo'ing or would I be better off saving some extra money and swapping for a B-Series in a few months? Thanks ,Chris.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What's your budget? You response will indicate the direction you will be able to take. You can build whatever you can afford.

Right now all you seem to want to do it go fast. If that's the case just buy an Ebay kit and go to town.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can spend about 400-600 a month I'd like to be finished by May/June for some sweet summer cruising haha

Quick Reply: Civic Noob Help Me Build A Beast