Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Cruise Control Problem

i have a 99' civic ex manual tranny. i am having a little problem with my cruise control. When the weather outside is warm 70 degree's F or more my cruise works fine without a hitch. However when the temperature dips below 70 my cruise control starts to act up. It will engage and work but when i set the speed it will usually throttle up about 3-5mph higher than i originally set it. This is not the big problem as when i go to disengage it. I have tried turning it off by tapping clutch/brake/ and hitting the on/off switch on the dash and it will give be about 10 to 30 seconds of still accelerating. This is a BIG problem even if i am braking it is still giving gas. It's scary and if i push in the clutch the rpms will go up into the 5000rpm range when they should go to idle.

I used to work at a honda dealership and i didn't want to pay for a new unit especially if that isn't even the problem, so i changed and checked all the vacuum lines to the cruise control unit and they are all fine. its really odd that this only happens when the weather outside is colder than ~70 degrees.

I am sure a lot of people will say "just don't use it" i got a car with cruise for a reason especially since i drive it over 60miles a day. being on the pedal sucks. hopefully someone has experienced this before and give some insight on what could be wrong.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Cruise Control Problem (dogbiscuit)

bump, help please?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well mine quit working for good so I dunno give this man a bump
Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Cruise Control Problem (96 EX)

Sounds like all the switches are working, etc... Check out the Cruise Control Module. It should be in to the upper left of the clutch pedal... (Correct me if Im wrong)... If you got a multimeter and the time check it out..

Not sure but that year, are they still vaccum boosted?? If so, also check to make sure all the lines are hooked up and in good shape.. No Leaks etc
Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 AM

bump for a fellow louisville honda-techer
Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Civic Cruise Control Problem

ever figure out what was wrong?? i have the same problem. accelerates and decelerates 5 mph when its cold outside
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, I just purchased A 1996 ex coupe and experiencing the same issue.

Any light on this?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Trial User

Had same problem with cruise on a 99 civic. The problem was a plugged vacuum discharge on the servo (larger hose that goes down into the frame). Cleared the hose with compressed air and works like new. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a thought maybe the rubber diaphragm in the control part. Dont know if the civic has one that new but if it does maybe your problem.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by dogbiscuit
i have a 99' civic ex manual tranny. i am having a little problem with my cruise control. When the weather outside is warm 70 degree's F or more my cruise works fine without a hitch. However when the temperature dips below 70 my cruise control starts to act up. It will engage and work but when i set the speed it will usually throttle up about 3-5mph higher than i originally set it. This is not the big problem as when i go to disengage it. I have tried turning it off by tapping clutch/brake/ and hitting the on/off switch on the dash and it will give be about 10 to 30 seconds of still accelerating. This is a BIG problem even if i am braking it is still giving gas. It's scary and if i push in the clutch the rpms will go up into the 5000rpm range when they should go to idle.

I used to work at a honda dealership and i didn't want to pay for a new unit especially if that isn't even the problem, so i changed and checked all the vacuum lines to the cruise control unit and they are all fine. its really odd that this only happens when the weather outside is colder than ~70 degrees.

I am sure a lot of people will say "just don't use it" i got a car with cruise for a reason especially since i drive it over 60miles a day. being on the pedal sucks. hopefully someone has experienced this before and give some insight on what could be wrong.

Thanks
First I should say i did not have this exact problem.
Maybe the brake switch is not working well.
I would check the actuator cable, that it moves freely. Maybe put some WD40 and some grease. Maybe there is old grease or debris in the cable sleeve. Does it also happen when you press the accelerator pedal?( the cable should go from the intake where the accelerator pedal opens the air intake to the cruise control actuator)
Either that or an electric, vacum problem.
Hope it helps in finding the solution.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Old thread locked.